I am so darn confused about upgrading to an AP

dvcfamily41801

Future Walt Disney World Cast Member
Okay, here it is short and sweet....kinda

I purchased a 4 day hopper in July and used only 2 days. This Saturday (12/6) I am planning on purchasing 2 adult AP's and 1 child AP. Can I credit the 2 unused days towards the AP, and how much of a credit would I receive? Also, when would the AP start? We asked this question in July and were told it would start the first day the 4 day ticket was used (July) which did not seem right to me, but what do I know.

I am so sorry I know this has been asked and answered but I am an airhead and don't get it sometimes. Plus reading the post about a 7 day window...that totally threw me off, I think I am confusing scenieros or something.

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by dvcfamily41801
Okay, here it is short and sweet....kinda

I purchased a 4 day hopper in July and used only 2 days. This Saturday (12/6) I am planning on purchasing 2 adult AP's and 1 child AP. Can I credit the 2 unused days towards the AP, and how much of a credit would I receive? Also, when would the AP start? We asked this question in July and were told it would start the first day the 4 day ticket was used (July) which did not seem right to me, but what do I know.

I am so sorry I know this has been asked and answered but I am an airhead and don't get it sometimes. Plus reading the post about a 7 day window...that totally threw me off, I think I am confusing scenieros or something.

Thanks everyone!
You can apply the remaining two days towards an AP. I will start on the day of the upgrade. You will pay the current price for the annual less two days credit remaining on your old pass. Divide the cost of the pass by 4, multiply that by the remaining days and subtract that from the cost of the new pass. This will give you a rough idea of the cost you will pay for the annual pass. If you did not buy your pass from Disney, they will credit what the discounter paid for it. Not what you paid for it. IE: if you purchased it via an agent, (say Ticketmania) and you paid 200.00 for it, but Ticketmania bought it for 185.00, you will not get 100.00 towards another pass, you will get 92.50 towards the annual.
If you had purchased the annual within 7 days of purchase or first use of the pass in July, you would have received full credit towards the annual, but, it would have been backdated to the date you first used the pass.

I had a really hard time upgrading my dd's 4 day PH to an AP last February. Even though we had not used it at all the CM insisted that it would only be good for a year from the purchase of the PH. He was also going by a date on the PH which was not the date I purchased it. The PH was purchased at the Disney Store in December of 02 and I tried to upgrade it, totally unused, in Feb of 03. I was under the impression that the full price of the ticket would be applied to an AP good for a year - to Feb 04. The CM gave me an AP good until March of 03. Huh ??- all that money for an AP good for a month.

Luckily I had my original receipt from the Disney store and after lots of time and 2 supervisors I finally got full credit for the park hopper, paid the difference and got an AP good for a year from that date. Seems the "system" was defaulting to the date the PH was printed regardless of the date I purchased it. Good thing I had the receipt.

If I had to do it again I would have kept the 4 day park hopper as they don't expire and purchased a new AP for my dd. We are lucky enough to go often and have family that does as well so it would never go to waste!!

It was sooooo stressful and I realy had to stand my ground with the CM's. My dd was sobbing as she thought she would not be able to enter Epcot with us that day.

If you do decide to upgrade the hopper, have all your information, receipts etc. and I recommend calling ahead for the options available. If possible speak with a supervisor and get names and dates. Be preapred for a fairly lengthy time at the guest relations window as well as it seems this isn't an easy thing for the CM's to get the computers to do.

Sorry so negative but hope this helps.

TJ

I would love to jump in here! I have 4-4 day UPH for my upcoming trip. I thnk I might be returning next December with my family for a trip.

I booked through Dreams Unlimited and my agent said that I can not upgrade my passes... Does that mean that I can't upgrade with her? Can I upgrade to AP when we arrive (so it will be < 12 months from our December trip)?

How much are AP running?

One more thing, since you have already used two days the two days left may have more value as park hoppers than $$ toward the AP. If you can afford it, and will return to wdw at some point, consider keeping the unsused days and purchasing the AP outright.

Since Disney dosen't sell less than a 4 day park hopper (except special circumstances) we often try and save a day or two on our passes. Since we have family in Florida, we and other family members like to spend one or two days at WDW and the one park per day pass isn't a good option for us. Having a ph with a day or two so we can do more than one park is a great value for us. YMMV.

TJ

Originally posted by pewing
I would love to jump in here! I have 4-4 day UPH for my upcoming trip. I thnk I might be returning next December with my family for a trip.

I booked through Dreams Unlimited and my agent said that I can not upgrade my passes... Does that mean that I can't upgrade with her? Can I upgrade to AP when we arrive (so it will be < 12 months from our December trip)?

How much are AP running?

No, unlimited park hoppers are linked to your length of stay, they start at check-in and stop at midnight the last day of your stay. Park hoppers are good for a specific number of days but don't have to be used consecutively and don't have anything to do with your hotel reservation.

From what I have read here, I think a conversation with your DU agent can be helpful. You now have a package and perhaps your agent can help you change to a room only reservation with AP's. This may involve cancelling the package you have now and booking a new one - could be tricky so research your options.

www.allears.net has a great page explaining and comparing the costs of Annual Passes vs Park Hoppers and Unlimited Park Hopper passes.

TJ

Originally posted by pewing
How much are AP running?

tjmw2727 gave you some good advice regarding your current UPH passes. As stated, you cannot upgrade a UPH to any other admission media. But it may be worth investigating whether that component can be carved-out of your reservation without any ill effects.

If you were able to change to a Premium Annual Pass, which gives you the same admission options as the UPH, the cost would be $520.81 adult and $443.05 child.

If you just want unlimited admission to the four main theme parks, you can get the standard Annual Pass for $392.99 adult and $334.41 child.

Originally posted by tjmw2727
...Luckily I had my original receipt from the Disney store and after lots of time and 2 supervisors I finally got full credit for the park hopper, paid the difference and got an AP good for a year from that date. Seems the "system" was defaulting to the date the PH was printed regardless of the date I purchased it. Good thing I had the receipt...
You are correct, it does default to that date when it is swiped through the reader. That's why it is so imperative for anyone upgrading tickets to AP's check the expiration date that shows on the AP BEFORE they leave the Guest Relations window.

Your experience also emphasizes what I've tried to tell people all along. Disney CM's - even Guest Relation CM's - don't always have the correct answers.

pewing:

UPH's that are purchased at resort check in are upgradeable. UPH's purchased as part of a package (including adding them in advance to a room only reservation) are not upgradeable.

I have been thinking about taking my 6 day hopper and upgrading it to an ap. I will be in orlando for a conference at the convention center in Jan and I thought it might be cheaper in the long run. I am also planning on being in DW in DEC of 2004. I figured they would take the value of an unused ticket and charge me the difference?

Dan-tot :confused:

Originally posted by dan-tot
I have been thinking about taking my 6 day hopper and upgrading it to an ap. I will be in orlando for a conference at the convention center in Jan and I thought it might be cheaper in the long run. I am also planning on being in DW in DEC of 2004. I figured they would take the value of an unused ticket and charge me the difference?
If the ticket is completely unused, then you will receive full dollar credit for the purchase price if you bought it from a Disney source. If you bought it from an independent ticket wholesaler, you will receive slightly less than what you paid for it (about 10-15% less). You would then pay the difference between the AP price and the credit you get for the old ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter