I am Universal dumb..

my2lovedisney

Mouseketeer
Seriously..I am a WDW girl through and through, I could walk those parks and book a vacation with my eyes shut (ok, not really..) you get the point. I am having such a tough time figuring out how Universal books vacations? Do they offer packages like Disney, where you choose your hotel, tickets and meals? Or is everything separate? Do they offer their own version of a "Fast Pass" ? Does it come included with your tickets? Someone please point in the right direction to a thread that has this information or a website. I'd be grateful for the help! :)

Universal has Express pass, which can be bought, but is included, unlimited use, for staying at one of their three premium hotels. No scheduling fast passes, just wander on rides whenever you wish.

You can buy packages or each item separately.

Seriously..I am a WDW girl through and through, I could walk those parks and book a vacation with my eyes shut (ok, not really..) you get the point. I am having such a tough time figuring out how Universal books vacations? Do they offer packages like Disney, where you choose your hotel, tickets and meals? Or is everything separate? Do they offer their own version of a "Fast Pass" ? Does it come included with your tickets? Someone please point in the right direction to a thread that has this information or a website. I'd be grateful for the help! :)

I'm right there with you. I'd love to add a Universal segment to our next trip, but I feel like I'm wandering around in the wilderness. I don't find their website to be anywhere near as user friendly as Disney's and I just give up because it seems so expensive and not worth the hassle. I hope you get some good responses, because I want to learn more, too.

I'm right there with you. I'd love to add a Universal segment to our next trip, but I feel like I'm wandering around in the wilderness. I don't find their website to be anywhere near as user friendly as Disney's and I just give up because it seems so expensive and not worth the hassle. I hope you get some good responses, because I want to learn more, too.

Yup! I've attempted to book a package more than once and get so overwhelmed. I have no clue what I have to add or not add. I wonder if their dining plan is worth it? I just feel like Disney is so much more user friendly.

The best part of universal is there is no planning needed! We went on our first trip last year and will go again this summer. I could t believe how easy it was.

Splurge on one of the three premium hotels (not nearly as expensive as Disney deluxe) and you get unlimited express
Pass. It is game changing. My son LOVED being able to go on a ride he loved over and over. At Disney if there was no more FP he was out of luck. We didn’t even feel the need to rope drop.

Another great thing is how close the parks are to hotels. You can walk or boat over quickly.

It appears it is cheaper to book hotel and tickets separately. And most don’t do a meal plan.

The ONLY thing I didn’t like is majority of rides are 3D type so if you have motion issues may not love it (think star tours). But for my 11 year old he was in HEAVEN. I would just occasionally sit stuff out if I needed a break.

I am a huge Disney fan and expert - including a Easter week trip. But after how relaxing universal was I am fine not returning to Disney for a while.

Try it at least once and go with an open mind.

The best part of universal is there is no planning needed! We went on our first trip last year and will go again this summer. I could t believe how easy it was.

Splurge on one of the three premium hotels (not nearly as expensive as Disney deluxe) and you get unlimited express
Pass. It is game changing. My son LOVED being able to go on a ride he loved over and over. At Disney if there was no more FP he was out of luck. We didn’t even feel the need to rope drop.

Another great thing is how close the parks are to hotels. You can walk or boat over quickly.

It appears it is cheaper to book hotel and tickets separately. And most don’t do a meal plan.

The ONLY thing I didn’t like is majority of rides are 3D type so if you have motion issues may not love it (think star tours). But for my 11 year old he was in HEAVEN. I would just occasionally sit stuff out if I needed a break.

I am a huge Disney fan and expert - including a Easter week trip. But after how relaxing universal was I am fine not returning to Disney for a while.

Try it at least once and go with an open mind.

Thank you for the help! Should I book through universal for the hotel? And where to get tickets if not doing so together? Their dining plan is high, in comparison to Disney. Especially when Disney offers Free Dining. Did you do Volcano Bay? Is that worth it if you did? How many days do you think you need for the 2 Universal Parks? Sorry for all the questions!!

We booked directly with hotel. I found the universal stickies great. We stayed royal pacific and loved it.

We bought tickets on main website but I’ve heard undercover tourist is good too. We went in November and were worried it would be too cold so we skipped volcano bay and just did two park,park hopper tickets (trust me get park hopper). This year we are going for 5 days in -gulp- July so plan to try VB!

We did three nights, two days as we weren’t sure what to expect. It was enough to see the highlights. We are looking forward to 5 days to try VB and pool time. You can pool hop too between hotels if you want.

The only thing I didn’t think they do well is breakfast. We love the POFQ food court and there isn’t anything like that unless you do cabana bay which has no express pass. But maybe your family is more willing to do breakfast in room than we are.

I'm a Pop Century gal, so the thought of the onsite hotel prices just to get unlimited express pass seems outrageous. Also, there is only two in my family, myself and DD12. Do you still think it makes sense to splurge for onsite with express pass for only two people?

I'm a Pop Century gal, so the thought of the onsite hotel prices just to get unlimited express pass seems outrageous. Also, there is only two in my family, myself and DD12. Do you still think it makes sense to splurge for onsite with express pass for only two people?

Not always necessary. When are you going? Universal has a lot of single rider lines also but you and DD may not want to be split up.

Late May, early June. Tentative dates are May 27 - June 8.
Are you planning only universal or split trip with other parks? If only couple days at Universal May be worth the splurge deluxe onsite as you won’t have to worry about lines really at all. You get the EP for check in and check out day, so even one night gets 2 days of ep. if you are planning several days consider an annual pass - lots of levels and some come with food discounts. We got the one with free parking, highest discount and after 4 pm express pass. Allows us to stay off site, not have to pay to park and still not have to wait ina line lol!

While Express Pass is very nice, the deluxe resorts can be expensive for short trips. Like Monykalyn said, you would only need one night to get 2 days of Express. All the Universal resorts have early entry for one of the Harry Potter areas. It is possible to buy an express pass while there if you decide you need it. Or, if you have a good rate at Pop, stay there and shuttle over to Universal, perhaps that would make buying the express pass more affordable.

Book direct with hotel is easier and as the hotels no longer “stack” discounts on sights like Orbitz, rate s usually better direct. Consider getting an annual pass to get hotel discount (can keep an eye on rates).often four nights or more gets a “Stay more, Save more” discount.
We’ve gotten tickets from Undercover tourist before, including using those tickets to upgrade to AP. Hint- if you upgrade to AP and pay with American Express there is an exclusive lounge for AP. No need to buy way in advance either, if buying from universal direct can literally buy online as heading over (cheaper to buy multi day online) and get the tickets from will call kiosks at park.
You can buy the quick service plan right at cashier if desired as paying for meal. Sometimes you can save a couple bucks,. We did that a couple times but decided not worth the hassle lol.

If you stay deluxe you will have a room key printed (hard plastic card) with you picture on it- works as your unlimited EP. You will have a separate ticket. We have lanyards to hold our passes as it’s a real pain to haul the pass out for every ep line.

Are you planning only universal or split trip with other parks? If only couple days at Universal May be worth the splurge deluxe onsite as you won’t have to worry about lines really at all. You get the EP for check in and check out day, so even one night gets 2 days of ep. if you are planning several days consider an annual pass - lots of levels and some come with food discounts. We got the one with free parking, highest discount and after 4 pm express pass. Allows us to stay off site, not have to pay to park and still not have to wait ina line lol!
Currently, I just have a Disney only trip planned, but I'm always tempted to add a day or two to accommodate Universal. I didn't realize a one night stay would get two days of EP. That helps the equation a little.

While Express Pass is very nice, the deluxe resorts can be expensive for short trips. Like Monykalyn said, you would only need one night to get 2 days of Express. All the Universal resorts have early entry for one of the Harry Potter areas. It is possible to buy an express pass while there if you decide you need it. Or, if you have a good rate at Pop, stay there and shuttle over to Universal, perhaps that would make buying the express pass more affordable.
Thanks. I was kind of thinking that a shuttle over for one day might be a nice introduction for us. I can check with DD13 and see if she is okay with single rider lines, too, and maybe skip the EP altogether. Maybe if we took a Wednesday to go over to Universal to get lower crowds.

I would definitely recommend at least 2 days. The ticket deals are usually better the longer the stay. Right now a 1 day park to park is $169. They are having a special buy 2 day park to park get 2 days free for $ 275. You can add Volcano Bay for $55 more to make it 3 parks access.

You really need park to park access. The Hogwarts Express ride is different each way. The parks are next to each other so it’s like a 15 min walk between them. You can spend a whole day just in the Harry Potter sections.

Don’t worry about the dining plan. There are some really nice places in City Walk that you can eat at. Cow fish is excellent. Each of the Harry Potter section has a cool quick service restaurant.

My UO vacations are solo ones

I stay onsite at one of the deluxe hotels

Well worth the costs for me

Much less for ride waits and doing repeat rides in the express lines

Stay one night and do two park days

Check out the uo website to see the layout of the two parks
You can map out where rides and shows are located besides the restrooms and first aide in the parks

It won’t be overwhelming your first time in the parks then

Ask yourself this question - I am fine with Pop Century, but if Disney offered unlimited FastPass if I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, would I upgrade?

Only you can answer that question.

So, imagine having unlimited Fast Pass that you didn't have to reserve 30-60 days out, along with no ADRs needed because your favorite dining locations had availability. How much planning would you do for a Disney vacation?

Look at maps, review menus, show up and have a great time. If you love a ride, go on it again, and again, and again. If you don't, move on. Spend time on shows and shopping and relaxing at nearby hotel pools (pool hopping allowed).

Also imagine the entrance to your favorite 2 Disney Parks only a few hundred yards apart.

That is why many WDW fans find Uni confusing, because you are looking for something that isn't there...but the water is warm, so jump on in.

What does it all mean...stay onsite, get unlimited express pass, go to your favorite dining (table or counter), swim at the beautiful hotel pools, enjoy yourself to no end while also relaxing. And prepare for your next vacation to be a Universal vacation with WDW sprinkled in.

Have a great time!

Ask yourself this question - I am fine with Pop Century, but if Disney offered unlimited FastPass if I stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, would I upgrade?

Only you can answer that question.

So, imagine having unlimited Fast Pass that you didn't have to reserve 30-60 days out, along with no ADRs needed because your favorite dining locations had availability. How much planning would you do for a Disney vacation?

Look at maps, review menus, show up and have a great time. If you love a ride, go on it again, and again, and again. If you don't, move on. Spend time on shows and shopping and relaxing at nearby hotel pools (pool hopping allowed).

Also imagine the entrance to your favorite 2 Disney Parks only a few hundred yards apart.

That is why many WDW fans find Uni confusing, because you are looking for something that isn't there...but the water is warm, so jump on in.

What does it all mean...stay onsite, get unlimited express pass, go to your favorite dining (table or counter), swim at the beautiful hotel pools, enjoy yourself to no end while also relaxing. And prepare for your next vacation to be a Universal vacation with WDW sprinkled in.

Have a great time!
Wow! You made some really great points. I may need to shorten up the Disney portion and eek out another $1500 for the budget to make this happen. You make it sound really worth it, though! Thanks!

All great info above ::yes::

Do you still think it makes sense to splurge for onsite with express pass for only two people?

Absolutely.......my thought is what ever makes a vacation more relaxing and fun is worth it....I think people who do Disney all the time are so used to the hyper planning involved. Then when faced with the simplicity of setting up a vacation at Universal they think they are not doing something right.......not so, it’s really easy.

1. Universal posts deals on their web site at various times of the year for tickets ie..buy two days get two days free.

2. Pick the Resort that fits your pocket book.....lock in your days and if the price drops you can call back and get the better price.....If you change the dates though you would be required to rebook your stay at that present rate, but then you could watch again for price drops and adjust accordingly.

I never book a package I always book hotel separately....I ‘am a Annual Passholder at Universal....the Annual Passes at Universal are much more affordable then Disney and there is a range to fit everyone’s budget. As noted above with the two upper range passes there are food and merchandise discounts as well as parking and Express usage after 4 pm on the premium pass.

3. The Unlimited Express Pass is a perk of staying at PBH, HRH and RPR worth every penny.

4. There are two Express Passes 1. Express Pass (allows you one express ride per ride)and 2. Unlimited Express Pass (allows you Unlimited Express rides per ride)......both can be purchased at parks if you want. Express Pass prices can fluctuate according to day of week and peak times.....Unlimited is more expensive then the regular Express....If you cost out purchasing your hotel and a Unlimited Express Pass separately you will see the great savings of staying at Deluxe Resort where Unlimited Express is included.

5. I never buy the food plan as it not something I’am interested in.

6. The restaurants at USO, IOA and CityWalk are very good and reasonable...there are lots of options to choose from as as noted above. You can go to the Universal website and look at all the menus and find a restaurant that has what you want. If you want to make reservations at table service restaurants that take them you can do this 30 days out if you want. Unless it’s a busy time usually not necessary. You do get priority seating if you are staying onsite at the restaurants.

CityWalk restaurants can be very busy and hard to get into at park closing during events and busy season.

Go enjoy yourself and have a great time pixiedust:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter