How Large Are Cruise Ship Bathrooms?

simba2

DIS Veteran
How big is the toilet area of the bathroom on a cruise ship? Thinking of going on a RCCL cruise and am Pooh sized. Will the bathroom be too small for me? Is it larger than on an airplane? I find those too small. I really want to try cruising but am afraid that the bathroom size won't work. Are there public bathrooms that are larger than your stateroom one? Thanks in advance.

Well I'm 6'2" 250 lbs and I fit. But after 7 cruises I have yet to find a bathroom on a ship that offers a home sized bathroom. The public stalls are smaller.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. There is definitely more room than an airline washroom. The public washrooms are actually a little more cramped than your stateroom one. You may want to look at a higher category because they generally give you more square feet than the less expensive cabins. The brochures on each cruise line should give you a good idea of the square feet in each category.

Have fun - you are not alone!

Teresa :)

I'm not expecting a home-sized bathroom. I just want to have enough room to "use the facilities". Would you say it is bigger than an airplane bathroom? They are too small for me.

I'm 6'1" and over 300 pounds soaking wet. :teeth:

The potty areas are larger than airline bathrooms but smaller than the average mall stall. But I managed, I'm sure you will too.

Disney's bathrooms are definitely larger than RCCL's. On Royal Caribbean, they only have a shower, not a bathtub like on DCL. You will fit, but hopefully you are not claustrophobic!
Barb

sopandbass said:
simba2 ~

Don't worry, you'll have enough room. It's much larger than an airplane bathroom.

Lets be real. They ARE larger....however MUCH larger maybe a little deceptive. Some folks, thanks to the Love Boat, expect cabins and bathrooms to be the size a hotel room. Unless you get a suite, a typical Disney cabin is about 200 square feet. That's a room 10 feet wide by 20 feet deep, including the bathroom, (or bathrooms with most of Disney's cabins having the split bathroom). So plan to spend a week with your entire family in a space that is probably close to the size of your master bedroom....(unless you live in a mansion).

I cruised on Royal Caribbean's smallest ship, the Nordic Empress (now known as the Empress of the Seas) in 2003, and DH and I always left the bathroom door OPEN when we used it. It was just the 2 of us in the cabin and it just felt less claustrophobic that way.

Simba, I'm a larger person (you can see what I look like in the pics on my site), and I didnt really have a problem at all with the bathrooms on the RCI cruise or the bathrooms on the Disney cruise :)

Actually, it was the leg room (knee room) that seemed tight when using the toilet, rather than being tight width-wise, so I don't really think that overall weight was the issue, rather it was just due to the small size of the bathroom itself. If that makes any sense. lol

Don't know the exact measurements, but if I were to guess, I would say the toilet side of the split bathrooms is approximately 4 feet wide by 6 feet long. As you walk in, a small sink area is adjacent to the door, with the toilet itself sitting diagonally on the same side as the sink and partially along the back wall. So it sorta sits facing the biggest open area. i don't think width in that area is a big problem. I think you will be OK.
Alternatives you might want to consider would be a Cat 11 or 12 room, which do not have a split bath. The split baths COMBINED are larger than the single Cat11/12 bath, but the Cat11/12 bath alone is bigger than the toilet side of the split baths. The best alternative is to see if you can get a wheel chair accesable handicapped room. The bathrooms in those rooms are very large, as well as the room itself. To get one assigned I think you need medical documentation, but I know they do put non handicapped people in them when they are not needed. We were upgraded into one once and loved it! You might be able to tell DCL your issue and at least be put on a waiting list for one if it becomes available.

TALICSKAI - hmm, my name is Teresa, I live in Southern Ontario and we will be at WDW on the 27th of February. Are we the same person?? :)

We have been in a cat. 6 and a cat. 3. Yes, the split baths are small, I named the bath tub the baby tub but for little children it is perfect. The toilet area is cramped. Our cat. 3 was like being at home. If you want the comfort of home size baths then book a cat. 3 or above. A cat. 3 will have two bathrooms, one with toilet, sink and large shower and another in the master with two sinks, large whirlpool tub, a toilet in the same room as the large stall shower. The public toilet areas are tiny and the elevators are also the smallest elevators I have every been on--so tiny that I felt closed in and I am not a large person just average size. In spite of all that, I still love to cruise and Disney's ships are absolutely gorgeous. Happy Cruising, Kathy

here is a picture of the sink and I think the shower, the toilet and another sink are in a seperate area.

40947wonder_bathroom_cat_9.JPG

Both my husband and I are larger sized. I have no problem using the bathroom. I dont use the airline bathroom but my husband will.When taking a shower I am just careful when I turn around and just make sure the curtain stays shut. When using the toilet, I have no problem. My husband prefers to use the public bathroom on the ship though he has no problem in the shower. Both of us actually have a problem using the toilet at my inlaws because the toilet is actually in a teeny tiny alcove.

We both prefer to get a cabin with the split bath this way one can use one room while the other uses the other room.

Dont worry have fun. If you want further details you can PM me...

my3princesses said:
TALICSKAI - hmm, my name is Teresa, I live in Southern Ontario and we will be at WDW on the 27th of February. Are we the same person?? :)

Okay that is really wierd - I live in Paris - between Cambridge and Brantford. Where are you?

Teresa

Let me try to be tactful here.....the group that I travel with has several "super poohs" in it.....A couple of the guys were unable to use the toilet in the cabin in the "seated position" (trying to be tactful ;) ) Their solution was to locate the public handicapped accessible bathrooms on the ship map and go to those when absolutely necessary. They tried to be very curteous of the real Wheelie people and not break in front of them if they were in the area. I know this is not the best option, but sometimes when you have to go, you have to go.

I am very pooh sized also, but I used the cabin mostly but did laugh with my husband about being "cheeks to walls" sometimes.

Sorry for OVER SHARING here..........just thought it might help.

The things we share on the DIS :earboy2:

GritsGirl

Let me try to be tactful here.....the group that I travel with has several "super poohs" in it.....A couple of the guys were unable to use the toilet in the cabin in the "seated position" (trying to be tactful ;) ) Their solution was to locate the public handicapped accessible bathrooms on the ship map and go to those when absolutely necessary. They tried to be very curteous of the real Wheelie people and not break in front of them if they were in the area. I know this is not the best option, but sometimes when you have to go, you have to go.

I am very pooh sized also, but I used the cabin mostly but did laugh with my husband about being "cheeks to walls" sometimes.

Sorry for OVER SHARING here..........just thought it might help.

The things we share on the DIS :earboy2:

GritsGirl
This is what I was fearing for a seated position. Any idea where on the ship has the best manueverability in public restrooms?

It appears that a number of reply’s have overlooked the fact that the OP stated they were considering a RCCL cruise. While comparisons are helpful between the cruise lines the details about DCL only is less so. Couple of points to consider.

- Yes many of DCL’s cabins have the split bathroom and it does give more room overall but mostly that is around the shower side
- commode area on both lines are pretty similar, small but workable and in general yes bigger than the airplane
- the shower on the Oasis ships really is pretty cramped
- especially if you are a pretty “regular” person then it is always an option to use facilities outside of the room, a good morning walk or workout give perfect access to the gym facilities where you can usually also find locker rooms with bathroom with showers

It appears that a number of reply’s have overlooked the fact that the OP stated they were considering a RCCL cruise. While comparisons are helpful between the cruise lines the details about DCL only is less so. Couple of points to consider.

- Yes many of DCL’s cabins have the split bathroom and it does give more room overall but mostly that is around the shower side
- commode area on both lines are pretty similar, small but workable and in general yes bigger than the airplane
- the shower on the Oasis ships really is pretty cramped
- especially if you are a pretty “regular” person then it is always an option to use facilities outside of the room, a good morning walk or workout give perfect access to the gym facilities where you can usually also find locker rooms with bathroom with showers

As it was a question from 2005, I am sure the OP already has an answer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter