How long have you ever gone without health insurance?

I didn't have it for 2 weeks in between college graduation and starting work full-time. I was within the COBRA time limit on my dad's insurance though (and you can elect COBRA retro-actively for 60 or 90 days, I'm not sure which) if anything had happened. I plan to never be without it again if there is ANY way to avoid it AT ALL.

Originally posted by Kitty 34
Dan do you work in insurance??? You certainly are a wealth of information......much appreciated I might add!!;) :)
Kitty, benefits, individual and group, are a component of my practice, financial planning.

And all group plans allow a higher age, usually between 23 and 25, for those enrolled full time in college, as compared to the usual cutoff, age 19, if not enrolled. But even if enrolled, there is an upper age, like said, usally 23-25 as the oldest.

About 3 years and that was one of the scariest 3 years of my life because dd was sick alot and I just didn't know what I'd do if she had to be hospitalized. But fortunately she didn't.

Originally posted by PamOKW
My biggest fear is not having my insurance. I will cut back on other items to keep paying my premium. It's not the cost of a doctor's visit or a perscription you are weighing the odds against. It's something catastrophic happening. If you are in a car accident tomorrow I don't think your credit cards will pay the bill. Foreclosure on your home probably will.

I do have health insurance but I'm checking into ways to get my premiums lowered...somehow. :(

Am I wrong in thinking that your house will not be foreclosed on because of medical bills?
I know people who are slowly paying off enormous hospital bills.
As long as they make their small monthly payments, they seem to be doing okay.
I'm not saying it's the ideal way to do it, but many people simply can not afford health insurance and have to do what they have to do.
As I said in a previous post, it really makes me mad that the United States of America can not figure out a way to provide affordable, quality health care to it's citizens.
Americans who are barely making ends meet and struggle just to put food on the table, should not have to worry that they will lose their home if something happens to them and they need medical care. :(

I think it depends on your State laws, as to whether or not your home is protected, often you need to go the route of a formal bankrupcy.

I remember one time my Dad was in the hospital, there was a farmer in the next bed. He needed heart by-pass surgery and they were discussing whether or not they would need to sell their farm and their home or if they thought they could get enough of a second mortgage to cover the procedure.... it was very sad... you work hard your whole life and then you get to choose whether you want to live to a retirement age that you can no longer afford....

I understand your rationale about catastrophic events & cc payments, but, as a set $500./$600./$700. per month is not even close to reachable 5 out of 12 months per year, as I said, we just keep our health in prayer and also rely on the fact that a car accident will be covered by car insur./property acc. by prop. ins./work by wrkmns comp/disab., etc.
Others may see this as naive, but I don't think so. Our strongest assest is our faith. From there - everyone is in the same boat - insur. or not.:D

I've only been without insurance for about 2 years. When I married DH in 1991 we had insurance through the military of course. When DH separated in 2000 I started insurance through Ruby Tuesday's. So with the exception of those two years from the age of 18-20...DH and I have had health insurance for the last 12 years. :D

Interesting and very pertinent thread. DS graduates from college Friday, and we just received notice last week that he's being dropped from our policy (Duh! Somehow we hadn't thought about this, since he's not a student now). And in this less than stellar economy, he doesn't have a job in sight. So all your comments have been interesting.

I have been without insurance since I got laid off from a long term job in February 2002. My position was downsized tremendously and made it impossible to find a job in what I was trained for. I had to take a job making a lot less money and I opted out of the health insurance because it was just too expensive. It is a scary thing to go without, but I just keep praying!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter