How long are the waits for the elevators on the Disney Magic?

Deck 5 around the corner from the Buena Vista Theatre is where my favorite staterooms are located. I use the stairs as much as possible, even when I wore a walking boot on the WBTA last year. This year will be our first time on deck 2, and I'm gearing up for the stairs to deck 9. :)

We were on Deck 2 on the Magic and spent a lot of time in the kids club. The stairs weren't a problem for that distance, although sometimes they were amazingly crowded too. Now going to the pool deck from our cabin was another story.

The lack of elevator etiquette - actually the downright rudeness of people - really bothers me. I have seen what you describe with ECVs. I frequently say something! :mad:
This is one of my major annoyances, both onboard and at WDW. People who can’t wait while an ECV loads or unloads; folks who stand in front of the doors, blocking the way for anyone trying to get out the door; people who can’t step aside to let you out from the back of the elevator for fear they’ll be left behind, etc. It’s no wonder many children don’t know how to manage on the elevators, since they just do what they’ve observed the adults around them doing.

We have been on the Magic twice; both times staying on Deck 6; and I don't feel that the wait time for the elevators going up or down was long. With most places being either 3 decks up or 3 decks down for us; we ended up using the stairs around 1/2 the time.

The only time that I felt that we had a long wait was coming back from the shore excursions while in the Med; but that was mostly due to the number lot of people using the elevators all at the same time.

Psy

This is NOT a true statement. When we were on Magic on Deck 1, we would be watching elevators coming down to the 3rd floor that would turn around and go back up. With normal elevator logic they keep going in the same direction if someone has called for one; on Magic they definitely kept the elevators during busy time going between the main dining and the upper levels and only occasionally sent an elevator down to 1 and 2. My family just decided that it was easier to walk up from 1, and to fight the cruise ship weight gain we ended up usually walking from 1 all of the way up to the pool deck, etc. It doesn't take that long to walk and it was good exercise.

This is true except on Embarkation/disembarkation day. When the crew is moving luggage they put the elevators on manual.

As for original poster, we love inside cabins. We never spend any time in the room anyway, so we think, we'd rather sail two inside cruises over one with a veranda.

We always try stairs most of the time, just to try to stay even with the food. Not saying we're 100%, be we do try.

I was on Deck 1 of the Magic this summer and had no problems with the elevators. We usually used the mid-ship ones and found them to be frequent and fast. No complaints whatsoever.

The lack of elevator etiquette - actually the downright rudeness of people - really bothers me. I have seen what you describe with ECVs. I frequently say something! :mad:

DH and I both have mobility issues -- during the muster drill the crew sees us struggling with the stairs and offer to let us use the elevator. We appreciate the courtesy.

On the Magic our absolute favorite cabin is an oceanview on the second deck near the aft elevator. It is only one floor up to the 3rd deck with so many things (restaurants, lounges, atrium, etc.) there (we walk up), and the elevator opens out on deck 9 in the perfect location. It's never been noisy, a cabin near the elevators doesn't put us down one of those l-o-n-g passageways, the views are terrific, the price is right, motion is comfortable...our sweet spot for everything.

We stayed on deck 2 midship on the Magic in May and we never had a problem with elevators. There are so many things on deck 3 and 4 that we often didn't need them. When we did need them for the pool deck, etc they were always fast. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

Now I just got off a RCI cruise on Allure on deck 8. We ended up waiting for elevators a lot longer.

I'm a little confused with the premise of OP's question; that if they switched to an oceanview from inside they would have to go to floor 2. There are oceanview rooms on decks 5 and 6 too.

I'm a little confused with the premise of OP's question; that if they switched to an oceanview from inside they would have to go to floor 2. There are oceanview rooms on decks 5 and 6 too.
The ocean view rooms on deck 2 are comparable in price to the inside room we already have on deck 5. The ones on deck 5 and 6 are priced significantly higher than what we’ve already booked. My DH is used to other cruise line prices since we’ve never cruised with Disney before so I don’t gave a lot of room left in the budget to upgrade. I was curious how the elevators were on the Disney ships, but especially for deck 2 cause it was a bad experience with the crowds at the elevators on Royal Carribean this summer when we were on deck 2. Everyone has been extremely helpful with tips and advice from their own experiences.

We stayed on deck 2 midship on the Magic in May and we never had a problem with elevators. There are so many things on deck 3 and 4 that we often didn't need them. When we did need them for the pool deck, etc they were always fast. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

Now I just got off a RCI cruise on Allure on deck 8. We ended up waiting for elevators a lot longer.
Thank you so much! We haven’t cruised in years and then seemed to wait for forever for elevators this summer on RCI, even if we went up a few decks. I didn’t know if it was like that on Disney or not!

To be honest, I've sailed the Magic on decks 2 and 5, and I prefer deck 2! It's nice and quiet, and honestly... the wait for the elevators was minimal, because they're typically empty at that deck. And ducking downstairs is easy. Plus is SUPER convenient for port days. I'm coming up on my 3rd cruise in a row on deck 2. It's our absolute favorite!

That being said, we didn't dislike deck 5 either (we were in an inside stateroom), and I don't remember any particularly ridiculous wait for elevators from there (although it's been about 10 years).

We were on the Fantasy on 9/8 to 9/15. Also had an ECV. We only had a couple of issues with the elevators, used the forward and aft elevators the most. Sometimes we had to wait for the next one, but for the most part people were friendly and accommodating.

They had these on the Fantasy, and I would assume they would be on the Magic too. If it seems too crowded, pick up one and the the ship will feel half full.

20180910_165609-3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter