How long is to long in Orlando and the parks?

Tasscrapper

I belive in dragons, unicorns, good men and other
We are a family of six with the youngest being 19. My kids grew up going to Disneyland but two of them don't care for it anymore . . . when they got rid of Tower of Terror that was it for them, lol.
We are wanting to do a 'last' family trip before people start moving out. Originally we thought we would do Universal then it changed to Disney World and now I'm wanting to add Seaworld and Busch Gardens in Tampa. o_O Aarrrrgggg. I have one who really wants coasters and Disney World just doesn't have many. We aren't interested in Animal Kingdom but for sure want a day in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and possibly Epcot. I really want to do Seaworld and Busch for the coasters and the shows. But it would be nice to do Islands of Adventure and possibly Universal Studios although that looks like the least interesting of all parks to me. I am crazy?? I feel crazy. :crazy: We would be staying in a condo, have a rental car and looking at 9-11 days but could probably stretch to 12. I'm just wondering if it's nuts to try and do that much? Should we just do a couple more days at Disneyworld or try to fit Universal in? I kind of feel like if we've already paid airfare for everyone we should do what we can.

Coasters? Universal and/or Busch Gardens. Honestly, we really don't go to Disney any longer. How long is too long in Orlando? My daughter lives a little east of there. We live off of I-4 almost in the middle between Orlando and Tampa. We love it here but theme parks aren't our primary thing. YMMV.

Probably depends on your budget and how long your typical vacations last when you go to other places. For some, a week is more than enough for Disney/Orlando/Universal, but some others like to stay longer. I agree Disney isn't the place for your family if mostly interested in coasters/thrill rides. I think as children get older, they find Disney/cartoon characters less appealing. Kennedy space center might be of more interest, particularly if you have never been there. Parks can also involve MILES of walking and if you go during a time of year when it is really hot, most people run out of steam after a few days.

If flying and renting a car you are also a bit more limited on what all you can bring with you. Longer trips would involve doing laundry and not sure if that is your thing or not while on vacation.

When we lived on the west coast we used to come out for two to three weeks at a time. Just make sure to schedule in some rest days for pool or shopping

Unless you specifically want to try the Sea World coasters, there's no need to go there since Universal also has high-thrilled coasters, but with better themes.

When was the last time you went to WDW and Universal? Guardians at Epcot is a mesmerizingly beautiful coaster. Expedition Everest at AK and Hagrid's at IOA have absolutely amazing themes. The Bourne show at Universal Studios is visually stunning.

SeaWorld’s website says they’re “The Coaster Capital of Orlando.” Looks like they have 5 big coasters and some of them are only a couple years old. I wouldn’t count them out.

I haven’t ridden yet, but Guardians at Epcot sounds like a can’t miss coaster.

Islands of Adventure has Hagrid’s (so fun) and Velocicoaster is a big one.

Hollywood Studio’s only big coaster is RnR, which is closed now for refurbishment. But sounds like you might want to experience ToT again. :)

Tron is new at MK.

No experience with Busch Gardens Orlando Tampa.

OP, if you have the budget, I would think 2 weeks is plenty of time even if you do all the parks. :)

Edit: correction

2nd edit: I looked up Busch Gardens and they have 8 coasters (+ a kiddie one) and a new one scheduled to open in the spring. I see your dilemma, OP! Good luck

Last edited:
I take back what I said about SeaWorld. I remember them sending me emails on Pipeline, a coaster where you stand. If I were younger, I'd be very excited about this.

I think a lot depends on when your planning to visit and if you’re willing to pay to skip lines and hop parks. If your family is willing to rope drop, buy hopper passes and Genie Plus/Express passes, your family could easily get everything done in a week. It just depends on how relaxing of a vacation you’d like to have.

Sea World has 5 unique coasters. I consider them more of a coaster park than a fish one . Islands of Adventure has 3. I wouldn't spend a whole day at Universal since it's mostly screen rides (unless you're a Harry Potter fan). You may want to get a park hopping pass to Universal so that you could ride Rip TIde Rocket and the Mummy on the same day as IoA.. I personally wouldn't drive all the way to Busch Gardens since the drive time complicates travel, but if your son is seeking coasters, Busch Gardens does have 10 and they are much more thrilling than what Disney has to offer.

I think it has more to do with your party's tolerance for being away from home, than with any Orlando-specific consideration. For my family, any trip over a week starts to feel like too long: even if we're having a blast, we begin to miss our pets, our friends, and our own beds.

Last edited:
I think we've eliminated Universal from the mix. We're looking at 11 or 12 days and I don't want to be going at full out pace the whole time. We're more interested in some quality memories. I'm just trying to be realistic with my groups physical capabilities. We also might trying to do an airboat tour while we are there too. Thanks to everyone for the input.

We are a family of six with the youngest being 19. My kids grew up going to Disneyland but two of them don't care for it anymore . . . when they got rid of Tower of Terror that was it for them, lol.
We are wanting to do a 'last' family trip before people start moving out. Originally we thought we would do Universal then it changed to Disney World and now I'm wanting to add Seaworld and Busch Gardens in Tampa. o_O Aarrrrgggg. I have one who really wants coasters and Disney World just doesn't have many. We aren't interested in Animal Kingdom but for sure want a day in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and possibly Epcot. I really want to do Seaworld and Busch for the coasters and the shows. But it would be nice to do Islands of Adventure and possibly Universal Studios although that looks like the least interesting of all parks to me. I am crazy?? I feel crazy. :crazy: We would be staying in a condo, have a rental car and looking at 9-11 days but could probably stretch to 12. I'm just wondering if it's nuts to try and do that much? Should we just do a couple more days at Disneyworld or try to fit Universal in? I kind of feel like if we've already paid airfare for everyone we should do what we can.
I would stay as long as I can!!! And if roller coasters are a must then you need to do Universal. FYI, SeaWorld doesn't really do any shows anymore. We went last year and it wasn't what it used to be in terms of shows, and I get why. Having said that, they have some pretty cool roller coasters! We used to pack in WDW and both Universal parks in just over 2 weeks but now we just do WDW for almost 2 weeks and Universal as a separate trip for one week with a lot of resting between park days. I'm the same way about air fare and doing as much as we can while there.

Before the pandemic WDW had wonderfull discounts for European citizens. This made us stay at WDW for two weeks! And after these weeks we went to Universal for a week as well. We had 21 days entrance to themeparks and we sure went every day. In the middle of summer, in Florida rain, humid and heat, but we really had a blast and made some unforgettable memories.
Just enjoy your time with your family and go with the flow. You cannot do themeparks commando style for so many days (-:

I would stay as long as I can!!! And if roller coasters are a must then you need to do Universal. FYI, SeaWorld doesn't really do any shows anymore. We went last year and it wasn't what it used to be in terms of shows, and I get why. Having said that, they have some pretty cool roller coasters! We used to pack in WDW and both Universal parks in just over 2 weeks but now we just do WDW for almost 2 weeks and Universal as a separate trip for one week with a lot of resting between park days. I'm the same way about air fare and doing as much as we can while there.
We watched some you tube videos about Universal that went through each land and ride and between the two parks my son thought there were only 3.5 coasters. Where he got the half from I don't know. Lol. What do you mean Sea World doesn't have shows anymore I thought they did? I started reading google reviews and now I'm wondering if Sea World is worth going to or not. Has anyone here been recently and what did they think about it?

We watched some you tube videos about Universal that went through each land and ride and between the two parks my son thought there were only 3.5 coasters. Where he got the half from I don't know. Lol. What do you mean Sea World doesn't have shows anymore I thought they did? I started reading google reviews and now I'm wondering if Sea World is worth going to or not. Has anyone here been recently and what did they think about it?
I was a pass holder last year although I let it lapse at the end of December. Whether it’s worth going depends on what you like. If you are really interested in marine life then it’s definitely worth going. Or if you like lightly themed roller coasters, then Sea world has some good ones. Or if you have kids really into Sesame Street.

It’s not as well themed as Disney and sometimes customer service or quality isn’t great, but it’s often much cheaper.

Hi I’m a local, I live in Winter Garden which is out what the call the back gate.

You can easily do 2 weeks, as long as you take a break, break everything up no commando touring. Suggestions like a couple of days at the pool, shopping,mall if Millennial and the outlets at the end of I drive. Sleep in stay up late and watch movie with pop corn and lots of junk food.

There is a lot more to do than just the major theme parks, suggestions, Gatorland is a fun half day and it’s quite relaxing and educational as well. Head over to The Cape that a nice day fun and again educational. We are taking our grandson there during spring break.

Beach day for sure. Cocoa Beach is nice check out Shepard park, it’s next to where the cruise lines go out, make a stop at Ron Jon’s surf shop. The gulf beaches are nicer and more calm.

St. Augustine a visit to the fort is always fun! Gr

Discovery Cove is awesome check it out!

Disney water parks are the best, the theming is the best, water coasters, rides, and lots of shades, and places to chill out.. if it’s in the price point you might want to think about one of the private cabana’s, we do this now with our family, for us the price is worth it to us.

We really don’t care for universals water parks at all. The reason is no shade and beyond long lines, not enough space or beach chairs.. we went for free and stayed less than a hour and left. I would have been really mad if we had paid.

Busch Gardens for us is just well okay.. It’s a long way to go, the traffic on I 4 is a nightmare! Not worth the time to drive in my opinion. it’s not what it once was.

I would suggest, doing Disney and Universal both have more than enough to offer everyone. Disney Springs has a lot to offer movies, the water boats, the ballon.. plus lots of good shopping, and dinning.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful time.

Sorry about the typos I’m riding in the car.. lol

Speaking specifically to the Disney side of things, get park hopper tickets. You're traveling across the country and have a mixed group (meaning dividing and conquering will be huge for appealing to everyone). We are a family of 5 (8,6,2) and while we stayed together most of the time, on our last day we let each of the older kids pick their "I absolutely wanna ride this" options. Having park hopper, genie+, and flexibility allowed us to really crush it in terms of riding everything we wanted, often multiple times.
Sounds like you're very experienced with "disney" so I won't lecture too much, however, I will throw this in there as possibly my biggest piece of advice.
***IF at all possible, (and I mean if there is even the slightest chance, you need to do it) you need to coordinate your Disney park days with an onsite reservation. Even if its just for 2 or 3 days of your trip. I tell everyone that will listen, early park entry is an absolute gamechanger. Just as an example: we rope dropped AK one morning, @0700, I booked our 1st genie+ for the 0850 safari tour (a time when the animals are often most active). We went straight to Avatar at rope drop, and were on the 1st group to ride flight of passage. We got off and walked straight on to Navi river journey, no wait. We then walked to the other side of the park, to Everest. We were able to ride it twice easily, and my 6 yr old even hopped on a 3rd time with his grandparents who were staying off site and had just made it through the gates. We then went to our genie+ reservation for the safari, and while on this, I made a genie+ reservation for mickey and minnies runaway railway in Hstudios. After we exited the safari, we took some picture at some of the cooler spots on the way to the exit. To recap, by 10AM, we had ridden (in my opinion) all of the must-do's at AK, and had a reservation on my favorite ride in Hstudios. By staying on site, utilizing early entry and genie+, we set our whole day up for success, regardless of what else happened, and we could let ride times genie+/LL availability etc determine how the rest of the day went. I was able to get a LL for all of us for Guardians for that evening, so we ended up spending a lot of time in Hstudios, did several shows (love the indiana jones one) and rode several things before hopping over to epcot. When we rope dropped Hstudios the next park day, there were no stressful decisions or long line waits, bcz we had knocked several things out the day before. We went straight to rise of resistance, setup rider swap, my wife rode with the older 2, and I took our daughter to ride runaway railway again. Then me and the oldest rode tower of terror while the other 3 went to toy story mania. We met back at millennium falcon smugglers run and rode it with minimal wait. I rode RoR with the boys on our way out.
***Full disclosure, your efficiency is definitely tied to your willingness/ability to put in some steps, but maintaining flexibility is the name of the game. This may not sound appealing to everyone, however, if I'm spending the time and $, I wanna get the full experience and not spend all day standing in line for 5-6 rides, that's just me.
Some other points:
- I haven't been in years, however, Islands of Adventure was always a great stop for coasters. I have heard great things about Hagrid's motorbike.
- Disney's game is more to provide a complete immersion experience than coaster style thrill, however, each park has some that I would say are very good for your thrill seekers. I'm 33 and in terms of roller coasters, all of the following are very fun.
MK: Tron, Big Thunder Mountain RR, Space Mountain
AK: Avatar flight of passage is awesome and very unique, Everest is a great wooden coaster (even better towards the front, and very neat at dusk/night), and the immersion factor is top notch
HS: Tower of terror is fun, maybe Rockin RC will finally be open someday? More of an experience based/themed park and honestly kind of light on coaster type rides, especially with the continual unavailability of its main coaster.
EPCOT: I've heard Test track is fun, chose to ride guardians 3x instead though...
Guardians is its own animal, just a completely incredible experience. Hope some of this helps.

Staying on site is not happening this trip. . . we have condo points and with 6 people we need that space. We used to be rope droppers . . . we are planning to get there as close to open but with early entry for guests onsite I realize most of the benefits of rope drop probably won't apply. Even if we were on site it would be an extremely hard sell to get 4 of the people up at 6:30 or 7 am. Since our old days of Disneyland our family dynamic has changed and that hard core going is just really not a possibility anymore. I'll have to rent a scooter and probably still have to take breaks and have built in down days. I will look into the possibility of park hoppers. I keep hearing that only Magic Kingdom is worth doing a whole day which kind of surprised me but perhaps it shouldn't since everything is so spread out. I love the compactness of Disneyland. I think I really need to delve into the non ride options at the different parks. We are not foodie people and really don't plan on doing any restaurants at the resorts. I keep hearing about the Skyliner and have a youtube video about it ready to watch. I'm thinking it might make park hopping more feasible.

Staying on site is not happening this trip. . . we have condo points and with 6 people we need that space. We used to be rope droppers . . . we are planning to get there as close to open but with early entry for guests onsite I realize most of the benefits of rope drop probably won't apply. Even if we were on site it would be an extremely hard sell to get 4 of the people up at 6:30 or 7 am. Since our old days of Disneyland our family dynamic has changed and that hard core going is just really not a possibility anymore. I'll have to rent a scooter and probably still have to take breaks and have built in down days. I will look into the possibility of park hoppers. I keep hearing that only Magic Kingdom is worth doing a whole day which kind of surprised me but perhaps it shouldn't since everything is so spread out. I love the compactness of Disneyland. I think I really need to delve into the non ride options at the different parks. We are not foodie people and really don't plan on doing any restaurants at the resorts. I keep hearing about the Skyliner and have a youtube video about it ready to watch. I'm thinking it might make park hopping more feasible.
Skyliner is cool for going between hollywood and EPCOT, but thats mainly it. Also, The skyliner travels from the front of hollywood, to the back of EPCOT, and there is a stop in between where you have to changeover. It is really neat, and fun to ride, however, its not like riding the monorail. Meaning its not exactly a more efficient way to travel than the buses, especially if you want to be in the front of EPCOT.

Hey OP! Have you looked at Discovery Cove tickets? We got a great deal on a one day with dolphin swim that comes with 14 days of visits to Sea World, Aquatic and Busch Gardens Tampa, including parking. This will be our first time to Discovery Cove and it's been years since we've been to the other three. The tickets were a great deal. Even if we only go for a few hours on a few days. I believe there's a Sea World Aquatics combo ticket that's also a nice price. We've stayed in a condo/timeshare many times in Orlando, for a week or two at time and find there's plenty to do and plenty of time to relax. It's a nice balance. Best of luck planning, it sounds like it will be a great family trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter