Hurricane Irma?

thank you guys for the info!! When I called this morning first thing the CM said to me was, "You will lose the free dining you must understand that before we continue." Then preceded to tell me there were no rooms at all available at any resort but Copper Creek Villas if I were to move, but there are tons online! Is there any way to just talk to guest services or should I wait and be transferred when the reservation doesn't work out?
I'm not sure but when they ask what your call is regarding maybe try saying guest services.

As many posters have said, Irma's track beyond the next 24-48 hours is still uncertain. Don't listen to anyone telling you that it is supposed to tear up the middle of Florida. Is that one possible path? Yes. But there are other paths as well. It could shave across the bottom of florida, it could skirt up the east coast into the carolinas or Virginia, it could go out to sea. We won't know for at least another day or two.

1v8sav.jpg

Whew! I finally caught up with this thread. We're supposed to fly down on Friday and stay through the 17th. As of now, my plan is to still go and just plan on being stuck in the room for a couple days, but that could change as we get closer to Friday. I'm keeping a cautious eye on this. My phone rang tonight and without looking at it, I told DD "that's grandma calling about the hurricane." And I was right. Surprisingly, my normally highly anxious mother was completely calm about it and didn't seemed concerned that we might still go and just ride it out in our room at BLT. On the other hand, I got a series of very anxious texts from a friend, telling me that all of Florida was going to be experiencing tropical storm force winds by Friday. Hmm.. not according to the models I'm looking at.

Well, off to look at more models....

Can you wait and see if Disney officially activates their hurricane policy tomorrow? There should be at least some clearer indication of where it is headed by then (no assurances unfortunately).

I think that's what we are leaning towards waiting on. I keep hearing that by tomorrow we will most likely start getting a better picture of where she's heading? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

The other option my husband had asked me about, was to see if they would let us delay our trip by a couple of days. It would be even better if they let us make them up at the tail end of our trip by adding a couple of extra nights on...but I know that's wishful thinking. There was litterally zero availability at the value resorts earlier this afternoon when I called and right now we are scheduled to be at Allstar Music.

I think that's what we are leaning towards waiting on. I keep hearing that by tomorrow we will most likely start getting a better picture of where she's heading? Correct me if I'm mistaken.

The other option my husband had asked me about, was to see if they would let us delay our trip by a couple of days. It would be even better if they let us make them up at the tail end of our trip by adding a couple of extra nights on...but I know that's wishful thinking. There was litterally zero availability at the value resorts earlier this afternoon when I called and right now we are scheduled to be at Allstar Music.

All the experts I follow have said that there will be increased confidence in the models starting tomorrow. So the picture should start to get clearer. Of course even a shorter term forecast can be wrong. Matthew was supposed to make east coast landfall and then wobbled and just kinda grazed the Florida coast before hitting the Carolinas.

I delayed my trip by a few days and extended. Keep checking availability!

All the experts I follow have said that there will be increased confidence in the models starting tomorrow. So the picture should start to get clearer. Of course even a shorter term forecast can be wrong. Matthew was supposed to make east coast landfall and then wobbled and just kinda grazed the Florida coast before hitting the Carolinas.

I delayed my trip by a few days and extended. Keep checking availability!

I feel like tomorrow I'm going to be calling like a mad woman!

My little people are SO excited to be going...so having a scenario play out that would allow us to still go, but put my mind at ease would be amazing!

I already spent 6hrs+ and made a gazillion phone calls getting free dining...what's a few more hundred phone calls and a few more hours to make this work, right? Lol!
Still on hold. Will update as soon as I know something. They might tell me no but it's worth trying.

Totally agree!! Fingers crossed!

I want to save my free dining!!!.....

Just tonight we were able to move our trip and save our free dining. We moved our whole trip (of 8 days total) up by 4 days, so now we arrive on the 12th instead of the 8th. We even got the same room category at the same resort! We just lost FOP and 7 Dwarves FP+s as well as ADRs for Crystal Palace, LeCellier, and Jungle Nav. Trying to just keep those losses in perspective all things considered. The $100 pp flight adjustment wasn't fun either. :-(.

Just wanted to throw out that hope for you! The CM I talked to was soooo accommodating. I would just call first thing tomorrow.

Well going on 2 hours on hold but holding out strong...will update my results good or bad when I know them. I think everyone needs to just go with their gut. I know it could move out and everything be fine but we stay in Pop where we would be disconnected from the main buildings if we got flooded or something happened. I also have a 3 and 6 year old and the last thing I want is for them to have a scary experience at Disney. It was a hard decision but my husband and I agreed it's the right one for us.

A weather station in Barbuda that was recording weather conditions for the National Weather Service (wind speed and direction every six minutes) has just fallen silent: its last posting was at 12:12am AST, when gusts of 87 mph were logged.

The center of Irma is presently located less about 50 miles east-southeast of the island of Barbuda and is still moving west-northwestward at about 15 mph.

Irma's maximum sustained winds are steady at 185 mph

And here is a graphic that simplifies the upcoming critical weekend changes in Irma's direction.

As it indicates, steering currents will be changing, which will cause Irma to turn more northerly. But there are wide disagreements in all the various models of exactly where that turn will occur. It could be anywhere from the gulf side of Florida to somewhere in the Atlantic east of Florida, with most models currently projecting somewhere in the middle of that range . And the direction of that move won't become clear until sometime next weekend.

DCT_SPECIAL45_1280x720.jpg
A

Last edited:
Just tonight we were able to move our trip and save our free dining. We moved our whole trip (of 8 days total) up by 4 days, so now we arrive on the 12th instead of the 8th. We even got the same room category at the same resort! We just lost FOP and 7 Dwarves FP+s as well as ADRs for Crystal Palace, LeCellier, and Jungle Nav. Trying to just keep those losses in perspective all things considered. The $100 pp flight adjustment wasn't fun either. :-(.

Just wanted to throw out that hope for you! The CM I talked to was soooo accommodating. I would just call first thing tomorrow.

The 8th from the 12th is exactly what I was trying to do this morning and I was told no hope of it at all! You should go buy a lottery ticket! :-) I think it really must depend on the CM you get.

Oooooh man. You may have just given me a little hope...

Bf and I just moved my 21st birthday trip (9/8-9/12) to October.. Jet Blue waved the changing fee, but still had to pay a difference of 180 each..
So upset I lost all my good FP's and my reservation to BOG... :sad1:

We decided its not worth the risk of going to Florida and getting stuck there or having the parks close on our short trip.

Good luck to everyone in whatever decision you make.

I'm currently out here and having fun - but worried enough about this to have stocked up on bottles of water and cans of soda and cereal and cereal bars (if I don't end up using them I guess I'll offer them to people checking in at Pop when I leave)!

Due to fly out of MCO on 12th - will see how things go in the next few days. Contemplating buying a 20,000 mAh battery pack now...

Oh and just saw that United has now added travel waivers for Miami and a few other Florida airports, but not yet for MCO...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter