Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

We stay in South Florida and plan on doing Food and Wine at Epcot this weekend but watching and hoping Dorian stays away for the weekend or better yet miss us🤞🏽

I just saw on the Weather Channel that the Florida Governor declared a state of emergency ahead of the storm. I'm from the Northeast and not really sure what that means. When we have a state of emergency due to snow storms (which we get a lot), that has something to do with opening up funding. I'm not really sure how it works, but I'm wondering if it means the same in Florida for hurricanes?

We leave tomorrow to start the drive and will arrive in Florida Friday early afternoon.

I just saw on the Weather Channel that the Florida Governor declared a state of emergency ahead of the storm. I'm from the Northeast and not really sure what that means. When we have a state of emergency due to snow storms (which we get a lot), that has something to do with opening up funding. I'm not really sure how it works, but I'm wondering if it means the same in Florida for hurricanes?

We leave tomorrow to start the drive and will arrive in Florida Friday early afternoon.

It is the same thing. Any time a Governor declares a State of Emergency it covers a lot of things for that State. Also, I think it also means you can cancel your flight and rooms without penalties if you are traveling to that area where the State of Emergency has been declared.

So I'd like to put in my 2¢ since I plan my vacation this time of year, every year, and this is now the second time I will have to watch hurricane reports. Hurricanes are unpredictable. I was supposed to land the day Irma hit Florida, and the predictions were all over the place. Do not panic, just use the predictions to make an educated guess when planning, but do not take the predictions as law.

Personally, I won't be making any changes. I fly in on the 7th this year, and the hurricane should be long gone, but my only concern is if MCO shuts down, if it will be open in time for my inbound flight. I think I will be fine, but I'll be watching this unfold with the rest of you.

I fly in on the 7th this year, and the hurricane should be long gone, but my only concern is if MCO shuts down, if it will be open in time for my inbound flight. I think I will be fine, but I'll be watching this unfold with the rest of you.
This is what I'm worried about, we fly in on the 3rd at 6pm from LAX. We're coming from Australia so it is a long flight and we have an infant and toddler. Can't believe we chose September again instead of November this trip.

We drove last year when Florence was coming in. We had to adjust our driving route away from the coast and left a day early to get down to Florida. We already adjusted our plans for Monday and I'm not worrying about things too much. There's really nothing to do but wait and watch.

My grandma and I have tickets for MNSSHP on Monday the 2nd as my birthday is the 3rd and my days off work fall on the 2nd and 3rd. However, I work as a dispatcher for state highway patrol and there's already talk about possibly making us come in when it hits and stay until it's clear. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed!

Reluctantly, creating a thread on the topic so the mods can update the title and Post #1 if and when needed.

This storm is still well off the coast and there are many unknowns in terms of the ultimate path, but it’s worth paying attention to if you live in or have travel plans in the Central Florida area.
Accurate information and a clear plan can be helpful when faced with the uncertainty and anxiety tropical systems tend to create, particularly when travel plans are involved.

Let’s try to keep the discussion theme parks and storm related. Off topic posts may be removed at the discretion of the moderators.

Helpful Links:

NOAA - https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#Dorian

Mike’s Weather Page - https://spaghettimodels.com/

Brian Shields / WFTV9 - https://twitter.com/BrianShieldsTV

Denis Phillips / ABC Action News Tampa - https://twitter.com/DenisPhillips28

Thanks everyone.

Thank you for your weather or hurricane links GADisneyDad14.

I am in Daytona Beach, Florida now through Sunday, September 9, 2019. I do have annual travel insurance.

Yesterday we had heavy rain for about an hour on the beach, but today has been mostly sunny with what looks like calm waves.

This is a photo of the sunrise this morning:

I just took this photo from my room:

Several years ago I was in the same situation with Hurricane Matthews and there was a mandatory evacuation.

Hurricane Matthew was the first Category 5 Atlantic hurricane since Felix in 2007. Matthew caused catastrophic damage and a humanitarian crisis in Haiti, as well as widespread devastation in the southeastern United States. Wikipedia

Total fatalities: 603
Date: September 28, 2016 – October 10, 2016
Dates: Sep 28, 2016 – Oct 10, 2016
Category: Category 5 Hurricane (SSHWS)
Damage: $16.47 billion (2016 USD)

I was lucky to find a flight out the day before the hurricane hit.

This time I am using a rental car instead of flying.

I didn't want to go through the same thing this time, so I went to Trivago and made a reservation through Expedia for two nights at Disney Pop Century.

Of course, that is where my mind was at. Why not WDW and hunker down. I did buy a separate cancellation policy from Expedia just in case I don't need to leave Daytona Beach, Florida because of the Hurricane Dorian.

It is better than nothing and I don't want to drive back to Atlanta, because, on September 8, 2019, I plan to travel to Orlando, Florida for two weeks after leaving Daytona Beach, Florida.

I started another thread asking for suggestions about another hotel near WDW with concrete covered parking deck.

I don't have regular car insurance since I don't own a car, so I buy the Allianz Annual Travel Insurance for that.

But I don't want to take a chance of any hurricane damage to my rental car just for my peace of mind.

I know...that is just the way my brain is thinking right now.

So do any of you know of any hotels with concrete parking decks?

The resort that I am staying in now has a concrete parking deck in case I don't have to leave Daytona Beach, Florida.

Last edited:
I have a mild case of "survivor's guilt"-My first thoughts upon hearing about this were, "Glad we aren't headed down until Thursday, it should be mostly over by then." Followed by deserved self-shaming and prayers lifted up for those who will be there and possibly in it's path. Those prayers will continue.....

If it sinks south, wouldn't that put Disney on the east side of the hurricane, which has the worst part of the winds? Or am I wrong here?

That is what I was thinking about where I am at in Daytona Beach, Florida and would probably get the worst wind and rain and ocen waves, etc.

Correction, people who live in FLORIDA don't evacuate for hurricanes.

The barrier islands are mandatory evacuation zones. In the 90s, our phone book had maps showing who had to evacuate for what level storm. My grandparents had to evacuate from their beach condo to our house on the mainland. People evacuate to Orlando, so only low lying areas or buildings that can't withstand wind (mobile homes) will evacuate there. Disney hotels host evacuated nursing home residents.

@GADisneyDad14 has put together a great resource list. Just wanted.to say thank you!
We’ve found best of the resources listed is Mike’s Weather page, knowledgeable & always up to date. For those who have facebook- Mike goes live several times a day, more often as storms get closer.
His facebook page is simply called Mikes Weather Page - very easy to find using the search feature. His accuracy record is awesome!

That is what I was thinking about where I am at in Daytona Beach, Florida and would probably get the worst wind and rain and ocen waves, etc.
Well I still think it could go any which way, they still don't have it down for certain just yet. Not sure when they will have the path set in stone, but I would stay alert no doubt. But ya, the east side of these storms are supposed to be the worst of it I think.

I think right now they said the hurricane winds are only extending out 15 miles from the eye of the storm, and tropical storm winds are only extending out 80 miles. It is a small storm, area wise. If it stays that way and hits south, Orlando/Disney may be far enough away to not get much from it.

Just an FYI people who live in Orlando don't evacuate for hurricanes.

Just an FYI -Yes some people in Orlando do, depending on the storm and their living situation. Also, not everyone who works at the parks lives directly in Orlando, and even those who do live in Orlando would probably rather be home riding out the storm at home than stuck at work. I understand some jobs are essential (emergency workers, healthcare, etc) but theme park employees should not have to feel that pressure just because vacationers won't stay home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter