• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How spoiled are we?

angelam

Mouseketeer
We just spent 5 nights at the Beach Club and took our first cruise-4 nights on the Wonder. We had a great time at the parks, but the cruise was by far the best part of our vacation. Even our son (8) and daughter (4) enjoyed the cruise more than the parks. We loved the cruise so much that we can't wait to do it again. My question is for those of you who have sailed on other lines- "How spoiled are we?" Disney is more expensive than the other lines and we won't be able to take advantage of off peak times, since I am going back to work full time as a teacher. I would just like to know what other lines were family oriented and good for kids. I know Disney is a cruise like no other, but I would like to hear about your other experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Angie

We also did a combination vacation over two years ago when Michael was 5 - it was 4 nights at the Contemporary Tower with 3 nights on the DCL. We had a great time at WDW, but after the first night on the ship - Michael was saying that he never wanted to go back to the parks - he just wanted to cruise!

With the exception of this past Christmas, which was a combination 3 nights at Poly and 4 nights on the DCL because I wanted to see WDW at Christmas - we have taken all 7 night cruises and yes, we are spoiled and yes we are privileged!!!!!!

We thought he would be "cruised" out by this time, but we are heading for Cruise 6 and he's still as excited as he was the first time!

Glad to know that other children feel the same way!!!

Rae

We were hooked on our first DCL in July 2002. We planned on a cruise for this New Years (2003), but so far have added two more before than. It is the best vacation that we've ever been on. I guess we are even more spoiled living only an hour away from WDW and having Premium Annual passes. We are even DVC members, so we basically come and go to WDW whenever we want. I'm a teacher also and every Monday, my students would ask if I went to WDW. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by sdoane
I guess we are even more spoiled living only an hour away from WDW and having Premium Annual passes. We are even DVC members, so we basically come and go to WDW whenever we want. I'm a teacher also and every Monday, my students would ask if I went to WDW. :rolleyes:

Sdoane--

I just noticed that you list your location as Tampa! We're practically neighbors as Travis and I live just across the bay in northern Clearwater. We too are Walt Disney World Annual Passholders and usually are there at least twice a month. Actually, the first year that we purchased our passes we went a total of 26 times! Grad school has unfortunately cut down on the number of times that we visit. Oh well, only one more year and then it’s back to business! :)

It is a small world. We actually live in Riverview, but it's close enough to Tampa. We've been annual passholders for 9 years now. We just upgraded our to the Premium now that Brianna is old enough to go to the Water Parks and she love Disneyquest. She's literally grown up at WDW.

Okay, Jason, Travis and sdoane - you've all convinced me, we'll just have to move on down! Someday!

"Won't you be my neighbor"!

Rae

To ThreeCircles I just saw that you live near Clearwater. We are landing in Tampa before our Universal/7 day cruise vacation and wanted to do a day at Clearwater Beach because we like the Gulf side. I found a site with Honeymoon Island state park which looked neat. Is this a good place to go? And also do you know of a nice clean place we could stay for 1 night? If this is imposing on you, I'm sorry - if you don't want to answer on the boards you can e-mail me directly. Thanks! Some day I am going to move to Florida, I just love it!

I am the mother of 6 who has kids in 3 different schools. In our district they are so against taking them out of school for vacations that the high school age kids have to obtain a signature from each and every one of their teachers. If this is not done in advance they risk losing credit for a whole semester. The point is, I can't travel during off peak times either. Our spring break falls the end of March. I got a wonderful rate that isn't much higher than any other cruise line I saw. Since you won't need to fly or drive too far, ( we have a 20 hour drive to get there) Maybe spring break would be an option for you? I was shocked that the prices for our spring break were so low. Lucky I guess, Last yr our spring break was the 1st week in April and the prices go WAY up then. Have fun.....Melissa

It seems the high prices are for the spring breaks where Easter is involved (like us here in NY):(
Also, we get presidents week off as our winter break, another pricey time to cruise and fly:(

We are just so lucky here in NY. LOL

Joanna

Originally posted by HLFDZN
I am the mother of 6 who has kids in 3 different schools. In our district they are so against taking them out of school for vacations that the high school age kids have to obtain a signature from each and every one of their teachers. If this is not done in advance they risk losing credit for a whole semester. The point is, I can't travel during off peak times either.

Melissa, is there any wonder why homeschooling has become so popular? Along with the benefits for those who elect to do this, there is always the opportunity to make your own determinations about your child's education and not have those decisions made for you.

I have a lot of respect for our educators and school administrators but he is still our child and our responsibility. Perhaps if he were older and this were the consequence, we'd be "singing another tune" but for now...

Rae

I agree that they are MY children and I am ulitmately repsonsible for them, but I can kind of understand where this district is coming from. While I am NOT RICH, I do live in a somewhat affluent community. These people would have absolutley no regard and would be taking kids out of school several times a year for vacations if they could get away with it. I have taken them out of school in the past. In 1999 ( before I had high schoolers) we had saved 4 years for our first Disney World vacation and it was cut short after only 2 days thanks to hurricane floyd. I was soo upset that we went back the following January and had the time of our lives. One wicked teacher even had the gall to tell my daughter who was only 9. " Your parents have no business planning a vacation during SCHOOL that is what summers are for" This was in front of the entire class, who then harrrassed her repeatedly about this. I Told my daughter to politely tell the teacher if it came up again, that she should call me. The other teachers were fine with it, preparing homework for us and encouraging family time together. All the kids caught up fine. My daughters teacher however refused to give her work to do or let her make any of it up. My husband is in construction and his busy season is in the summer. Usually he cannot take time off in summer, but thanks to the slow economy this year, they are happy for him to take time off, anytime.
High school being a different ball game and finding out that my oldest is indeed ADHD with learning disabilites, It is just eaier to plan stuff aroudn his school schedule now.
I have to say I tip my hat to anyone who homeshools. I have a few online friends who do it and I admire them. I am not cut out for that. I love my kids dearly, but I lack the patience to be their teacher. I also think they get a lot from school social situations.
I am by no means against homeshooling, just saying it is not for me. Once my son is in college in 2 years, he probably won't want to go with any more, so I won't have to plan around him, but by then I will have 2 others in high school.
Oh well.....at least we are lucky to have our spring break in March....for now.

I would like to add that yes when my kids were younger we took an annual trip to see my Mom every October and/or May. I took them out of school for visits, so they could know their Grandma before she died. Those type of visits are important and believe it or not the school agreed.

I am thankful my son gave up High school athletics..I heard that the LaCrosse coach told all the players on the team not to make ANY plans over spring break. I think that is overstepping the bounds. I wish I had the nerve to pick up and move to a rural area with a one room school house again......but I don't..]

Sorry to have rambled on.......Melissa

Hi Melissa - there was no rambling on - I think God makes us different so we can appreciate our differences and opinions!
DH and I were so poor when we got married that we never did much of anything - so after all these years, it's nice to have some money set aside to be "crazy with"!!! And since we are parents of one adult (23) and one child (8), we have a different way of viewing things.

I homeschooled the oldest after Kayla died - it was NOT easy nor was it fun.It was a lot of hard work but it paid off when he stayed on Dean's List for college!!! And with the youngest, I tried that also, but at my age and his enjoyment of being with peers, it doesn't work well. But I do think our school calendar leaves a lot to be desired, so we just work with the teachers and with him.

Like I said, when he is older, it probably will be a totally different story!!!

I think that teacher was very wrong in discussing you with your daughter - we are fortunate because I discussed this in advance with both principal and teacher and they agreed the vacations were going to be beneficial to him. Yes, at his age, and possibly later, but time will tell!!!!

Melissa, never worry that you disagree with a person's point of view - it makes for wonderful friendships sometimes!!

Best wishes!!!

Rae

The teacher didn't have any problems publicly humiliating your child in the class room. I bet that he/she also didn't have any problem taking ALL of his/her "personal leave days" for no reason at all because they are "due" :confused: them, and thereby leaving your child with a substitute (who was probably clueless).

Hey rae519.....you and I are in close proximity NW Indiana. I have taken my children out of school for our Feb 2000 land and sea, our Nov. land and sea (origionally cancelled Magic switched to Dec 1 Wonder) and Nov 2003 Magic. My DD's are good students and as with you rae519 things weren't very economically kind to us. But, thru hard work and many hours away from my DW and DD's we finally can afford to do DCL each year. My DD's teachers all thought that in these times of dual income families and daycare raising children that it was great that we do "family" things. Crown Point, In school system never had a problem. And I really don't care if they did!!!!

Originally posted by markey
To ThreeCircles I just saw that you live near Clearwater. We are landing in Tampa before our Universal/7 day cruise vacation and wanted to do a day at Clearwater Beach because we like the Gulf side. I found a site with Honeymoon Island state park which looked neat. Is this a good place to go? And also do you know of a nice clean place we could stay for 1 night? If this is imposing on you, I'm sorry - if you don't want to answer on the boards you can e-mail me directly. Thanks! Some day I am going to move to Florida, I just love it!

Well, it's an even smaller world now, because I live in Oldsmar, which is at the top Tampa Bay between Tampa and Clearwater!

Honeymoon Island is WONDERFUL! Actually, if you take the ferry ride from Honeymoon Island over to Caladesi Island State Park, that's even better.

http://www.digitalcity.com/tampabay/entertainment/venue.adp?vid=39386

Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Park are nearby the town of Dunedin, FL, which has many hotels, but I'm not familiar with them. Have a wonderful time!

Nice to meet you Travis, Jason and sdoane! VAL

I wholeheartedly agree that taking them out is MY BUSINESS. My husband told my daughter to tell the teacher " some of us do not have the summer OFF like YOU do" As he works mostly in the summer sometimes 60 hours plus.

The thing that is scaring me into following the rules is the loss of credit policy. Summer school is $90.00 a semester and set up so that they can only do one class at a time. Unfortunately one of my sons does not take school as seriously as he should, or I would fight the policy.

I too was in the same boat as you Rae, when my childeren were small , we were broke. We limited our "vacations" to visiting my Mom in Mississippi.....20 hours in a mini van with 6 kids ...whooohooo....no much of a vacation LOL. Mom always made sure we had enough money to get home and stay in a hotel too.

Now things have changed financially. I dream of going to Disney in December when it is decorated up....but not during the rush of Christmas...some day...maybe when my youngest is older, we will do it...Anyway.... thanks for the kind words..... Melissa

Originally posted by LAMPSKIES

we do "family" things. Crown Point, In school system never had a problem. And I really don't care if they did!!!!

Howdy neighbor!
Glad your school district is accomodating - considering the Homeschooling Laws in Indiana, it seems they do take our vacations seriously!!!!!

Interestingly enough I just received an e-mail from a neighbor that I didn't know was on the DISboards! Surprise! Small world!

We really have been "blessed" with one day of sunshine this week- just enough for us to get the yard mowed!!!!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter