How long have you ever gone without health insurance?

Kitty 34

Hums in her sleep
My son has one more year of college (he's a 5th yr Senior) but our insurance runs out on him this summer.

We will definetly be paying for the extension but it's amazing how many people I have run into who say they have lived a couple of years or so without any insurance.

Except for a couple of months the summer I graduated and until my insurance at my job kicked in, I have always had insurance. I never thought about it much, tho, those few months I didn't have it........must be part of youth!!!:D

How long have you gone without being covered???:D

He might be able to get coverage through his college. When I went back to college the 2nd time, I bought the family coverage for myself and my DD. I have never been without coverage in case of an emergency. My DB was in the hospital for awhile while in college that was unexpected.

My son faces this same problem next year.

I will have to ask about an extension. I didn't think it was allowed with our group heatlh plans.

My dh and I were just discussing this. DS graduates this coming week, but may go on to grad school.

Personally, we've never been without ins. Scary thought.

herc.

I went about 9 months when I graduated from College and before I began a "real" job. It didn't bother me too much, I paid for my annual physical in cash. I was young and healthy and knew I didn't have any major health problems. I did think twice about doing things like rollerblading though! I remember, putting on my rollerblades (I'm not good) and stumbling around, and then I took them right back off, thinking of what a broken arm would cost!!!

I may have to do it for a few weeks this summer as I change jobs and move to Fl. I have all my appointments scheduled before my current insurance runs out....

You just do what you have to do. If he's healthy and not accident prone, he'll be okay for a few months!

Holly

For those with children who are too old to be on their policy and are still in school, look into COBRA. It's more expensive but they will qualify as an overage dependent and in the long run it may be worth it.

As far as I know, not a single day. Same is true for my DH :)

I went a couple of years while in college. It was rough. But, I couldn't afford it. I did get to use the Baylor Medical Center on campus. My parents helped with my son. Now that he lives with them, he is on their insurance.

It was a long time ago but when I lost my job, I lost my insurance. After two years without insurance, I took a job at a lower wage just because it offered insurance. A couple of years later I was diagnosed with diabetes. I have insurance now and I pay through the nose for it thru a high risk insurance pool (but thank God for it!)

Originally posted by JustHolly
.....If he's healthy and not accident prone, he'll be okay for a few months!..
That is playing with a loaded gun. One illness or injury can have you paying for a lifetime. Taking out a temporay health policy is a very good, cost effective alternative for these type of situations.

I had no health insurance last fall while I was on the college program -- my dad's insurance company didn't feel that a co-op counted as me being enrolled as a full-time student.

(I only got one credit hour for the co-op, but the school still recognized me as a full time student while I was at Disney. The insurance company wanted me actually enrolled in 12 or more hours, and didn't care what the school said.)

I was fine 99% of the time I was down there -- went to CentraCare the one time I got sick enough to warrant it, and it was about $150. The doctor took pity on me and stocked me up with enough samples of medicine to last me once she learned I was on the CP with no insurance! (She said they're used to seeing that -- lots of people lose their insurance when they come down.)

I also wasn't covered by my parents' policy when I studied abroad (in Clermont-Ferrand, France) in high school, but they bought a supplemental policy to keep me covered.

Never. The one time I thought I was going to be UNcovered, after my divorce, my then-boss added me & DS on to his policy, at HIS expense (A TOTAL gift, imo) but, it turned out ex-dh never removed me and, if something HAD happened, DS & I would have still been covered but, I was concerned nonetheless. Not something I wanted to 'risk', especially with a child.

For about a year after college. The job market was really bad and the only job I could get was a temporary one - no benefits and I didn't make enough to afford insurance on my own. I was always afraid I was going to get in an accident or something.

Our insurance through DH's work is over $100 per week (HMO), I will be able to get insurance through my work next month at $8 per week (80/20 plan). I was going to swich DS and myself to the cheaper insurance (DH is free at his work), then DS ended up in the hospital (complex febrile seizure) for less than 48 hours. Total cost $32,000.00 (He was airlifted and in ICU). There has been another $3000 for meds and follow up visits with the neurologist. Since DS had another seizure 3 weeks later, we decided we will all stay on the expesive (but more comprehensive plan). I could not imagine not having insurance!

For about three months almost five years ago.

And, the shocker is, I had a younger child (less than a year) and a three year old.

MY DH just got laid off from a contracting position, and landed a "real" job. The insurance from the contracting position gave us a free "safety net" month.

We knew this was happening. Before that, my daughter got her check up (it was her 9 month if I remember correctly), my son got checked as well. -- we had a friend who knew the situation, and is a pediatrician... (gave us a free home checkup).

We also volunteer at a clinic. The advice we were given was to come to the clinic immediately if something happened.

Fortunately, we were fine. People that knew the situation asked us how we were doing....etc... and our friend said ask me anytime...

Kitty, are you very religious? An old co-worker was a born-again Christian and her "insurance" was actually a bunch of Christians nationwide who pooled their money in an account (much lower than most premiums) and the fund pays for any medical treatment of its members. She talked about her "find" all the time. Maybe you could get involved with something like that temporarily.

Just a thought.

Dan is right, COBRA is available. Most insurance companies offer short-term insurance as well (like Anthem) but when I looked into them, it was very pricey, $250-$300 per month. I was too poor to afford it, and my parents were upset I didn't go directly to graduate school, so they didn't offer to help! If you can swing, it, go for it. A $32,000 bill is scary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter