Hr

Radar

Mouseketeer
Ok here's my take, based on the combination tips of many others, book the pool room, because the one class upgrade will get you to concierge level if space permits, suggest arriving as early as possible and bribe desk clerk--$10-$20, its amazing but these people aren't getting rich, she treated me like a king after that,we got concicerge and a room next to lounge, would also suggest that if possible go on slow days like Mon, Tues, Wed, because more vacancies.Also suggest your bring cooler to bring extra beer, sodas, water, to take with you on trip home, since we drove, it lasted all the way home. The sodas came in handy when we had the Sears guy fixxing the flat, but that's another story. Aslo ther is an umbrella in the closet, nice touch if it rains and you need one for the park....

hey radar,

we have booked the pool view room for august....hoping for that concierge up grade!!!!!!! we are getting picked up by tiffany's at the airport....hoping to stop at a wal-mart on the way......(i have a part time job at the local wal-mart, i can get 10% off)....i just dont want to look like the beverly hillbilly's walking into the HRH wth a cooler, they dont mind??? we wont look too tacky???

thanks,

patty

You won't look tacky at all with a cooler! :) At least, I don't think we did. :p

Honestly though, the staff at the hotel doesn't mind, and you will be much happier with the less expensive alternative of having your own drinks and snacks available without having to pay for the ones that are already in the room.

Here's a picture of the cooler we purchased while in Orlando, sitting on the bar in the room. Isn't it just a lovely one too? :rolleyes:

RIMG0129.JPG

Note, if I remember correctly, that Evian water sitting up there was $6 or $7 a bottle!! :earseek:

wow, that is some expensive water, but the cooler is so lovely....thanks for the reply...we will definately be stopping to pick one up now!!!!

thanks for you reply and for the picture!!!

patty

No shame in your game, huh, Radar??? ;)

I have no problem dragging in anything, Patty. And the DAY I spend $6 for water...
:mad:

If you want to play chances bring favorite DVD and margarita mix, they had the booze, but mix was lame,
also some cheese dip, the food is just chips and veggies,
this place is not snobby you can bring anything you want, also they will give you plastic at the pool bar for your bottle of beer so you will conform.I can only hope your vacation is half as magical as ours, this place lived up to it's billing, I would point out they had some problems according to posts about breaking into cars so you might want to take more into room. there is a safe
inside with digital combo. The other thing I would warn you about is that they close the pool whenever a storm is around, so if you go to park all day and plan to swim in the ve you may be in for dissapointment.Maybe break around noon and come back and do a dip before the afternoon shower.Also there is an umbrella inside the closet for your use.That's where the DVDS comes in handy, my son carries his CD's around everywhere, and happened to have Lethal Weapon, it kept the teens happy the night of the storm.Enjoy....

Thanks for all your tips!!!!!!

47 more days till our trip!!!

We arent bringing a car, so that is one less thing for us to worry about...

I saw a post that there is a super k-mart on the way, are there any wal-marts close by??

patty

There's a Wal-Mart at the corner of Sand Lake and John Young Parkway. It's probably a 15 minute drive from Universal.

I remember Evian was $4 a bottle! No thank you, I thought, I will drink tap water. :)

Have a question for Radar. I have never stayed in a concierge room (never thought it was worth that much money when all I do is sleep there). I have no idea what all you get when you stay in one at the HRH. You mentioned snacks and beverages (alcohol too?) certain times of day and milk and cookies in evening in a lounge. Is concierge on a seperate floor? You also said something about bringing a cooler to bring back water, sodas and alcohol for the trip home. Are you implying that the same mini bar that is in the garden and pool view rooms, which charge an arm and a leg is also in the concierge room but all the stuff is free? I have ressies for July 24 (wed check-in) pool view and will be staying 4 nights. Check out on Sunday. I would like to try for this upgrade and just wanted to find out what I could expect as far as extras. BTW, I love the cooler. We brought our electric cooler back in March and plugged it in before we left for the park that day (had Pepsi cans to chill for our return). Didn't realize we had the plug on the heat side and when we got back to the room, hubby said get a Pepsi. I reached in and grabbed a can and almost burned my hand. At least with the cheap cooler you are guaranteed cold drinks as long as you have the ice. Anyway, do you think with check-in on Wed and a 4 day stay will hinder my chances of upgrade? Also, what kind of view do you get with concierge? Is it standard poolview or could I get sort of a downgrade from my current poolview and end up with a gardenview? Thanks for any info in advance.

very good tips Radar

pathubia try the Wal-Mart on W Colonial Dr., Phone: 407-290-6977

Radar I couldn't help but notice you were from Austin. Whereabouts? this is also my hometown.

Originally posted by eetsoop
very good tips Radar

pathubia try the Wal-Mart on W Colonial Dr., Phone: 407-290-6977

Colonial Drive is a bit far away from the parks. Try the Super K-Mart mentioned before. There's also a Walgreens on Kirkman Dr. and International Drive, and an Eckerd's on Kirkman and other locations.

To answer all the questions, no I don't think the four days would matter, we hadn't stayed at concierge very much either, I figured out that to have a chance at this without paying the rate they wanted at the time, like $90 night I think, wrote off for Loew's card and booked the pool view. Having been to LV a few times, figured these people aren't getting rich either and $10 would
be a fair shot. We checked in at 9:30, she checked us right in, could have actually caught the end of breakfast.
all the concierge is on seven, you have to have a key card for this floor to get in. They have a big lounge area
with a couple of separate rooms with DVD-TVS.They have little kids type videos like Fantasia, you can pick from a selection. They have continental breakfast, they then clear it out around 11 or so and then have little sodas, bottled water all day long, they never close this, always available, the hhr starts around five thirty, they have fairly exotic beer liek Heinekin, Guiness, and several other kinds of stuff, as a cultural low brow I enjoyed sampling some of these.Originally not know ing if we would luck into concierge we brought our cooler
didn't want to purchase that $6.00 water or whatever. Since all the beer, sodas, etc, are bottled, you can take them in backpack each day, you can at least on the second day begin happy hour earlier with yesterday's beer. They do bake the cookies about 8 each night, they had all you could eat, they kept them coming for like an hour or so. We were next door to the lounge which allowed the kids to just hang there, the real savings here is that the same food at the hotel or citywalk would cost you alot, there were six of us so
we dodged breakfast everyday we were there, we ate the snacks,drank at hhr, and we went to eat-skipping the $3.50 bottled beer at City Walk. We laso skipped desert and ate the cookies, they were yum.There is a limit I suppose to how much I would pay but wouldn't underestimate it either, also in the am since I get up early could go eat breakfast and read paper while they slept, same at night, the kids could stay up and some could go to sleep, wouldn't undeestimate the conveninece, its really better in alot of ways than having a suite, Imean it had food, entertainment,
and was supervised by the concierge's, none of my kids had ever experienced. Also for the Austin person, live north in jollyville.You will have fun wherever you end up, I mean the garden view isn't slumming, but it is sort of a special thing. We had a cousin with us, he's from a divorced family, he styayed in alot of bad hotels, he pulled me aside and said he had never stayed in any place so much fun, had to agree.I'm figuring this place is bound to go up, with the entertainment rates, it is such a deal.Have fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter