• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to tell our son he'll be a BIG BROTHER at Disney World?

Another Goofy Dad

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are taking our 5 year old son to Disney World at the end of this month, (January 2022). We've been planning this trip for over a year, and just found out yesterday my wife is expecting our 2nd child! We'd like to find a fun way to reveal to our son that he'll be a big brother, (something he's been looking forward to for about 2 years). Any ideas?

A little context that might help, our first day at the parks will be at Hollywood Studios. Our son is a huge Toy Story & Buzz Lightyear fan, but he's also become a big Star Wars & Chewbacca fan recently. It would be fun to connect the reveal to something at the park.

Also, my sister, her husband, and their 2 girls will be with us. My dad and step-mom will be joining us a couple days later. Our first park day with parents will be at EPCOT, followed by Magic Kingdom the next day. We'd like to tell them while on the trip, too.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I appreciate the concern about the timing, and that is certainly something my wife and I are weighing. Perhaps I should add a little more context: I'll spare the personal details and reasons, but I will add that my wife is farther along than when most women find out they are pregnant. No, it won't be 2nd trimester yet, but that won't be too far away.

Also, with my sister and step-mom there, they are going to realize when my wife continues to skip all of the rides that pregnant women are supposed to avoid. My sister guessed when my wife was pregnant the first time (on the same day we found out, nonetheless). Our son is perceptive too, hiding it is just not feasible, so we figure we might as well enjoy the moment.

Tell your family. They will know, as you mentioned, and it's much more fun for YOU to tell them than it is for someone to guess. God forbid anything happens, you have your family's support. I was so glad some people knew so they could give me some grace and I didn't have to hide my pain when.

You could jump on "The Child" bandwagon and have a special shirt made for your wife - to unveil in front of the millennium falcon :) maybe an Eating around world showcase (for 2) shirt

Honestly, I wouldn't tell him at Disney. You don't know how he will react being that he has been the only child for 5 years. He may react negatively and why do that to him on a Disney vacation. Chances are he may not, but why take a chance.

Don’t walk the dog, just tell him up front, it is what it is, just hope he is happy, if not they all get over it.

When we were expecting our 3rd, we also wanted to figure out a Disneyfied way to tell people.

Before we went, I printed out 2 signs that said "Big Sis #1" and "Big sis #2" in a Disney Font.

When we got to MK in front of the castle to take a family pic, at the last minute I handed each of the girls the signs and told them not to look at them just hold them.

We printed out the picture and showed them at a later point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter