How's the water temp at Castaway Cay?

Rob1872

DIS Veteran
I'll be at Castaway Cay in 7 days. Was planning on going snorkeling for the first time there to look at the submerged objects.

Anyone been to CC in the last week or so? Was the water temperature comfortable for swimming? (Or at least tolerable for swimming?)

I'll be at Castaway Cay in 7 days. Was planning on going snorkeling for the first time there to look at the submerged objects.

Anyone been to CC in the last week or so? Was the water temperature comfortable for swimming? (Or at least tolerable for swimming?)
One thing - if you are all adults, you should check the temperature on both the Family Beach and Serenity Bay. When I went in the snorkling lagoon it was chilly, but once I got in to chest height, my body got used to it and it was fine. But when we went to Serenity Bay it was much warmer! (This was in mid-February)

I was at CC last week and it was surprisingly a little chilly for May along with lots of seaweed. It still didn't stop people from going in though. You get used to it after a while and I enjoyed snorkeling in the lagoon.

Have a great cruise!

Last edited:

We were there on May 17. My whole family (along with lots of others) spent the afternoon in the water. I was not uncomfortable at all. May depend on where you’re from and what temperatures you’re used to. We’re from PA. Last year we were there in April and while it was slightly cooler we were fine.

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to snorkeling out to the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride submarine!

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to snorkeling out to the old 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride submarine!
I didn't realize that the points of interest are marked by white buoys so I swam around a while. I had to swim in a grid pattern to find it, but it made it more enjoyable. I felt like I was searching for the Titanic at times. I found a snorkel, mask and even a magicband.

We were there on May 17. My whole family (along with lots of others) spent the afternoon in the water. I was not uncomfortable at all. May depend on where you’re from and what temperatures you’re used to.

Ya think? Reported water temp now is 81f ...... heck I won't get in my pool until it is over 85 and right now it is 88!!!!

I live near Port C'

I grew up in Chicago and when in HS we'd make our 'begin summer' trip to Lake Michigan on Memorial Day weekend and the strongest would actually get IN the water ....

anyone wanna guess what the water temp was?????? :scared:

We were there on May 17. My whole family (along with lots of others) spent the afternoon in the water. I was not uncomfortable at all. May depend on where you’re from and what temperatures you’re used to.

Ya think? Reported water temp now is 81f ...... heck I won't get in my pool until it is over 85 and right now it is 88!!!!

I live near Port C'

I grew up in Chicago and when in HS we'd make our 'begin summer' trip to Lake Michigan on Memorial Day weekend and the strongest would actually get IN the water ....

Sorry CAPT, that sounds like back in the era of wooden ships & iron men.... :)

I live near Port C'

I didn’t know you were on my cruise! It would’ve been nice to meet you. My uncle is USCG as well. I almost enlisted but went the USMC route instead. Toured the base in Cape May. It’s a great branch.

Just got back. Water was colder than at St Thomas and Tortola, but I got used to it quickly. Definitely pleasant enough for snorkeling and swimming - and I hate cold water!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter