• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How often do you talk to your parents?

My family isn't close so we don't talk much. I might text my mom a one or two times a week and for my dad it might be once or twice a month. For my siblings it's usually only on their birthday or Christmas :confused3

I text with my mom most every day. Even if it's just sending funny memes. We have lunch on Saturday's and Sunday's (with my Granddaddy).

My father died when I was 13, so I can't comment. When my mom was alive? Maybe once a month? Not a close relationship. I talked more with my MIL, I think (and now she's gone, too... it'll be a year on Thanksgiving :sad:).

DD and I talk frequently. If we haven't talked/messaged during the week, she makes it a point to call on Sunday afternoons, but she and I ofter talk while she's driving to work (on speakerphone- she lets me sit in her cupholder!). We also used to FB message several times most days but she's taken the app off her phone, so not so much these days.

They’re both gone now, which of course puts a different perspective on it. I moved 500 miles away when I was 19 and excited to be in the big city and starting my own life. I basically called when I needed something, which is a shameful admission now. :sad1: They missed me like crazy and were undoubtedly worried so they called me a lot and again, shamefully, I often dodged their calls because I was “too busy”.

As life went on we settled into a routine of talking every Sunday, which they did for many years with all the distant friends and family. People still reminisce about how faithful my DDad was with those calls. :goodvibes

Near the end of their lives we certainly talked more often; daily sometimes. They never did adopt e-mail or texting; the phone was their lifeline. I’d give anything to have their number show up on my call display just one more time. :cloud9:

When my mom was dying of cancer, I was over there (their home, the hospital or rehab) daily. Sometimes a few times a day.
After she passed, I had my father over for dinner at least 2-3 times a week. I didn't want him to be alone.

He has since gotten remarried, and no longer wants to spend time with us. Before he got married we booked a Disney trip together. He has backed out of the trip now, and we no longer speak.

I talk to my mom nearly every day. She usually puts me on speaker phone and my dad listens in and sometimes comments.
DH talks to his mom... maybe once a week.

Same with my husband's family...he always told me they weren't close and I always thought how could you not be close to family, then I really got to know them and I can totally see how he isn't close to them. :sad2:
Yup. I dread the phone ringing on a call. It's either I'm going to waste my time looking and seeing a number which if you're not in my contacts, you're a spam call and I don't answer, or even worse, I see it's my mother.

I was married for 17 years with 2 kids. Not once did we ever get invited in for dinner or anything. But I would get a call after 6 months with her, um... complaining that she never gets to see her grandkids. They don't want to see her either.

I got divorced and was in a worse situation because I was living at my mother's for 2 years. I don't know how I kept my sanity. I was close to just going to work and sleeping in my car.

Not for 17 and 27 years, respectively. They've been gone that long. Before that, though, at least once a week.

Get her a smartphone and teach her how to text.

My mom absolutely has a smart phone and uses it well, it isn't about that. We just aren't close in that way. I love her very much, but we are very different people and all forms of communication can be difficult between us, it is tough to explain. I have worked really hard over the past few years to get our relationship in a better place, but moms and daughters can be tough, we are doing better, but it is a work in progress. I have no idea what we would say to each other if we talked or texted each day, that's pretty hard to fathom for me, but her and my brother do have that sort of relationship.

I speak to my mother (via phone or text) every few weeks, maybe? We get along, but aren't really close. I honestly have NO idea what I would talk to her about if I were to call more frequently.

I speak to my dad every 4-6 months. Once again, we really don't have any reason to speak more frequently. I'm not sure what we'd talk about. I do text with my stepmother about once a month or so, so we do keep up with each other that way.

My mom and I text each other every morning wishing each other a good day then we call at night, every week night. And she usually comes over once a week either to play with my son or have dinner with us or both. She has built an incredibly close relationship with my son (5yrs old) and although we get on each others nerves I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize what they have together. She's a completely different person as a grandmother than she was as a mother - and I'm grateful that he has her as she is now.

My father is a narcisit who manipulated my emotions for the first half of my life and I've finally taken a stand i.e. i havent spoken to him in over a year. And it feels like the right thing to do for me.

I dont think it's odd to be close to your parents - relationship dependent. I think it's great.

My mom calls when she wants to brag about something. She controls the conversation length by calling me from her car on her 5 minute drive home from work and ending the call when she pulls into her garage. At the end, she will stop talking, ask how we are all doing, I say good, and she says OK, gotta go now, just pulled into the driveway. Maybe about once a month or two.

I talk to my dad on the phone maybe a few times a year, but he and his wife are very active on facebook and we message back and forth all the time - at least a few times a week. If they weren't on FB, I would probably never go on it.

DH talks to his dad on the phone about once a week, and his mom once every few weeks. he texts her every few days just to check in and say hi

I drive my mom to and from work 5x a week, and might see her one of the other days. My in-laws just moved in with us. Before that, I would say it was weekly at least that I would speak with my mom or in-laws. Text more often.

DH and I are hoping to soon afford some land where we can all live on the same land but have somewhat separate living spaces (DH, me, kids in one place, MIL and FIL in another, and my mom in another). We would talk to each other daily then, I believe.

I'm not that close to my mom so like maybe once or twice a month. I talk to my dad via text more than via phone. He's not very talkative.

A couple times a week by phone And my.mom is part of a text group with my sisters that gets regular use. DH and I visit them almost every weekend for a couple hours. It's usually a chance to see one of my sisters and a nephews family who make regular weekend visits also.
DH talks to his dad several times a week. We used to visit his parents every Sunday for lunch. After his mom passed, DH visits his dad mid-week and we visit every weekend.

I talk with my parents almost daily. My dad always calls while I'm on my way to work and usually interrupts my car karaoke lol. Sometimes they call me a lot and I can get annoyed but then I remember that I am lucky to have both parents ( who are happily still married 34 years and counting). I feel like they need me as much as I need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter