Hurricane Dorian FINALLY moving - updates pg 10

What do you think Wednesday afternoon looks like for flights into MCO? It looks like 50/50 to me but I thought I'd ask the resident expert as long as I'm here. :)
Will be a mess. Remember the airport will be closed so planes will not be where they should be. Airlines will move their planes out of Florida to avoid damage to the aircraft, and onto any airport that has room for them. On Wed they will spend the day getting the aircraft and the crew to their destinations. My husband is a pilot and what people don't realize is that the flight crew and the planes usually come from 2 different locations. It may take a day or two to get things straightened out. *** plus they are not sure when the airport will reopen. You can follow them on Twitter for updates.

Last edited:
Well...FINALLY! Hurricane Dorian is moving again! It's pretty much inch by inch right now, but Dorian should pick up speed by later this afternoon.

Dorian sat in one place and pounded Grand Bahama Island for more than 18 hours, and is still hammering the island with 120 mph sustained winds and gusts to 140, plus storm surge and heavy waves. This is not quite a world record for hurricane impact, but it's the heaviest prolonged impact on a well-populated place in many years. It will still be much later today, or possibly tomorrow, before conditions are safe for rescue and relief crews to go to the Abacos and Grand Bahama. What they find is likely to be a horrific situation. Efforts are already underway in Miami to generate donations to help the Bahamian relief efforts.

Here's the Tuesday 8 AM map, which looks a LOT like the Monday 8 AM map. Dorian is now a Category 3 hurricane. Compared to a Category 5, that sounds like a big improvement, but it really isn't. Category 3 is still a Major Hurricane capable of causing catastrophic damage, and Dorian will remain a Cat 3 until it reaches South Carolina. So pay close attention to this very dangerous storm.

Dorian is projected to move parallel to the Florida coast, and a little further from the coast than predicted 2-3 days ago. The worst period for Orlando will be Tuesday night and Wednesday, and you should expect wind and rain, probably tropical storm conditions.. I would expect airports in the Orlando area to remain closed all day Wednesday, but check local sources and your airline for accurate info.

Current US Watches and Warnings:

These are the main current watches and warnings for the SE US coast
  • Hurricane WARNING -- Jupiter Inlet, FL to Ponte Vedra Beach, FL near Jax
  • Tropical Storm WARNING -- Ponte Vedra Beach to Altamaha Sound, GA (north of Brunswick, GA)
  • Hurricane Watch -- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL to South Santee River, SC (between Charleston and Myrtle Beach)

Local TV forecasters are now saying that Dorian's effects in the inland Orlando area will be no worse than the afternoon sea breeze storms.

Some TS force gusts are still possible, but sustained TS winds are unlikely. The afternoon storms also sometimes produce TS force gusts.

Local TV forecasters are now saying that Dorian's effects in the inland Orlando area will be no worse than the afternoon sea breeze storms.

Some TS force gusts are still possible, but sustained TS winds are unlikely. The afternoon storms also sometimes produce TS force gusts.
Good.

And you'll be happy to know that even after the closure of FLL, there were still 55 Ubers in queue. Talk about dedicated, lol! Makes you proud, right?

Good.

And you'll be happy to know that even after the closure of FLL, there were still 55 Ubers in queue. Talk about dedicated, lol! Makes you proud, right?

Jim...your updates have been really helpful. Thanks for all your help through this mess. Heading to the airport for my flight to Tampa. I’ll give a report from Disney tomorrow.

Jim...your updates have been really helpful. Thanks for all your help through this mess. Heading to the airport for my flight to Tampa. I’ll give a report from Disney tomorrow.
Thanks Steve. You'll like TPA and the drive is not bad at all. You'll get some rain tomorrow, but it shouldn't be too bad. Have a great trip.

TUESDAY 2 PM update

Dorian has started to move consistently -- now moving 5 mph to the NW. The storm has weakened slightly to 110 mph sustained winds, which makes it an absolutely top-level Category 2 hurricane. The difference between Dorian and Category 3 is ONE mph...so don't get carried away with the "weakening."

Dorian's windfield, however, has expanded so you'll see tropical force winds extending into Florida even though the track of the storm has moved a bit to the east.

Dorian will remain a Category 2 hurricane until it passes North Carolina, and may remain a Category 1 until it approaches Nova Scotia.

Here's the map:

Keep an eye on Dorian and prepare for horrendous reports from the Bahamas. Get your checkbooks ready, because our neighbors are going to need a LOT of help.

Last edited:
Here's the first picture from Great Abaco I've seen. It's an aerial shot showing the scope of damage. For perspective the large objects, like the ones with "Tropical" on the side, appear to be shipping containers like you would see on a container ship. They would be the size of the trailer on an 18-wheeler.

Good.

Speaking of FLL, has it opened yet? I heard it was supposed to open today.

Hoping my daughter and son-in-law disembark the Allure tomorrow at Port Everglades.

And hoping there's a lot more than 55 Ubers waiting for disembarking passengers in the morning.

Here's the first picture from Great Abaco I've seen. It's an aerial shot showing the scope of damage. For perspective the large objects, like the ones with "Tropical" on the side, appear to be shipping containers like you would see on a container ship. They would be the size of the trailer on an 18-wheeler.

View attachment 432608
There is some video out too:
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/first-aerial-images-of-marsh-harbor-bahamas-in-ruinI agree we need to get our checkbooks ready. I’m the chair for an upcoming professional society conference. I will be proposing we use it as a fundraising opportunity for recovery efforts in the Bahamas.

Speaking of FLL, has it opened yet? I heard it was supposed to open today.

Hoping my daughter and son-in-law disembark the Allure tomorrow at Port Everglades.

And hoping there's a lot more than 55 Ubers waiting for disembarking passengers in the morning.
Yes, FLL is open now. I think they'll be able to get a ride...

Tuesday 5 PM update

Here's the 5 PM update, and the last map I'm going to post tonight unless something changes radically. Dorian is now moving reliably NW at 6 mph. It is still a top-end Category 2 storm, 110 mph winds (just 1 mph below Cat 3), and will be until Friday.

Tonight and tomorrow will be the stormiest periods for the Orlando area. Darien's eye has expanded some, and the windfield is also expanding -- so even though Dorian is going to be further offshore that we thought earlier, Orlando is still going to get some weather. Once the storm is past, the weather should be nice.

For reference, the H dot opposite Cocoa Beach/Orlando is the estimated position of Dorian at 2 AM tomorrow morning, the one up by Jacksonville is 2 PM tomorrow.

Here's the map.

The pictures and video coming out of the Bahamas is unimaginable devastation. It has been completely obliterated.

The pictures and video coming out of the Bahamas is unimaginable devastation. It has been completely obliterated.
Yep. We've been kinda busy here and I haven't really had time to look at TV (had to send Grandma to the hospital last night), but I probably will tonight. One thing to remember when you see all the inundation on Grand Bahama is that the population of that island is 67,000 people. So the potential loss of life there is huge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter