How many years do you get out of a mattress?

china mom

DIS Veteran
We need a new mattress already. I am not a small woman but I know many larger people out there but the "people dents" as I like to call them are becoming unbearable. I can't find out paperwork but for some reason I am thinking that we have only had this mattress for 8 years. And we have had the people dents for a while now. I am not buying cheap. The one I just ordered was $3,000 for the mattress alone.

Am I the problem? How long is everyone else getting out of a mattress?

I have no clue what the average is supposed to be... we just replaced our king mattress which was 10 years old. It was getting really bad.

On the other hand, my daughter is still using my full mattress from when I was a kid -- my parents bought it in 1989. It's still perfect.

However we are all on the smaller side (I'm 5 foot, husbands 5 foot 5, kids smaller than that obviously). But I feel with proper structure and support it shouldn't matter TOO much??

funny, we just got a new bed this week.
we didn't have a traditional mattress, we had a Sleep Number bed and it was 15 years old. We replaced it with another Sleep Number bed and expect to get the same amount of time at least. I need to be better about using the 'warranty' to replace parts that break down - sooner than needed to extend the life

My mattress is probably 15-20 years old. I paid $3,800 for it back in the day which was a LOT back then. It's a Stearns and Foster firm and has zero dents. A lot of people dents are caused by having some sort of pillow topping around the mattress. Nothing you can really do about that and as long as the "meat" of the mattress isn't sagging, it's fine.

My friend recently bought a new mattress at Macy's from their Hotel Collection and that was about $4500 on sale. They were very quick to show how the mattress is constructed so the dents won't happen but told us that certain kinds are always going to get the dents.

We bought one of memory foam mattresses from Sams Club. We've only had it for a year and a half and it has big dents. It only cost $600 so I'm not too surprised. Our next one is going to be a traditional spring mattress and I'm going to spend the actual $$$ because my back is killing me now.

My mattress is probably 15-20 years old. I paid $3,800 for it back in the day which was a LOT back then. It's a Stearns and Foster firm and has zero dents. A lot of people dents are caused by having some sort of pillow topping around the mattress. Nothing you can really do about that and as long as the "meat" of the mattress isn't sagging, it's fine.

My friend recently bought a new mattress at Macy's from their Hotel Collection and that was about $4500 on sale. They were very quick to show how the mattress is constructed so the dents won't happen but told us that certain kinds are always going to get the dents.
The one we just ordered is our first steins an foster...ultra firm. You are making me feel good about the purchase.

We did a pillow top years ago when they were a relatively new thing and we hated it. It failed and we tried to use the warranty. The warranty inspector agreed that it failed due to a defect but then voided the warranty due to a stain the size of a quarter.

The one we just ordered is our first steins an foster...ultra firm. You are making me feel good about the purchase.

We did a pillow top years ago when they were a relatively new thing and we hated it. It failed and we tried to use the warranty. The warranty inspector agreed that it failed due to a defect but then voided the warranty due to a stain the size of a quarter.
I hope it works out. Ultra firm is going to be really firm!!!!!

We bought one of memory foam mattresses from Sams Club. We've only had it for a year and a half and it has big dents. It only cost $600 so I'm not too surprised. Our next one is going to be a traditional spring mattress and I'm going to spend the actual $$$ because my back is killing me now.
I vetoed the memory foam about ten seconds after I laid down on it.

I kept telling the sales guy I wanted the firmest mattress they had and he kept having my try progressively firmer mattresses. Finally I said "I want one that feels like I am sleeping on plywood " I don't know why he insisted on wasting my time working up to the plywood one.

We had a Tempurpedic for about 25 years. We finally got a new mattress cause the dents on my side were killing my back. We have a California king bed frame and this time we just bought a bed in a box. It came with good reviews and was way cheaper than a new Tempurpedic.

We usually get about 10 yrs and we paid for the Heavenly Bed last time. We are extending it a while longer by adding a pillow topper as well as a memory foam topper. The only trouble is now the sheets keep popping off one side or the other during the night!

the one before this was probably 15-17 years old. Memory foam.
New Memory foam is about 10 years old. We love them. My back hurts when I travel for too long. I always want to get back to my bed at home.

I’ve gotten six and would rather sleep on the floor than on that mattress another night - it started out well then went downhill and I’m a petite person - I purchased a almost firm fir my next mattress and it’s held up well for again 6 years - my back doesn’t mind it but it’s showing dents - my next one will be the Sterns & Fosters which is what I wanted all along but wouldn’t spend the $$$ - well 2 back surgeries later I will gladly spend it now !!!
Now if I could only find the perfect pillow 🤔🤔🤔

We had a 12 year old Beautyrest black and loved it. DH was starting to get pain in his hips so decided to look for a new mattress. We were told mattress should be replaced every 7-10 years! What??!! We’ve always bought a firm mattress, so tried a few mattress and bought a firm Sterns & Foster. We didn’t like it at all, both of us thought it was too firm. We decided to return the mattress, back to the store and tried again. Speaking to the sales person, we were told that as we age, our bodies change and we have more aches and pains. She recommended a medium and we love it. It’s perfect for us, still feels firm-ish, with some softness to it. Feels very supportive, too. We have always had a queen bed and changed to a split king w/adjustable base. Love it.

We decided to get new pillows, too. That was another trial and error but finally found pillows we love.

We need a new mattress already. I am not a small woman but I know many larger people out there but the "people dents" as I like to call them are becoming unbearable. I can't find out paperwork but for some reason I am thinking that we have only had this mattress for 8 years. And we have had the people dents for a while now. I am not buying cheap. The one I just ordered was $3,000 for the mattress alone.

Am I the problem? How long is everyone else getting out of a mattress?
:mad: This is an issue that makes me angry. Beds now, like everything else on earth, seem to be purposely built for a short life-cycle. Ridiculous "memory foam" that starts denting from the first night and that they're no longer finished on both sides so you can flip them, means that mattresses last about half as long as they used to. We just replaced a 10 year old high end Sealy (dented far past comfort) with an even more expensive Sterns and Foster and after 4 months, the dents are already apparent even though we rotate it twice a month.
We bought a very firm, very expensive king mattress almost 18 years ago.
It’s still going strong. Looks brand new. :thumbsup2
Pretty sure that bed will out live us both. Lol.
Would this have been one that you were able to flip? That alone almost doubles the life. I sorely miss the last one we had like that.

Our kids using our mattress as a trampoline killed our first two mattress after about 15 years each. Current one is 11 years old and the kids moved out before we bought it. Hope to keep it through the 20 year warranty.
My mom and dad bought a new mattress in 1960 and my mom finally broke down and replaced it in 2012. Sadly she only got to got to enjoy the new one for a few months before having to move into a care home.

We generally get around 15 years out of our innerspring mattress but I still subscribe to regular flipping.

We had a Tempurpedic for about 25 years. We finally got a new mattress cause the dents on my side were killing my back. We have a California king bed frame and this time we just bought a bed in a box. It came with good reviews and was way cheaper than a new Tempurpedic.
Going on 17 years with our Tempurpedic and still complain to my wife that I never wanted it! Is going to a regular spring better? Are you more comfortable? I always want to ditch what I have and go the regular route but we also paid so much for it back then I have a hard time getting rid of something that still works just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter