How to get a young child to wear a mask?

coachunk66

Earning My Ears
I currently have a 2-year-old and need to really start working on him wearing a mask. Our trip is 25 days away. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I currently have a 2-year-old and need to really start working on him wearing a mask. Our trip is 25 days away. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance for any help!
good luck you need to start making wearing one for anything watching TV screen time. have some for him to play with his toys. wear yours around the house. if you have somewhere close that he enjoys make a trip to practice

Practice! We’ve been practicing with our 2yo since before she turned 2 and she’s really good at it. We started with a minute before bed and worked up. It helps that before my mom was vaccinated she used to wear one when she babysat and that my husband and I wear them around her. Anytime she goes to the park she wears it. We went and ate outside last night for the first time and she wanted to keep it on because people kept making a big deal about how good she was doing. Praise and practice for sure!

Funny thing about kids and masks. I work in a school system, and our PreK and elementary kids across the district have been GREAT at wearing masks this entire year. As a matter of fact, that group has done significantly better than their older counterparts. They love it because they feel like they are "helping" the adults in the building and their parents stay safe. Just one person's VERY first hand observation....

PS - It will also help if you wear one at the same time that you're practicing with your child.

Love the answers already given! A few more things that might work with a 2 year old-
1. Choices: can he/she choose themselves a style or fabric that they like? If you have the budget, maybe look through etsy and choose a new special mask or two. They could become enamored with their special mask.
2. Rewards: a sticker chart for gradually increasing increments of time.
3. Make believe: can you call it something fun or add some accessories to go along with it? Create an alter-ego for your child when they are wearing it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter