I am going during October 9 to 14. Will it still be busy in the Park?

moliuchick

Mouseketeer
I hate stress and from my previous park experience, I always have to get to the park extra early for the rides. My kids are teenagers now, they are lazy and I am sure they won't wake up early. My husband and I are also getting older and I don't feel like rushing to the park and try to do everything there. Is it still going to be busy and crazy in the park during Oct 9 to 14? Do I need to plan ahead of time and figure out which rides to go early and wait in line?
Also we used to staying in the POP century which is so close to the park. I want to stay in a nicer resort this time, what will be a good one that is close to the park?
I just wanna chill and enjoy the trip. I really don't feel like rushing like before. Any suggestions?

I just got back from Labor Day Weekend. I would guess Columbus Day Weekend would be similar crowd wise unless capacity is expanded between now and then.

We waited an average of 20 minutes per ride at Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Our longest wait was 45 minutes for Slinky Dog Dash, but we rode it 2 more times later in the day waiting just 15 minutes each.

As for our plan, we went left to right at the Magic Kingdom riding the next ride as we went, not worrying or paying attention whatsoever to wait times. We finished what we wanted to ride at 2:30(all but parts of Fantasy Land).

For HollyWood Studios we started at Smugglers Run and then worked our way to the right around the park. We were done around 3pm with everything except Rise of the Resistance. We ended up staying until our boarding group was called at 6:15. Taking a break riding the SkyLiner to Epcot and back, then Slinky Dog three more times, Toy Story Mania two more times, and R&R two more times.

That weekend is Columbus Day weekend and many schools are still taking fall breaks around that time (including ours). Between the fall breaks and the local FL residents taking advantage of the 3 day weekend, I think Sat-Mon is going to be busy. I was originally scheduled to be there that weekend and changed my reservation to arrive on the 12th to avoid the more crowded weekend days. I'm just hoping the rest of that week will not be too bad.

I just got back from Labor Day Weekend. I would guess Columbus Day Weekend would be similar crowd wise unless capacity is expanded between now and then.

We waited an average of 20 minutes per ride at Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom. Our longest wait was 45 minutes for Slinky Dog Dash, but we rode it 2 more times later in the day waiting just 15 minutes each.

As for our plan, we went left to right at the Magic Kingdom riding the next ride as we went, not worrying or paying attention whatsoever to wait times. We finished what we wanted to ride at 2:30(all but parts of Fantasy Land).

For HollyWood Studios we started at Smugglers Run and then worked our way to the right around the park. We were done around 3pm with everything except Rise of the Resistance. We ended up staying until our boarding group was called at 6:15. Taking a break riding the SkyLiner to Epcot and back, then Slinky Dog three more times, Toy Story Mania two more times, and R&R two more times.

Thanks for your quick response. Seems like it is not too busy now due to covid? Hopefully, it will still be okay by the time I go. We have not been back since 2014. I guess a lot has changed! How did your kids do with masks and the hot weather?

Thanks for your quick response. Seems like it is not too busy now due to covid? Hopefully, it will still be okay by the time I go. We have not been back since 2014. I guess a lot has changed! How did your kids do with masks and the hot weather?
Labor Day weekend, this past Saturday and Sunday were the first two back to back days that met current capacity at all four parks. Even then it was eerily quiet.

Flying over the Hollywood Studios parking lot on the SkyLiner you could see they were using maybe 10% of the parking lot and that was with parking cars every other row.

My kids are 21 and 18. They did fine. I won't lie, it was HOT, HOT, HOT. The sweat just dripped of our bodies. This was our second Covid theme park trip, having done Universal in July. Would we have been more comfortable without masks, sure. Was it a problem, no.

And the theme parks have staggered opening times, which means that making it for rope drop isn't as early as it used to be for several parks, like Hollywood Studios (10:00) and Epcot (11:00). More sleeping in!

PHXscuba

My husband and I have been talking about sneaking away for a quick trip in October we haven't been since 2014. Sounds like it might be a perfect (although different) trip.

Don't stress - this will be an easier trip than in years past! This is a great time to go to be able to sleep in and still enjoy the parks. From what I see from YouTube vloggers, you can still do about everything, even if you get to the parks after noon each day (of course Columbus Weekend will be busier, so keep that in mind...I am going the same weekend and still hopeful they may add more park hours.) Stay at Pop (we are) and enjoy the quiet ride to the parks on the Skyliner! There won't be the evening fireworks, streetmosphere, or shows, but just slow down and enjoy the magic and details that make the parks so special!

Historically this is a very busy time but 2020.......eh......who knows?

I still think rope drop is your best friend, especially since there are no FP and park hours are shortened.

FWIW, last week HS reported that all park reservations for AP holders were "sold out" for the month of October.

Historically this is a very busy time but 2020.......eh......who knows?

I still think rope drop is your best friend, especially since there are no FP and park hours are shortened.

FWIW, last week HS reported that all park reservations for AP holders were "sold out" for the month of October.
FWIW, if you go to the availability calendar now and look, you'll see that AP holders have availability to all parks, including HS, for 19 days in October.

Thanks kdonnel, for the specifics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter