• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to bring pre-mixed (liquid) formula on 7-night Fantasy cruise?

Bunny84

Earning My Ears
Hello, our son, who will be 6mos when we said, right now exclusively drinks the ready made formula.

Has anyone ever brought enough liquid formula for a 7 night cruise? And if so, how would one do this? (We're not doing a land and sea so we can't mail anything to ourselves).

I appreciate the powder is lighter but for the sake of this post please assume our preference is to use the pre-mixed kind if at all possible.

Thank you in advance!

We brought some a long time ago (DS is now 22), but just for a 3 night cruise. We just packed them in the carry on. We did bring enough for the whole 7 day trip to start off with though and that was all spread out in our carry ons.

Liquids must be in a carry-on when you board the ship, not in checked bags. It will be tricky if you are flying in on embarkation day, but you could put the formula in 1 bag that you check for the flight and then keep it with you for boarding the cruise. Make sure it is a "carry-on" size bag that will fit through an airport-type scanner at the port.

One possible idea to help with the flight portion (assuming you're flying) - if the formula you use is purchaseable on Amazon, you could see if there's an Amazon locker to ship to near where you're staying the night before the cruise (again, assuming you're coming in the day before). I did this with a Disneyland trip and it worked out better than I expected.

Like others said... All liquids have to be in your carry-on, not checked luggage.
However, I suspect it will need to be checked to fly.

Your best bet is to check it in a separate small suitcase (wheels!), and then carry it on the ship.

I would NOT count on buying upon arrival. I've heard stories of formula shortages and the last thing you want to be doing is to search for formula before you get on the ship.

I suspect you haven't traveled much with a baby. Bring WAY more diapers than you think you need, bring way more clothes than you think you need. (I liked to have a separate shirt for ME in the diaper bag.)

If your formula is available at Target or Walmart, order it in advance for pickup at about the time you will be passing. Have done this for all kinds of items for grandkids.

Formula, breast milk, juice, water, and baby food do not need to be checked on the plan when there's a baby in your travel party. You can carry them on.
You can carry-on "reasonable quantities" but that may not be considered to be a full week's worth. It generally means the amount you need for the travel day, maybe an extra day's worth. Unfortunately, it will depend entirely on the TSA agent at security and how strict they will be. I've known people who were able to carry through several beverage bottles and others who had to dump/toss/go back to check a bag.

You can carry-on "reasonable quantities" but that may not be considered to be a full week's worth. It generally means the amount you need for the travel day, maybe an extra day's worth. Unfortunately, it will depend entirely on the TSA agent at security and how strict they will be. I've known people who were able to carry through several beverage bottles and others who had to dump/toss/go back to check a bag.
Yeah, I breastfed my babies but we took some formula with us and TSA wanted to open the sealed formula we took with us as a just in case. I told them to test and dump it as it would no longer be fit for use.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. We are flying to MCO that morning and then taking Disney transport to the ship, so we won’t be able to stop at a store or have something shipped to us. That said, it seems like we are just going to need to pack it in a wheeled suitcase to check on the plane but then carry on to the cruise ship (thank you - I didn’t know that part) although it’s going to be awfully heavy, so I am still going to try to brainstorm a solution.

I know this isn’t what you want, but you could switch to powder temporarily. It takes 1-3 days to switch (start at 1/4 new formula and worn your way up stepwise). Then you can either cold turkey back again at the end of the trip or do it gradually.

I recognize that you are attached to your current formula but it’s clearly a hassle for a long trip. Remember: fed is best. (And a formula change doesn’t have to be permanent.)

Thanks everyone for weighing in. We are flying to MCO that morning and then taking Disney transport to the ship, so we won’t be able to stop at a store or have something shipped to us. That said, it seems like we are just going to need to pack it in a wheeled suitcase to check on the plane but then carry on to the cruise ship (thank you - I didn’t know that part) although it’s going to be awfully heavy, so I am still going to try to brainstorm a solution.

I would imagine a suitcase full of 7 days is going to be over the weight limit on the checked bag so I'd also expect a hefty additional charge for that. Also think about what you will do if the airline loses - or damages so that it all explodes - the luggage (yes, it CAN happen even on a non-stop flight...my sister and I have BOTH had it happen), especially flying in the day of. EEK!

I know you said you don't want to do powdered, but honestly with your parameters of flying in the day of, I think that is your best option.

I am very much in the fed is best camp. My concern about the powder is the inconvience once we’re on the trip — of needing to mix and measure vs the super super simple pre mixed. I feel like the hassle of getting the liquid to or on the ship turns into connivence once we’re on board, and the inverse. (And of course I realize powdered formula is not *that* inconvenient, it’s just our preference not to use it.)

I am very much in the fed is best camp. My concern about the powder is the inconvience once we’re on the trip — of needing to mix and measure vs the super super simple pre mixed. I feel like the hassle of getting the liquid to or on the ship turns into connivence once we’re on board, and the inverse. (And of course I realize powdered formula is not *that* inconvenient, it’s just our preference not to use it.)

I just feel like there are too many things that could go wrong checking it - and flying in the day of you leave yourself ZERO room to replace it if one of the myriad of things that could happen happens.

Isn't it better to go with the powdered (do they not come with a premeasured scoop like other drink powders do?) so kiddo at least has SOMETHING to drink than to stick with your preferred liquid, have something happen, and have a hungry unfed kiddo?

Powdered formula is SUPER easy. Put water in bottle, add an appropriate number of scoops (directions on jar, scooper in jar) shake a few times.

I know they sell fancy formula makers that imply that mixing formula is somehow hard. It’s just marketing, because new mothers have a major target on our backs to get the “best”. Because if we don’t get “the best” we are hurting our children.

I even had a preemie that had to be fed every 2.5 hours for months. Powdered really isn’t that hard.

just in case you decide you can’t do premade (at 6 months that’s a lot of liquid). We did powder and it was so easy to travel. You can find bottled water anywhere. Yes you will need a bottle cleaner and dish soap. Dump in powder, shake shake shake and viola. For traveling we preferred the ones in individual packets even though more expensive as it was easy.

whatever you decide bring at least 2 days more than you think you need - for both food and diapers. delays happen and they don’t have baby stuff easily available.

I totally understand your like of pre-mixed! Our baby is on Alimentum and her pediatrician recommended we always use the pre-mixed. We just did this same thing in October on a 7 night. When we flew in I had enough bottles pre-made for the day and carried them in a YETI lunchbox cooler with 2 cooler packs. Yes- they do test strip each bottle when getting on the plane. They just pour out a tiny amount of bottle and test that part. We needed about 1 container of formula a day for her bottles. I packed 9 containers of pre-mixed formula in a sturdy cardboard box and made sure to fill in all spaces with bubble wrap. Each container is 32 ounces so we had 18 pounds of formula packed in one checked suitcase along with our clothes. Airlines usually have 40 or 50 pound weight limit on suitcases unless you are flying first class. It was very easy and we will do it again this summer when we fly! Enjoy your trip!!

I totally understand your like of pre-mixed! Our baby is on Alimentum and her pediatrician recommended we always use the pre-mixed. We just did this same thing in October on a 7 night. When we flew in I had enough bottles pre-made for the day and carried them in a YETI lunchbox cooler with 2 cooler packs. Yes- they do test strip each bottle when getting on the plane. They just pour out a tiny amount of bottle and test that part. We needed about 1 container of formula a day for her bottles. I packed 9 containers of pre-mixed formula in a sturdy cardboard box and made sure to fill in all spaces with bubble wrap. Each container is 32 ounces so we had 18 pounds of formula packed in one checked suitcase along with our clothes. Airlines usually have 40 or 50 pound weight limit on suitcases unless you are flying first class. It was very easy and we will do it again this summer when we fly! Enjoy your trip!!

Again, just a reminder that while airlines will accept beverages (and yes, formula is a beverage) in checked luggage, you are not supposed to check them at the port. If anything happens and they break, you will be responsible for any other luggage it damages. (And yes - I have seen them enforce it. Not baby formula but red wine someone too special to follow the rules had in his checked luggage - it broke and damaged the luggage of at least 4 other passengers. The owner of the broken bottles was told he WAS going to be responsible for paying for the cleaning or replacement of their items regardless and if he continued to argue with them (I heard the discussion between him and the 2 officers who had come to discuss it with him as it was 2 doors down from me) he and his party would be disembarked with no refund.)

I know they sell fancy formula makers that imply that mixing formula is somehow hard. It’s just marketing, because new mothers have a major target on our backs to get the “best”. Because if we don’t get “the best” we are hurting our children.
Well, all formula is a compromise from what really is the best, which is mother's milk. That's a scientific reality, not an opinion or a political statement btw. So it's a bit silly for a formula company to try to shame anyone for using a "lesser" brand of formula when the product itself is a compromise, one that is necessary in some cases, but still a compromise.

Back to the original topic, I would be outraged if a TSA agent insisted on ruining my baby's food. I know it occasionally happens, but boy, would I be angry. I agree that checking a carryon-sized suitcase filled with the baby's preferred type of formula, and then carrying it onboard the ship, is probably the best strategy here.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter