How to find your passion? (Career/life questions and thoughts)

My passions revolve around my family, not work. For me work is work and nothing more.

Find something that makes you happy and do it. Perhaps your passion does not need to be associated with your career?

I don’t really know where to post this... here goes!

I feel a bit lost right now. Not unhappy, but restless in my current admin job at a children’s charity, and wondering what to do. I have a BA in Communication, mid-twenties, and enjoy working.

Additional background: worked in student services as tour guide/orientation leader during college, then Starbucks before joining charity a few years ago. I had hoped to receive more advancement opps/mentoring, but haven’t really had either in last few years.

I think my dream job would be working in hospitality at WDW, but I am Canadian, and know that there are a few roadblocks keeping me from that. Not to say it isn’t possible, but I am trying to be realistic.

For those who really enjoy what they do professionally, and perhaps keep a love of all things Disney in their thoughts, do you have any recommendations on deciding a career path and finding a sense of purpose?

Realize I’m asking some pretty broad, big questions here, but appreciate all responses.

I think only a handful of people have a "dream job" compared to the rest of the population. You REALLY have to devote yourself to it without fail.

My younger dd is in college and going for it.
She is doing a Communications/Creative Writing double major with a minor in film. She wants to be a screenwriter, writer, etc.

For starters you have to have the drive and talent and nerve to go for it.

So do you want to do something with your degree?

I have to change career paths late in the game due to medical stuff. I can do what I love as a hobby still, so that is good.

I am going to start my own business. I am 53 and have plenty of time to do that. DH is retiring soon, we are selling our house, and going for a complete change in lifestyle.

Good Luck!

I think people can get tunnel vision and think that working their passion means doing x at workplace y. Is it hospitality that’s your passion, or is it WDW? You may find that if it’s just hospitality, there might be better paying jobs near where you are now.

I’m lucky that as an artist, I get paid to hold a paintbrush every day. I also get to work in an industry that I’m very passionate about. I still haven’t figured out exactly what I want to do in my career, though.

I have my dream job, and the pay is ****. If it wasn't a dream job for me, I'd probably hate it - the hours can be long and erratic, the pay is low and there's no overtime, and I put in so many evenings and weekends that I sometimes feel like I barely see my husband. I'd NEVER put in these kind of hours for any other job. Work-life balance is too important to me (and this job does have some perks in that dept. - I work mostly from home and can sometimes work from the road while traveling so I don't always have to take vacation time to go away). And I still don't know where I'm going from here, career-wise. In a few years' time we plan to relocate and that will open up more opportunities, but those will come with their own trade offs (prob. more money/less flexibility).

My point here is that even dream jobs aren't all sunshine and rainbows. If you have a job you like that leaves you enough time to balance your love of Disney and other interests in your off hours, you might be better off staying put rather than looking for the proverbial greener grass elsewhere.

I would not want to move from Canada to Orlando. In my opinion that would be a huge mistake. If I was your age and living where you do I would learn a skilled trade.

My general answer to this is to find something you are good at that you can earn a decent living at. To me, passion is a strong word. My job fits my skill set and has given me tons of opportunities, however, passionate I am not.

But, the standard of living I have allows me to pursue things while I am not at work that I am passionate about, which is an acceptable trade off in my opinion.

I may not be as passionate about a job a I thought I was if I had to count my pennies and worry about covering expenses every month. That would get really old, really fast.
Love this - great post! :thumbsup2

I think there's a ton of idealism in the in the concept of "finding your passion". Maybe it's the prerogative of the young because for most of us, moving forward in life means practicality prevails. That's not to say we're miserable - not at all. As many PP's have stated, our jobs are just a means to providing for the other things in life that we truly love and are affirmed by.

My first degree was an AAS in Hotel and Restaurant Mgmt back when I was convinced I wanted to be a pastry chef. Reality set in with Baking 101; wasn't going to happen. I was proficient but hadn't the.....spark. Continued the program since once I get started I believe one should finish. Next moved on to Culinary Institute of America and wound up leaving at the end of a year since no matter how hard I tried cooking would never be more than fun when I wanted it as opposed to something I had an interest in doing day, in and day out. Plus there was the bizarre working environment. That part is funny/ironic since I do cook the vast majority of my family's meals daily with few shortcuts.

Transferred to Cornell's hotel school and received a 4 year degree that opened a new vista of possibilities for me. Worked in corporate hotels in different parts of the world but eventually got tired of the corporate skullduggery and mindset. Fell back on another part of the industry and began working in the real estate business. Eventually opened my own firm specializing in a specific segment of property management and was happiest being the CEO and chief cleaner of the circular files when needed until an unexpected offer came to sell my company at a great price. Not quite ready to retire but still looking for the "next thing". Maybe I'll get another degree in a totally different field via Bard and work in the curator's dept of a museum....who knows? My mother kept her business opened until she was in her '80's and I'm not adverse to breaking her record, LOL.

My point to the OP is you don't have to get so specific in your goals ("I want to work @ Disney") since you've no idea how later interests and realities may change that. Expand/build on your existing education so that the world is your oyster.

HTH

I majored in Journalism and Legal Studies and have been working in law firms since graduating high school.
I burnt out on the legal field about 6 years ago and was toying with the idea of going back to school for animal science in the hopes of going to vet. school. I was never good at math or science but I couldn't get it out of my mind.
I lost my job at one point and decided to go for it. I spent 1.5 years at a vet tech school. i LOVED it. I was even getting A's in chemistry! Who knew? I lucked out and got a job as a tech for the summer with a mobile vet in my town and ended up working with her full-time for about a year. I loved it! Even the sad things we had to do...i was still passionate about it. It was hard grueling work and long long long long days.
During that time I met my now husband and we moved in together. I wasn't getting home until 10:30PM or later and up and out the door by 8AM the next day, 6 days a week. Plus the pay was not nearly enough and because it was a new and small business, there was no health insurance.

I had to make a decision and ended up back in law firms. The pay is good as are the benefits and hours. My vet still lets me come back at least once a month to work with her and I get my animal fix.

If I ever win the lottery, I would go back to school and try and get into vet school. I'm happy I did find my passion and realizing I actually COULD do something I never thought I could was a great confidence boost.
But I do enjoy my paycheck and hours with the law firms.

Personally, I think it's really important to do work that you genuinely enjoy. For example, I enjoy working with kids and even though I don't always enjoy every minute of my work day, I am happier overall and the sense of purpose that I get from caring for children makes up for the low pay. By comparison, the 2 jobs that I've worked where I had no interaction with kids were horrible, miserable, stressful jobs and I eventually came to dread going to work, though I made a little more money.

Life is short and you're going to spend at least half of your waking hours at work 5 days a week, take the time to find a career that you can enjoy. Can you try out your dream job in any way before making a total commitment? Maybe do some job shadowing or moonlighting?

Thanks so much for your thoughts, everyone! Definitely some great advice and things to think about moving forward.

Don’t panic if you don’t have it figured out yet. DH and I worked different jobs through our 20/s and 30s until we got into our current paths.

Sometimes work is partly figuring out what you don’t want and molding your career into what you want that aligns with your priorities. It’s up to you to decide if you have to feel passion in your career or if you can be happy with a career that doesn’t provide that.

DH and I both value balance with home and that led to specific choices. I also learned over the years that I value a career that feels like I am making a difference. I went back to school at 39 and finally feel like I am doing what I am supposed to be doing. It’s still stressful and I don’t want to go at times, but I absolutely feel passion for what I do. DH also really enjoys his industry.

Enjoy exploring your choices and I hope you figure out what you’re looking for!

I've successfully turned my passion (think creative, arty) into a career after previously working in an office job. I love it, but it definitely feels like work now!

It's hard to be specific, but my recommendations would be to take some general interest classes in subjects you're keen on. Meet lots of people, listen to their stories (which, of course, you are doing virtually right now :) ). Travel far and wide while you are young. Stimulation breeds creativity. Above all else, be open and willing to try new things. You never know who or what might light a fire inside you.

If you'd told me ten years ago I'd be where I am now I'd have died laughing, before returning to slogging over the never ending spreadsheets and reports due at work.

I honestly think the "find your passion" in terms of work is a crock. I'm not sure I know anyone who absolutely LOVES/LOVED going to work every day, but I know plenty of people who enjoy their job, or their "work family". That is what i would look for... the elusive "find a job you are passionate about and you will never work a day in your life" is a myth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter