How Young is Too Young???

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
I don't know if this belongs here, so moderators if you need to move this, I understand.

DH and I are expecting our first baby this August. :D Recently I've been itching to go back to WDW! My last trip there was this past December. (Yeah I know. Only 3 months ago). Now I wouldn't think of taking a newborn to WDW, but I'd like to plan a trip in 2004 around the time baby will be 1 1/2 or 2 years old. Is that too young? It would probably be a short trip (4 or 5 days which is short for us) and we would definitely stay at a monorail resort. Does anyone have experience bringing a toddler to WDW? And when would the best time of year be? I'm a teacher so it would have to be in the summer, over Thanksgiving or over Christmas. (I prefer summer believe it or not).

Thanks for your opinions!!!!!!!

**********wishing i was there****************

I think you will get some excellent information and advice about this topic if I move it to our Disney for Families board :)

Katholyn

In June of 1999 we went with Myself, my wife, my mom in law, my 2 1/2 year old son and our twin daughters that turned 1 while we were there.

We stayed for a full week at CSR and had the best trip we have ever taken!

You just need to remember to tailor your trip to your kids. Like alot of time with characters, tons of time in Fantasy Land, and lots of swimming and nap time!

The kids were tired by noon, we would swim to tire them out even more and then they would take three hour naps in the heat of the day! We were then able to tour the parks unitl closing without them getting fussy. I think the kids liked the parks better at night with all the lights and fireworks etc...

My daughter has been coming to WDW with us since she was a year old. In my opinion, there is no such thing as being too young for Walt Disney World. Of course you would not want to take an infant without adequate planning during the blistering heat of the summer, and even now (at 3 years old) my daughter isn't too thrilled by the summer heat, but otherwise she's always had a great time. You should do a lot of research and detailed planning so that you are familiar with the challenges of touring with a toddler and the services that exist to minimize problems, and you'll be fine.

Unless you have a 'womb with a view' I'd wait until the baby is born to take him/her. After that, have fun! Every age is different and will enjoy Disney in a different way. Just go and have fun and be flexible!!

54 days to go

You are going to get a variety of responses to this. If you really want to go then go. The baby will have a good time, if you do. Just remember to go at a slower pace, and stop for breaks... use baby sunscreen, put a hat and shades on baby, and keep him/her hydrated. Actually, I think that 1 year old is easier than the 2's and 3's, but that is just my opinion.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and if you want to go, don't let anyone sway your opinion. You will know the temperment of your child when it comes to that point, and that will make your decision much easier!

I've posted before that my wife and I took our then 14-month-old to WDW in December, and he loved it. If you're going to do this, though, you have to change your expectations about a Disney trip. You will need to go according to the toddler's pace, and everything will be fine. This means:

1. Plan a break every afternoon around naptime.
2. Don't plan, expect, or hope to see everything you want. What you see is what you get.
3. Avoid long lines. Toddlers have no patience. This can be accomplished by using fastpass, skipping rides with long lines, and hopping on anything you walk by that has a short line (10 min. or less). Also, by using an afternoon nap, you can avoid the peak crowd times. We found our DS had as much fun looking (and running) around the park as being on any ride. He has no idea what he wants to do, or what he might be missing.
4. Don't think you have to spend the whole time at the Magic Kingdom. Our little one loved Epcot and MGM just as much (didn't have time to get to AK).
5. Monorail resort is a great idea - strollers can be pushed right onto the Monorail without folding or removing the baby (doesn't help for MGM or AK, though).

We wouldn't hesitate to take a toddler to WDW, in fact, we're going back in May (he'll be 20 months old). Just make sure your expectations are in line with your child, and you'll have loads of fun.

We took our daughter when she was 12mo old and she did great EXCEPT on "A Bug's Life". It was way to intense! My only suggestion would be to buy one of those fan/misters at Wal-Mart or somewhere like that. It's great to keep her (and you) cool during the hot afternoon.

Rellim

:p I took my DS to WDW at 6 months, 9 months, and 13 months. He love it! May I suggest character breakfast, monorail resort, and a slow pace. Also don't forget the baby centers the CM's are very helpful. Almost all the bathroom have changing stations (very few don't) including the mens. My DH does alot of the changing at WDW no lines for the changing tables. So if you want to go I say go for just plan around your child's needs. If you have any question just ask.

:bounce: :bounce: PS actually the younger DS was the easier he was to take care of. :pinkbounc Congratulation on your pregnancy!!

It is never to young in our family ....my youngest DD has been going to the parks since she was 3 months old...she and we loved it at that age.....She is almost 5 and has been 7 times I think and she still loves as does her crazy family...

We took our 2 1/2 year old and 3 1/2 year old in Feburary and saw lots of families with children much younger. If you don't go in the heat of the summer, and you really need to scratch that itch, you might consider October or November. The baby will still be small enough to carry in a sling, will still sleep alot, you can baby swap (and the baby won't care), it will be as close to an adult vacation as you are going to have for awhile. The people who were having the hardest time were the parents of new walkers - the kids wanted to show off their new skill, but Fantasyland at noon isn't really the place you want someone short running free.

But if you want the sparkle of watching your child meet Mickey, 18 months is great! But expect "issues" with small kids. They get tired, they need to get fed, they decide to potty train in the middle of Fantasyland during the busy time, they want to walk (or run) through crowds, don't understand waiting in line, and don't want to stay with Daddy while Mommy rides Space Mountain. Every child is an individual and reacts differently - but don't expect your child to be perfect, and your vacation will be much less stressful.

We brought Grandma and Grandpa with us to give us a break.

Congrats and best wishes for a quick and easy delivery and a healty baby.

I took my daughter to Disneyland when she was 21 months old, not expecting the trip to be wildly successful, but just hoping to see some good sights. She loved it! We did tons of rides in Fantasyland and elsewhere.

Disney is a great place for toddlers because there is so much to look at-- so many diversions, all the time. More important, it is a great place for parents. It's so hard on in the real world, or on other vacations, going out with a baby and a toddler, but Disney makes it very comfortable for you. There are few other places new parents can have a relaxing vacation.

Our kids were 3 and 16 months the first time we took them, they've gone 3 times so far, and they loved it each and every time!! I say go and enjoy yourselves!!

We brought our 18 month old DD a number of years ago. Beside the typically irritability that can set in, be aware that some small children like Mickey and Minnie, Chip and Dale, etc. but from a distance. My DD needed to warm up to the characters, just as she did for a picture with Santa Claus and the Easter bunny.

Coldpony,

How did the kids handle the trip or should I say how did you handle the trip? We will be traveling this July with me, DH, DS (almos 3) and twin DS (21 months). I am very neverous going with all 3 . Did you have any problems?

Thanks

We took our oldest daughter to Disney when she had just turned two. We really did it because WE wanted to go -- she would have been just as happy with a trip to a local amusement park! We knew that we planned to have another baby soon, and we didn't want to go to Disney with an infant, nor did we want to wait four years to go! I'm not saying that our 2-year old didn't enjoy it, but she got tired easily and we spend more time in our room than we would have liked.

Her favorites were the characters and the water parks.

I agree with the concept that they are never too young... Disney is great for all ages but especially the little ones. Nothing drives me more nuts than to hear people say they're waiting until there kids are "old enough" before they go, beause they want "the kids to remember going". Especially when they're thinking the kids need to be 10 or so, by then you've missed so many great moments. My goal, go once year, as the kids get older you start enjoying different parts of the parks. And if you're going every year, check out the Disney Vacation Club, it's great for those who go often.

We went this last Feb with our then 5yo, almost 2yo and 4 month old baby. They all had a great time! Well, okay, the baby couldn't have cared less, but it was sooo easy to bring a baby! We put him in the front pack--get the baby bjorn, big bucks but worth it!--and I just wore him onto all the rides! I nursed him on small world and in Food rocks as well as a few other places that were quiet and darkish. the two year old didn't want to go on his first ride, but we made him anyway and after that loved every minute--cried like his heart was breaking when the Pooh ride was done! And the 5 yo had been two years before and loved being the big sis and "showing" DW to her brothers. Any age is great--it's you who make it or break it!

That said, no, I wouldn't take a baby in the summer! But as soon as it cooled off, you bet!

First of all, Disney is an expensive trip. With that in mind, you want to enjoy it, and you want your children to be able to get something out of it as well. Personally, we waited for our youngest DD to finish Kindergarten to go. She was 6 Years old at the time. You need stamina to enjoy everything, and you certainly don't want a cranky child crying all the time. If you have to head to your room to put them to bed, you are not getting the most out of the evenings, or Disney.

Everyone has their own opinion on this, and you have to do what you feel the most comfortable with. Also, some people's children travel better than others. You will know this better than anyone else. Personally however, I would never drag a diaper bag, stroller, and all that equipment with me to WDW. :eek:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Our 2 have been going to Disney since they were 3 months old. We always have a good time. We take breaks and go at the kids pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter