How many times during your working career did you think about slapping a co-worker across the face?

Before I started my own career, I worked in an office that got medical and other records for lawyers, copied them, and then sent them back to wherever they came from. My job was to open the mail, take the records and record what kind they were into the computer, and then go into the file room and pull the associated subpoena and staple it to the records. I then had to go back to and enter that I'd attached the subpoena. Easy enough. Then I walked around with a cart distributing the records to the people who would actually be in charge of them.

One day I got called into the manager's office, and told that a set of records had gone to someone without an attached subpoena. That was impossible. I literally could not distribute the records without a subpoena stapled to them. I said so, and offered to look up the records on the computer. Right there in the listing for that record was my notation of a subpoena being attached. I even knew who I gave the records to because her name was in the listing so I could distribute stuff properly.

Long story short, after I left the manager's office I went to this girl and told her I'd pulled and attached the subpoena. She then confessed that she'd lost it and told the manager that I'd made a mistake because she'd get into more trouble than me. I said something like, "so you decided to stab *me* in the back to save your own skin?" Affirmative. They had to get another subpoena I think but I'm not sure, and it was on my record as my mistake. Yeah, I wanted to pop her one.

After that incident I always made an extra note in the computer that so-and-so received the records with the subpoena. If we'd had cell phones back then I would have taken photos of every set of records with the subpoenas attached.

I was on a call an hour ago with a man I wanted to slap upside of his head.

I work with some of the smartest people I've ever met at my current job, people from around the world. However, I also work with some real doozies.

As I have posted before, the trend in my industry regarding managers was to hire people who were on the "management track". That often included young, inexperience high energy people. To the point that they had no experience in doing the jobs of the people they supervised. Most understood that, and took time to at least observe what the people they supervised did, and ask questions about how they did their job and why. Then there are a few who did not, and had no interest in knowing. Yet they wanted things done that either were not possible, or that could jeopardize relationships with groups we interacted with on a regular basis.
I had a manager ask me to call a Judge and ask why our request to have a camera in his courtroom was rejected. In California, cameras can be in the courtroom, but there is no requirement to have cameras in the courtroom. It is totally at the whim of the Judge. And this Judge was in a County where the Judges had agreed among themselves never to allow cameras in their Courtrooms. When I called this Judge's clerk.....I started with "My boss wants to ask the Judge....." I got a "Judge's don't answer questions about their rulings.... and YOU should know that". Yes, I did, and she KNEW I did, but I had to make that phone call.

Worked for my father's company. His VP once SHOUTED at me in front of everybody for something that wasn't even in my department. He just felt like taking it out on ME. When I shouted back at him he pointed his finger in my face and told me to never shout at him again.... in that moment I wanted to physically hurt that man not just slap him. However I just pointed back at him and told him I was speaking the way I was spoken to.

Only once. I worked with a woman who definitely had an attitude. She was even rude to customers. It was a very small business and I worked directly with her every day. She could be fine one moment and an absolute witch the next. I literally got sick to my stomach when I’d pull into the lot and see her car. I was so glad when she finely quit!

A previous boss of mine had a "no slapping" rule in the office. Whenever someone irked us, we often said it was a good thing we had that rule.

I now keep a Slinky on my desk to remind me that some people serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs. Given to me by another previous boss. Hmmm....

None. I would never consider it.
I should have worded my original post better. I never would have slapped my former boss, as much as I thought she deserved it. She just made me so angry at times it was fun to think about what her reaction would be if I really did.

Never. Not even during my military years. Apparently, though, I show my thoughts and feelings transparently with my looks and I've never been known to hold back what I really think. At least, that's what I've been told. :rolleyes:

Never. Not even during my military years. Apparently, though, I show my thoughts and feelings transparently with my looks and I've never been known to hold back what I really think. At least, that's what I've been told. :rolleyes:
What branch of the military were you in? Were you ever a drill sargeant?

I have kind of an awful supervisor, but I rarely have to interact with her. Just extremely insecure, passive aggressive for no reason. The other higher ranking people I work with are all fantastic, amazing people who I genuinely like very much. I am super fortunate for that. Never thought about slapping someone, though! lol

Twice in two different organizations with the same type of manager. I wanted to punch this woman in December at my current site as she was being her usual critical self toward me while my mother was dying in the hospital. I left her bedside to attend this so called meeting. My mother died two days later; I served notice one week later. My last day is June 14 because of this person. I will definitely be letting her know she caused an educator with 43 years under her belt to quit. SMH

Twice in two different organizations with the same type of manager. I wanted to punch this woman in December at my current site as she was being her usual critical self toward me while my mother was dying in the hospital. I left her bedside to attend this so called meeting. My mother died two days later; I served notice one week later. My last day is June 14 because of this person. I will definitely be letting her know she caused an educator with 43 years under her belt to quit. SMH
Don’t just let her know. Ask for an exit interview with HR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter