• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how many tents at ft. wilderness

darcigo

Earning My Ears
Good morning everyone! It's been a few years since the first and only time we camped at the fort. I saw someone's post. .they were there for 3 weeks (jealous) and they had 2 tents. One looked like it was for sleeping and the other for the table, cooking and storage. Great idea btw! We are looking at tent camping with my mom. She has her own tent and we will have ours. But can we bring a 3rd tent for the table and storage? I love that idea. We have a pop up, but we only use it for sleeping. No cooking in it or any bathroom facility. thanks for the help! :worship:

The guidelines are suppose to be just two tents. But I don't know if I picked up that info from the DIS boards or FW or what. I will say that there were many and when I say many I mean about 1/3 of the sites including RV sites had two and three set-ups. I know there were at least 3 sites in the 1500 loop that had three tents at any given time. I was surprised to see so many RV & TT sites that had large enclosed trailers and some with 2 tents set up along their 40 ft rig. Looked like maybe there other family members were joining them or just extended stayers that need the room. The other guideline is one car per site but more that 1/3 had two or more cars at any given time. I don't mind all the extra tents and enclosures but I do mind all the extra vehicles. Really kind of takes away from the beauty of the fort if you ask me.

We loved having our second tent as a kitchen tent! Was it needed? No. But it sure made things nice and roomy :)
The shelves to hold our food was awesome, coffee pot a must have in my book and everything else was just fluff. The folding card table was nice but it was mainly for the kids as they used it for Lego building and just a quiet space to look at books, etc. We ate all our meals at the picnic table or inside our sleeping tent, sitting on the carpet watching tv.

I would suggest calling and having them note on your reservation that you will be bringing three tents and hopefully they can accommodate your set-up. If you find that their is not enough room on your tent pad you can always pitch it along the pavement, you just have to get creative on the tie down.

I loved your idea with the shelves. We always take a crock pot, the keurig, toaster. Just the thought of having a big area to store the food n coolers is getting me excited to stay camping now. Even with a pop up! We live in nepa, so we are a few months away before we can camp locally. Lol.

When you guys say a kitchen tent do you mean an actual real tent or just something like an Easy up canopy? I couldn't see using a cramped tent for cooking.

We use two tents and a dining fly/canopy thats not an easy up but a 12 by 12 tarp with poles, lines and stakes but not at WDW.

They used a tent for their kitchen. She has great pics of it. Not a dome tent. It has to be a stand up size tent. I would def use it!

I used a second tent for my kitchen area and didn't find it to be cramped at all. My husband is 6 ft 6 in and never felt cramped in it while cooking. We considered a screened in easy up but wanted something that would keep everything dry in case of rain. Also a second kitchen tent made for a quiet private area that we could also keep warm.

When you guys say a kitchen tent do you mean an actual real tent or just something like an Easy up canopy? I couldn't see using a cramped tent for cooking.

We use two tents and a dining fly/canopy thats not an easy up but a 12 by 12 tarp with poles, lines and stakes but not at WDW.

We used one tent and a LARGE screened dining fly/canopy to cover the picnic table and our cooking "stuff" and that is all I can imagine on one site. Who needs a separate "cooking tent"?

People who pitch more tents may not be including all the people in their reservation that are staying there?

I wish the one vehicle rule was enforced.

Last edited:

I do. I need/like two tents.

Besides there really isn't a difference between a dining canopy and a dining tent is there?

If we are going that route then one could argue...

Who needs an RV a camper will work just fine. OR Who needs a camper a tent will work just fine. OR Who needs a deluxe hotel when a value hotel will work just fine....

Last edited:
I think he meant more than two (refer back to the original post). I love your pics by the way.

Last time we camped and plan to do the same this this time we will have a sleeping tent, screen room tent and a popup!

There is a rule about only two tents (and also one about only one car) per campsite. But it is often not followed like in this photo I took last month:

But...

Like mentioned above, though, I think the rule is on paper to discourage over-crowding a site with a ton of people plus you are supposed to keep the tents on the crushed shell pad and not off in the grass, brush, and bushes which would damage the undergrowth.

So IMO the OP should be okay as long as they keep it on the pad or driveway.

Bama Ed

I completely agree with your logic ilovedisneymm. I like to camp but after awhile I miss having organized private space. It's just me and the DH but our tent has a sectioned off sleeping area, a section for clothing storage/dressing area and a large screen room to relax in. I will normally camp with my sisters and thier families about 9 of us. We reserve a few sites but gather on the site with the dinning tent.

My DH, on the other hand, could pack a sleeping tent and sit in the sun all day. Goodness bless him, not me.

I was there 2 weeks ago and a "park ranger" or whatever they're called said that Disney would only put two tents on a pad and they would allow a third on the pavement.

I loved your idea with the shelves. We always take a crock pot, the keurig, toaster. Just the thought of having a big area to store the food n coolers is getting me excited to stay camping now. Even with a pop up! We live in nepa, so we are a few months away before we can camp locally. Lol.

Awww, come on just because there is a couple feet of snow on the ground, why not go camping ?? Just kidding. Before you know it the campgrounds here in NEPA will be open and it will be time to relax in the campground. Until then, it is a trip to the Fort for my camping fix.

Last Thanksgiving the site next to us had a Class A motorhome and two canopies. Plus two large family tents and one small 2 person tent which he placed them so it would be half behind my site and half behind his site, in the wooded area. One would think one of the large family tents was mine. He got mad because my grandson walked in the wooded area behind our site, telling him no cutting through. Which we understand that he was worried that someone would go near the tents. I just told my grandson to stay away and don't go in the wooded area. They had three families on their site. So I would guess as long as you don't have more than ten it's okay?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter