Hurricane Irma?

Just curious does anyone know what Seaworld does? I understand they take the smaller animals inside but I read that Orcas will go several hundred feet below the surface during a hurricane in the ocean, what can they possibly do for them in a bathtub?

I'm thinking of picking up a few sandwiches at the airport before jumping on ME. Does that sound like a good idea - meaning will the airport have food available for purchase on saturday morning.....There are fridges in the rooms at Port Orleans, right? (yes, I understand that without power the fridge wont help.....)

Well, not really. If there's a hurricane at a Disney hotel the employees will be responsible to prevent loss of life. There will be employees keeping guests indoors, fed, etc, if there is indeed a dangerous hurricane raging outdoors.

In other words, they are there to do the job they were hired to do. Just because one volunteers to work extra hours checking people into a resort during a hurricane doesn't mean that employee is preventing loss of life.

It's Disney Inc.'s responsibility to keep its onsite guests safe at all times, not just during a hurricane. You can't leave resort guests alone on a property, so obviously employees need to be present to maintain basic hotel operations. They're "responsible to prevent loss of life" only if their job description says so. They're not the Red Cross, nor are they legitimate first responders.

If Disney can't scrape up enough employees to volunteer to work during a disaster, then you either run on a skeleton crew or management steps up to take up the slack.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of picking up a few sandwiches at the airport before jumping on ME. Does that sound like a good idea - meaning will the airport have food available for purchase on saturday morning.....There are fridges in the rooms at Port Orleans, right? (yes, I understand that without power the fridge wont help.....)
Yes, all the rooms have fridges. I would get what you can at the airport, though it will be pricey. As soon as you arrive, fill up your ice bucket in case the power goes out. You could also check at the resort gift shop to see what they have available for you to purchase and take back to your room.

You can't leave resort guests alone on a property, so obviously employees need to be present to maintain basic hotel operations. They're "responsible to prevent loss of life" only if their job description says so. They're not the Red Cross.

If Disney can't scrape up enough employees to volunteer to work during a disaster, then you either run on a skeleton crew or management steps up to take up the slack.

Lets not forget these cast members have places of their own, and familes that they have to worry about also..

There is absolutely no one in the parks right now lol just checked mde and all the wait times are basically nothing and watching the snap stories down there parking lots are empty and so many rides are walk on. Hope everyone who is there enjoys today!

Yeah, but FOP is still 115 minutes, LOL.

I hope the building it is in is safe from the storm... would really like to try it.

If my (ever increasingly faulty) memory is right, 200 mph

Read this earlier for what it's worth "Disney imagineers built the castle to withstand winds of at least 110 mph. They used a 600-ton steel frame and 10-inch concrete walls. Other sources say it can withstand winds of up to 125 mph." I would think that resorts would have to comply with some state building standard and that Disney would probably go beyond that standard.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/09/irma-...nderella-castle-withstand-wind-magic-kingdom/

Last edited:
Finally cancelled my 09/10-09/17 trip and I'm extremely bummed out but I know it was the right decision. Word of advice, I booked my trip (flight+hotel: POR) through Expedia and after spending 4 hours on hold and receiving zero help when I finally did speak to someone, I tweeted Expedia and they promptly responded and cancelled my reservations through DM. If anyone runs into a similar issue, I highly recommend reaching out via Twitter!

Now to see what happens this weekend and figure out my trip dates to re-book... Hope everyone in the storm's path stay's safe and the damage is minimal.

My sister worked for a few hotel chains and they would reserve some rooms for the staff to stay and handle all aspects of things in case regularly scheduled employees couldn't make it in.

That is true, if it tracks up the middle of FL. If it stays off the coast and makes landfall again in Savannah area, Atlanta is going to get much more than some rain and breezy.

Sure. And if it stays completely offshore, nobody gets wet. :teeth:

Can only go off models and predictions...which will likely change somewhat. Most current models have it going straight up Florida, or to the west. Very few think it will stay offshore to the east, where Augusta is. Time will tell...

Finally cancelled my 09/10-09/17 trip and I'm extremely bummed out but I know it was the right decision. Word of advice, I booked my trip (flight+hotel: POR) through Expedia and after spending 4 hours on hold and receiving zero help when I finally did speak to someone, I tweeted Expedia and they promptly responded and cancelled my reservations through DM. If anyone runs into a similar issue, I highly recommend reaching out via Twitter!

Now to see what happens this weekend and figure out my trip dates to re-book... Hope everyone in the storm's path stay's safe and the damage is minimal.
Amazing how responsive companies become on social media. Good for you!

Well, not really. If there's a hurricane at a Disney hotel the employees will be responsible to prevent loss of life. There will be employees keeping guests indoors, fed, etc, if there is indeed a dangerous hurricane raging outdoors.

My daughter is a CM at HS right now and she volunteered for this. The CM's that assist get to lodge at Resort as well.

I am really scared about staying this weekend. What is the chance of loss of life?

So my flight out tomorrow got canceled. Sucks!

But... I get to AKL expecting to be told no more rooms. Luckily enough I was able to add two nights for the discounted price!

It's crappy to be here during a hurricane of course. But I think the best/safest place to be during a hurricane is a Disney resort (especially a fortress like AKL!).

So onward and upward. Pandora tonight and tomorrow morning. Then probably hanging out in AKL Sunday night and Monday. I could spend all day in this lobby so that's barely a punishment.

Gonna get some water and food for the room. Got stuff changed. All in all I'm feeling pretty good!
Sorry to hear that. What time were you supposed to depart?

I am surprised they made the call right now to close on Monday too.

Still trying to catch up... So Universal is closed? They just stated on HLN they are open for now. Sea World and Busch Gardens closing Sat 5pm and Sunday and Monday.

Can't believe the news can't keep up to date as our little thread here. LOL! :crazy:

Probably small, but the governor said this morning that everyone in Florida should be prepared to evacuate. Leave now if you can.

You should evacuate if you live at the coast. They are telling people to go inland. If you live in Florida and not on the coast, or flood zone, they are not telling you to leave... Unless you have a mobile home from what I understand..

My family have not been told to leave

Still trying to catch up... So Universal is closed? They just stated on HLN they are open for now. Sea World and Busch Gardens closing Sat 5pm and Sunday and Monday.

Can't believe the news can't keep up to date as our little thread here. LOL! :crazy:
closing tomorrow at 7pm through Monday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter