Howard Johnson Hotel: (Please help!) I've heard only good things...

kallidawn

Earning My Ears
:banana: Going to Disneyland!!! :cool1: (YAY! )

I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 1/2-3 star hotel, and I keep coming back to Howard Johnson Hotel (across from Disneyland, off Manchester, I believe) -- All the reviews I read say REALLY good things (excellent staff, spacious rooms are the most popular comments) -- I probably would've booked the stay by now, but I'm REALLY indecisive, so I haven't completed it yet.

We will be staying January 2nd-5th, 2 adults, and of course going to Disneyland (another plus - its only a 5-10 minute walk... I know because I stayed at the Quality Inn down the street when I went to DL earlier this year).

Has anyone had any problems with this hotel? Has anyone had any great experiences with this hotel? Are there any tips to share -- i.e. what buidling and floor are best.

Let me know, if you know. Thanks a bunch!!!

Kalli Dawn

P.S. The pricing I am looking at is through the vacation package on hojo's website -- $711 hotel+flight (2 adults roundtrip airfair from SLC, plus 3 nights in the hotel, so about $356 each) plus one 2 or 3 day park hopper (one of us has an anual pass already) plus travel from the airport to the hotel and back.

P.P.S. Speaking of roundtrip travel from the airport to the hotel -- Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated -- I'm looking at $23-28 per person!

I can't comment on the HoJos hotel yet because we're going in March. But, I can say that the customer service is exceptional so far. I wanted to stay in the King Suite but had a few questions. I e-mailed the director of sales at the suggestion of dis boarders. He responded immediately, answered all my questions, helped me get a good rate, gave me all kinds of information, etc.

I knew I could get a cheaper no-name hotel closer to the crosswalk. But, I heard those hotels/motels were OK unless there was a problem, and then their customer service was horrible. My correspondance with HoJos convinced me immediately to book with them because excellent customer service makes me feel at ease. :thumbsup2

In terms of the rooms, I've heard that you should ask for rooms away from the highway to avoid some noise. Here's a link to the room layouts and building locations:

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/pdf/room_layouts.pdf

If that link doesn't work... it's a little sensitive for me this morning... go through the main page:
http://www.hojoanaheim.com/info/contact.htm

We stayed at Hojo's last November and loved it. We will be back there at the end of September. We stayed in Building 2 which when I saw it, I was a little concerned because it does back up to the highway and I specifically requested a quiet room. But once in the building, I couldn't hear anything (and I am a pretty light sleeper). We requested to stay in that same building again. It is back by the garden pool. The room was large and very clean.

Our last trip and our upcoming trip we have gotten the entertainment rate of $49 per night. For our upcoming trip I also emailed the director of sales to get that rate. He is great! :thumbsup2

The walk isn't that bad at all, less than 10 minutes, and that was with my 4 year old. I highly recommend it! :goodvibes

We used to always stay at the Disneyland Hotel, but it has just gotten so expensive. So now, we stay at the HoJo. I have to say that the only negative is that the hotel is old. You can tell in the rooms - but, it's not dirty and I never feel grossed out. Otherwise, the short walk to the park is wonderful.. with McDonald's on the way in. We have stayed a few other hotels in the area. Portofino - Looks beautiful in the pictures and when you see it from the front.. but it was disgusting and too expensive for it being so gross.

The HoJo's there has a great reputation. We stayed there in 2003. You have to be careful not to get a room on the back facing the Interstate, or the noise may be bothersome.

Others have (and probably will ;) ) disagree with me on this next point, but the walk bothered me. We have four sons, and when we stayed there they were 11, 10, 8 and 7. We went in summer and took a swim and nap break each day, which meant we had to walk back and forth twice each day. It was definitely doable, but as we walked back in the heat (you will not have that problem in Jan) I looked with jealousy at the hotels there on Harbor which were a bit closer.

I understand you can use the ART bus system there, and that would help - especially if one does not have to wait very long for it (I have heard horror stories about 1+ hour waits for ART). See www.rideart.org.

Also, if you are interested in the nitty gritty of hotel distances, check out this link:

"How Far Is It?" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862

Ive never gone to Disneyland in my life so I couldnt give you my own personal review. BUT a friend of mine goes every year with her family, and thats the only place they will all stay. They LOVE IT.. and highly recommend it.
When they asked me where I am staying when I go on my trip and I told them I wasnt staying there, they looked kinda bummed.

I am going to DL in WOOO HOOO 33 DAYS!!!! But when I was booking my trip I decided to book at the HJ but then I came across a travel package to a different hotel cause the flights were cheaper, so im a bit disappointed I cant stay at HJ, but theres always an upgrade.

Whatever you decide, have a Magical Trip! :sunny:

Stayed there in June and I loved it! Great place, location was good with Mimi's Cafe right across Manchester! The walk is fine if you are fairly fit with no impediments. It can be a long walk late at night after the parks close and all you want is a bed, but in the morning, it goes by lickety split and you have a choice of a few breakfast places along the way!

The room was super super clean and the bed was comfortable. Definitely ask for a room away from the highway. I was in building 4 near the pool and that was awesome!! Right out the door, down the stairs and blam, there's the pool!

You will not regret staying there!

I stayed there last September. It was okay. I really didn't know why everyone says it is so great, but I figure it is because compared to other nearby places it is good. If you are comparing it to the other 50 year old hotels/motels near Disneyland, then yes, it is nice. If you are comparing it to your nice hotels in other areas and in big cities, then it isn't that great. Would I stay there again?--maybe

We had a 2nd floor room in one of the smaller buildings. The room seemed nice and was big and had a lot of natural light coming from a semi-circle window towards the top of the room. Unfortunately, the sun came up early and there was no way to block it out. So, if you don't want the sun waking you up between 5:30-6:30am, don't get a room like that.

The only other problem we had was in the bathroom. It often smelled like mold. We couldn't see anything, but we could smell it occasionally. I wouldn't say the bathroom was dirty, but it wasn't sparkling clean either.

I did like the pool area. The kids seemed to enjoy the splash fountain. The hot tub was large. The grounds were nicely landscaped.

Kayla's Mom said:
Our last trip and our upcoming trip we have gotten the entertainment rate of $49 per night. For our upcoming trip I also emailed the director of sales to get that rate. He is great! :thumbsup2

What did you have to do to get this rate? Is it from the Entertainment book? Could anyone email the sales director to get that rate? We got a little over $100/night for late September.

jenny

We have stayed there twice. The most recent was at the end of this past June. It was very nice and I would not hesitate to stay there again! We had a tower room both times. This last time, we were one floor under the top and had a view of the park. Our room was very large, nicely decorated, and very clean. They are in the process of remodeling, also. They were in the process of doing a new check-in area when we were there.

My parents also went and their room faced the back, the freeway. You could definitely hear the freeway noise in their room. But, I'm sure this is the same as many hotels/motels on that street. You can always ask for a room away from the freeway.

JennyW said:
What did you have to do to get this rate? Is it from the Entertainment book? Could anyone email the sales director to get that rate? We got a little over $100/night for late September.

jenny

Last year I booked about 6 months in advance directly through the hotel. You just ask for the entertainment card rate and if it's available. This year when I called (in June) they told me the rate was not available, so I emailed the director and was able to get it. :thumbsup2

A friend of mine stayed there last April, and said she would definitely stay there again. All she cared about was having a clean, quiet place to sleep, and be within walking distance of the parks, and she said it was great on both counts, only about a 10-min. walk (with a 6yo).

I love love love love love the HoJo! We have been staying there every summer vacation for the past 8 years. We love it. Everyone is so nice. All we do is swim and sleep there. We have stayed in all the sections but prefer the main building. The freeway doesn't bother us because the door is closed and it's a double door when you face the freeway.

HydroGuy said:
Others have (and probably will ;) ) disagree with me on this next point, but the walk bothered me. We have four sons, and when we stayed there they were 11, 10, 8 and 7. We went in summer and took a swim and nap break each day, which meant we had to walk back and forth twice each day. It was definitely doable, but as we walked back in the heat (you will not have that problem in Jan) I looked with jealousy at the hotels there on Harbor which were a bit closer.

I guess you and I are the only ones then! With a 5, 2 and 3 month old at the time, the walk was just a little too far for me. I desperately wished I was staying right at the crosswalk. I will only stay at HOJO now for the Ent. rate, otherwise I won't pay the same or more for a longer walk. It is a nice clean hotel though with a wonderful pool area with no comparison on that stretch of Harbor IMHO.

Andrea

We have stayed there twice (building 2). We would stay there again. On our second visit we did get one of the rooms in building 1 overlooking the highway. It was noisy. You could actually open a balcony door if you wanted to watch the traffic. We asked to be moved to building two in the morning and they moved us.

The HOJOs is the only hotel right across on Harbor that has the least bit of resort feel. We have also stayed at the Park Inn International (has a new name), Best Western Park Inn, & the Desert Inn and Suites - in a parlor suite, we like the extra room now that we have kids. (twice). We would stay at any of those places again.

The HOJOs is slightly further than any of the other places I have stayed. Heat has not been a factor since most of our visits are around Christmas time. There was one trip when our oldest was a baby that I was really concerned about her getting cold on the walk back. But I was a first time parent...

Have a great trip!

Well, I am posting LIVE from the HOJO. We arrived this evening right when the fireworks were going off at the park. My DS likes to think they were perfectly timed just for our arrival.

The room is huge and we have free wireless internet. The room is clean, loving the little fridge, just wish we had a microwave. I'll know more about the walk to the park in the morning.

For now, we are perfectly happy with being here, it is our first stay at HOJO. We usually either stay at a hotel/suites in Orange or at the DLH.

Oh, we are in the tower (bldg 1) on the 4th floor and have a perfect view of the Matterhorn.

:banana: Thanks for responding, everyone!! Only one semi-bad review out of all of you. I'm glad for the negative comments too, because at least I can get the good bad and ugly.

As a followup to this, here are some other questions..

Anyone know a good, very cheap, way to get from the airport to the hotel? (we are flying in to LBA, LAX, or SNA, not sure which yet)

Is that package deal I found a good price?? ($711-$715 = 2 roundtrip airfare from SLC, Utah plus 1 room 3 nights stay at HOJO) ... or can a get a better deal some how??

Thanks for the comments...

KEEP THEM COMING!! :)

Kalli Dawn

kallidawn said:
Is that package deal I found a good price?? ($711-$715 = 2 roundtrip airfare from SLC, Utah plus 1 room 3 nights stay at HOJO) ... or can a get a better deal some how??

Does your package include your park passes? Figure about $100 per night for the HOJO ($300), $300-400 for airfare for 2 from Salt Lake City, and that comes to $650-700. Now if that includes your passes then it is a good deal. If not, it may be cheaper for you to book air & hotel seperately.

Since you are from SLC like I am, I wanted to let you know that when I've shopped for airfare lately, it has been a lot cheaper to fly into Long Beach (and we've booked August, September, & December). I actually like it better than LAX because it is a small airport and getting through security & such is a breeze. It is also a lot closer than LAX. Check out Delta or Jet Blue for good fares. The downside of flying in to Long Beach is that there is no Disneyland Express bus to take you to DL. The rental cars are on site so you just walk across the street from the baggage claim to get one, or you could take a taxi which costs $36 to Disneyland. If you want other transportation options from long beach, check out this link: http://www.longbeach.gov/airport/transport/default.asp

Good luck with your planning and feel free to ask questions as you think of them.

We stayed there this past August. We got a room in the far back building by the freeway and the adult pool. I thought the highway noise was going to be an issue, but we all agreed it never was.... maybe because our verandah faced toward the pool? The only noise was from the evening fireworks at Disneyland. DD3, is extremely frightened of fireworks so we don't stay for them at the park, but boy could we hear them! We had a very nice, clean room and everything smelled fresh. The pools were fun too for our daughter. I liked their gift shop - found things I have never seen in any of the parks or internet too! We got a fantastic Snow White umbrella there. We did take the transit bus to the park some times, but the walk was fine even for our 3 yr old. I would definitely stay there again. The staff was extremely friendly, efficient, and helpful. Thumbs up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter