"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

You know I feel your pain... :thumbsup2

I thought of you as I was writing that bit!

That's fantastic! I'm glad everyone was impressed by it!

Me too!! I know that Soarin' isn't the most amazing ride at WDW by far, but when you've never ridden anything more inventive than a ferris wheel it's pretty impressive! :) I'm not sure what they were expecting Disney to be, but it wasn't that.

Piece of cake...

EPCOT - BW - BC/YC - Swolphin - DHS - Swolphin - BC/YC - BW - EPCOT

Wow. So easy. Thank you!!

:confused: Have they ever ridden in a car on the highway???

Really though.

That's the best kind of meltdown... the kind when you're not even in the park when it happens.

Agreed! When N's family goes at it, I'd rather not be in the same state.

Ok, the minotaur comment is funny, but that's disappointing that this is what you get from a preferred room. I thought they were supposed to be closer with easier access... not a pain in the rear to get to.

Right!?? In all seriousness, once you figured out how to get from the ground up to our room and then back down to the ground, the rest of it was quite easy, and it actually was pretty close to the main building and transportation. But that room location in the building itself was a real doozy. As I'll probably mention later, it actually caused our hair/makeup person to be late the next morning because she couldn't figure out how to get up to the room.

All things considered, not bad. There's so much construction going on that it is hard to avoid, but it sounds like minor inconveniences at the most in CSR.

Yeah, could have been much worse! We had a good experience there all things considered. Construction was just a minor detail, and we had no issues with noise in the mornings, evenings, etc.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Nothing like traumatizing the bride right before a wedding by telling horror stories about an ex.

No kidding!! It's amazing how many people did this...and how many people told you horror stories rather than good ones...People are strange.

Aww I'm so glad N's family loved Soarin (you made the right ride choice!!) and enjoyed their day overall!

I love your nails! Considering it's a spa at a Disney resort, you would think they'd be used to getting Mickey Ear nail design requests!

I just wanted to drop by and say HI!!! before I'm up in your neck of the woods!
Love the updates! I have caught up but not enough time to get all my comments in...but just wanted to mention that Epcot does have Dole Whip at the Pineapple Promenade right where you enter world Showcase from Future World (go right). I think they have it with rum too. :)
Be back soon!

Aww I'm so glad N's family loved Soarin (you made the right ride choice!!) and enjoyed their day overall!

I love your nails! Considering it's a spa at a Disney resort, you would think they'd be used to getting Mickey Ear nail design requests!

It was a relief that they enjoyed their time at Epcot! It felt like their experience of Disney was so rushed, which is totally was since they had less than a day. But they're talking about going back someday now, so I think it was a good start. :)

I just wanted to drop by and say HI!!! before I'm up in your neck of the woods!
Love the updates! I have caught up but not enough time to get all my comments in...but just wanted to mention that Epcot does have Dole Whip at the Pineapple Promenade right where you enter world Showcase from Future World (go right). I think they have it with rum too. :)
Be back soon!

Hi Su-Lynn! Thanks for dropping in before your trip! I hope you have awesome weather and a wonderful time! I had thought the same thing about dole whip and being able to get it with or without rum, and I told Nathan to ask someone, but the CMs there told him it was only during the festivals, and that were there just a couple weeks before Food and Wine. :(

Meghan!!! OMG I feel horrible, I've been reading along I swear! But I always seem to read late at night when I'm too tired to comment, so I say I'll come back, and then I don't :rolleyes1 But I've been enjoying as I read and NOW I'm commenting

Everyone felt the need to travel in groups of 1-3 people, never keeping up with the rest of the group. I'd look behind me to see if we were still together, and I'd have already lost two groups of two who were straggling behind. Much more challenging than touring with just N, or with just my mom!
I LOVE the idea of going to Disney with friends/family who have never been and showing them all that I love about it; but I also dread the idea lol. I fear that after a few hours I'd just be like, "OK guys, you're on your own, have fun!" I'm short on patience to begin with and when I'm in my Happy Place, I don't want anyone making me unhappy. Except my kids because it's just a given that'll happen once or twice :rolleyes:

Only after orders had been placed...it turns out that N's mom and one of his sisters were angry about the decision because they didn't see anything on the menu that interested them, so they decided to just walk out and go somewhere else. N's dad insisted on staying with the rest of the group to not be rude and because he was interested in the menu.
OMG :headache: Sounds like something my MIL would have done years ago before the dementia started. Again, something difficult to do with a large group; find food that pleases everyone........

So they did, and the two girls left. ...the girls left, and went to get lunch...at the quick service place in Japan instead. ...Um...ok...?? o_O :sad2: Those who stayed really enjoyed their meals here, though.
Uh-huh SMH :mad:

With the exception of the food snafu it sound like N did a great job touring with his family and lucked out with the aquarium and Club Cool! Maybe not TT so much lol.

.this was the first time I really noticed how getting married will make everyone you come in contact with feel that they have license to share their advice and their most personal anecdotes with you!!
lol, if you think you heard lots of personal stories when people heard you were pregnant, imagine what you hear when you're pregnant and people find THAT out :scared1:

nd here's a photo she took of the welcome bags I had put together and distributed that day for our gue
So cute!

OK now I promise I'm going to do a better job keeping up at commenting ::yes::

Meghan!!! OMG I feel horrible, I've been reading along I swear! But I always seem to read late at night when I'm too tired to comment, so I say I'll come back, and then I don't :rolleyes1 But I've been enjoying as I read and NOW I'm commenting

Oh no worries, I feel you! I'm having a hard time keeping up, too! But I've seen your likes and am glad to know you're still here! :hug:

I LOVE the idea of going to Disney with friends/family who have never been and showing them all that I love about it; but I also dread the idea lol. I fear that after a few hours I'd just be like, "OK guys, you're on your own, have fun!" I'm short on patience to begin with and when I'm in my Happy Place, I don't want anyone making me unhappy. Except my kids because it's just a given that'll happen once or twice :rolleyes:

I'm glad I only had a short time to do it, because I'm sure I would have lost it! Nathan did a good job keeping his cool with them though...he's had lots of practice! lol

I just don't like being slowed down :cool1:

With the exception of the food snafu it sound like N did a great job touring with his family and lucked out with the aquarium and Club Cool! Maybe not TT so much lol.

He mostly did a great job! I was very proud of my little Disney prodigy :laughing:

imagine what you hear when you're pregnant and people find THAT out :scared1:

Oh dear, I can only imagine... :scared:

that is, until I start stressing about wasting study time before my next midterm Monday.

:hug:

Let's not think about that.

Think about what? :confused3

:rolleyes1

I'd look behind me to see if we were still together, and I'd have already lost two groups of two who were straggling behind.

:sad2:

YMJRnJt.gif

:laughing: Appropriate.

After a quick bio break in the Land pavilion

Oh! You're studying biology. Is that the mid-term? Oops! Not supposed to think about that. Sorry!

we joined the FP+ line for Soarin'. This concerned me a bit because I hadn't really thought about how long it can take in the FP+ line here, compared to other rides.

How was it?

I asked to wait an extra cycle so we could sit in the middle section.

Smart move. :thumbsup2

So...was it a good choice?

Absolutely! :D N's family loved Soarin'! Even his mother, who deals with motion sickness slightly worse than mine and had to close her eyes once in a while, thought it was great.

Yay! That's great! :goodvibes

N and I laughed at them, and held hands, and told each other how it was worth all the trouble to watch them experiencing Disney now.

Awwwww.... :)

N's dad was going to be the hardest to impress, by far, so I was curious about his reaction. But apparently he just kept whispering to N's mom and to anyone else who would listen, "This is amazing!" :thumbsup2

:goodvibes

I hopped on, despite my distaste for boats.

Why? The motion?

You look... like you have distaste for your conveyance.

Unfortunately, that's when I realized that I had no concept of how the friendship boats worked, or where I was even going!

Whoops!

(Anyone who wants to explain Friendship boats to me gets my eternal gratitude.)

Sure! Here ya go:
(From a former skipper)

The propulsion system was originally a 4 cylinder diesel motor (up until about 2005 they were all 82hp 236 c.i.d. Perkins) Now they have switched to Yanmar 115hp turbo diesels due to emission requirements. The diesel motors drive a hydraulic pump that helps to turn the propeller shaft 360 degrees, as well as providing the torque to turn the propeller itself. This gives the propeller assembly a full 360 degrees of radial turning motion as well as providing the thrust. It is like an upside down oscillating table fan that can turn around and around limitlessly. Because there is no direct mechanical link between the drive shaft and propeller shaft, due to the hydraulic torque generator, the drive shaft will never bind up. The hydraulic steering is on a 1 to 1 ratio with the propeller assembly, therefore a knob is located on the steering wheel indicating direction. With the knob at 12 o'clock the vessel is straight ahead, with the knob at 6 o'clock the vessel is in full reverse. The throttle only controls engine speed, pulling the throttle all the way back only disengages the torque generator. There technically is no reverse gear.

There are two small thrusters located aft, one on each side. You can tell where they are located above the water line by noticing a short red stripe on the aluminum bumper alongside the vessel. These thrusters are a late addition. Due to the number of sudden torque generator failures, the pilot had no way of stopping a boat in full motion should the hydraulic system malfunction. After a few 'incidents', namely the Friendship #3 ramming the boardwalk in front of Spoodles and shattering it's tempered glass windshield all over the guests walking along the boardwalk, engineering decided to add an extra safety system to allow the pilot to stop the boat in case of engine failure. The thrusters are electric, run off their own batteries and have no directional capability. They will immediately apply full reverse thrust if the pilot pushes the big, red, candy like button forward of the original console and steering wheel. There are two small joysticks, and the thrusters can be used to apply forward or reverse thrust individually to guide the boat back into the dock if necessary. Turning the boat in this situation, you would just apply reverse thrust to one, and forward thrust to the other to turn in the desired direction.

The boats also have a second, identical motor in the engine room strictly for running an electrical generator for lights, sound and climate control. it is in not used at all for propulsion. Even the electric thrusters have their own batteries and are not hooked into the generator.

There. Did that help?
I'm so pleased I now have your eternal gratitude.

:lmao:

But the biggest hit was the giant aquarium at The Seas, which they spent lots of time in after the ride let out.

I should think so!
Just once, when I'm in it, I'd love to see people I know, looking in.

After the Seas, he took them to Club Cool! He and I had a plan. He would conspire with his father, who loves to tease people, to trick the rest of his family into trying Beverly. The funny thing is that they actually ended up getting each family member one by one, but the rest of them were never paying attention, so the surprise was never ruined!

:laughing:

Apparently a little family meltdown happened here, but I wasn't there, so I don't have many details.

Uh, oh. Gee, it's too bad you missed that. :rolleyes1

the girls left, and went to get lunch...at the quick service place in Japan instead. ...Um...ok...?? o_O :sad2:

<face palm>

...I was headed to Coronado Springs Resort!

Did not see that coming!

so we decided to give the Pepper Market a try.

How was that? I've heard mixed reviews.

My room itself was nice enough, but the location was a PAIN!! We had a preferred room for N and me, so we were in the Casitas section, but our room was on the top floor of our building, which could only be accessed by one certain elevator that was near impossible to find, or by climbing the stairs of the adjacent building and walking across a pathway to our building.

What? Sounds like poor design.

I had an appointment that afternoon at the Dolphin for a manicure at the Mandara Spa, and my mom offered to tag along for moral support. :)

Nice!

Looks very inviting.

People were freaking out asking me where I got them, because not long before Disney had started producing rose gold ears and had sold out of them completely. People would walk by me on the street and whisper about me to their friends, she HAS them!! I even stopped wearing them part way through the trip because the attention was getting to me!

Really! I had no idea.

I really noticed how getting married will make everyone you come in contact with feel that they have license to share their advice and their most personal anecdotes with you!! (This happened A LOT.)

Weird. Kinda like people who assume they can feel a pregnant woman's tummy.

Love the shirts! :)

Hey there, @pkondz! I was just thinking of you today because Nathan was talking about his upcoming trip near to your neck of the woods. He's got work at a comic convention in Winnipeg next weekend. I, sadly, won't be making the trip due to the small matter of school. Alas, sometimes you gotta' make the hard choices. :( But he's looking forward to it, I think. :)

Oh! You're studying biology. Is that the mid-term? Oops! Not supposed to think about that. Sorry!

The midterm...blech...I just got back from a three-hour tutorial, where the TA explained 6-hours worth of lecture material... The course is mostly bio with a bit of chemistry and physics thrown in, all in an effort to explain the science of hearing, or "audition." Our professor's first language is not English. 'Nuff said. The TA, who speaks English quite fluently, basically teaches the course. I learn about 10% material in lectures, and 90% in tutorials with the TA. My studying should be consisting of learning things like:

This:
gYUFVAh.png

And this:
M133Zje.png

...but it's mostly just me watching youtube videos of hair cells dancing to 1950's tunes and such:

How was it?

Not too bad. We waited about 15 minutes in the standby line, plus another 5 or so to sit in the middle section. I'm glad we did, too, because I found out later in the trip that the side sections—along with having a drunken view—aggravate my motion sickness. I wouldn't want Nathan's mom's first ride to make her sick.

Why? The motion?

Yep! I like the idea of boats. I just get seasick if I jump in a puddle too deep. But I manage on something as short as this ride, or the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge, etc.

Sure! Here ya go:
(From a former skipper)

The propulsion system was originally a 4 cylinder diesel motor (up until about 2005 they were all 82hp 236 c.i.d. Perkins) Now they have switched to Yanmar 115hp turbo diesels due to emission requirements. The diesel motors drive a hydraulic pump that helps to turn the propeller shaft 360 degrees, as well as providing the torque to turn the propeller itself. This gives the propeller assembly a full 360 degrees of radial turning motion as well as providing the thrust. It is like an upside down oscillating table fan that can turn around and around limitlessly. Because there is no direct mechanical link between the drive shaft and propeller shaft, due to the hydraulic torque generator, the drive shaft will never bind up. The hydraulic steering is on a 1 to 1 ratio with the propeller assembly, therefore a knob is located on the steering wheel indicating direction. With the knob at 12 o'clock the vessel is straight ahead, with the knob at 6 o'clock the vessel is in full reverse. The throttle only controls engine speed, pulling the throttle all the way back only disengages the torque generator. There technically is no reverse gear.

There are two small thrusters located aft, one on each side. You can tell where they are located above the water line by noticing a short red stripe on the aluminum bumper alongside the vessel. These thrusters are a late addition. Due to the number of sudden torque generator failures, the pilot had no way of stopping a boat in full motion should the hydraulic system malfunction. After a few 'incidents', namely the Friendship #3 ramming the boardwalk in front of Spoodles and shattering it's tempered glass windshield all over the guests walking along the boardwalk, engineering decided to add an extra safety system to allow the pilot to stop the boat in case of engine failure. The thrusters are electric, run off their own batteries and have no directional capability. They will immediately apply full reverse thrust if the pilot pushes the big, red, candy like button forward of the original console and steering wheel. There are two small joysticks, and the thrusters can be used to apply forward or reverse thrust individually to guide the boat back into the dock if necessary. Turning the boat in this situation, you would just apply reverse thrust to one, and forward thrust to the other to turn in the desired direction.

The boats also have a second, identical motor in the engine room strictly for running an electrical generator for lights, sound and climate control. it is in not used at all for propulsion. Even the electric thrusters have their own batteries and are not hooked into the generator.

There. Did that help?
I'm so pleased I now have your eternal gratitude.

Oh..um...wow...ok, I guess I need to do a little work on my specificity in situations like this.

Fun lesson, though! I feel smarter! Almost makes up for how dumb my schoolwork makes me feel!

I should think so!
Just once, when I'm in it, I'd love to see people I know, looking in.

:rotfl:
Again with the specificity...oh dear.

How was that? I've heard mixed reviews.

It was pretty good! We had fairly good experience the 2-3 times we ate here. Though there was a time that I got a rice bowl type dish and was told it wouldn't be spicy...DEFINITELY was. I mean, I know I'm a bit of a wimp, but Nathan was shocked when he tasted it at how spicy it was when I was told it wouldn't be at all. Otherwise we liked it. They've gotten rid of whatever weird ordering system they seemed to have in past, and now it seems to function like a typical quick service restaurant. Food quality and variety was decent and we had great CMs there. Not my favourite QS place, but I'd go back if I stayed here again.

Really! I had no idea.

Yep! One man embarrassedly struck up a conversation with me about them because his wife had been looking for them everywhere and he just wanted to find them so she would give it a rest. He was pretty disappointed when I told him I ordered them online. He'd been in every store with ears in every park and he kind of had a dead-in-the-eyes look about him at that point. :laughing:

a pack of adult Disney-virgins.

But apparently he just kept whispering to N's mom and to anyone else who would listen, "This is amazing!" :thumbsup2

:dancer:

N took his family on Nemo, and they all enjoyed it to varying degrees. They thought it was cute. But the biggest hit was the giant aquarium at The Seas, which they spent lots of time in after the ride let out.

I prefer that part to the ride as well. Ride= cute; aquariums= amazing!

Fortunately, they all got put into cars in groups of two, so nobody was even in a ride vehicle by themself. :thumbsup2

:banana:

So they did, and the two girls left. ...the girls left, and went to get lunch...at the quick service place in Japan instead. ...Um...ok...?? o_O :sad2: Those who stayed really enjoyed their meals here, though.

:confused3So don't get this!

despite the fact that as they were beginning the ride N's mother leaned over to him and whispered, "Are they about to tell us we came from monkeys??" :rolleyes2

LOL! Yeah, just sit tight.

I also got three collector's pins from Disney specific to the construction as a consolation prize!!

Well that was nice of them.

Here's one of the relaxation areas where my mom sat and tried not to fall asleep while I had my service:
rDsk982.jpg

Just gorgeous! I really love the look of that place!

rose gold that had been popular (no duh!) lately,

No duh!! (Guess what color I have on right now?!)

She told me aaalllll about her ex-husband and what a terrible dude he was,

Ok that IS just weird. Kinda a fine line there, and seems like it was a bit crossed.

Hey there, @pkondz! I was just thinking of you today because Nathan was talking about his upcoming trip near to your neck of the woods. He's got work at a comic convention in Winnipeg next weekend. I, sadly, won't be making the trip due to the small matter of school. Alas, sometimes you gotta' make the hard choices. :( But he's looking forward to it, I think. :)

Too bad you can't come too. :(
Maybe I'll see him there. Not sure if I'm going again this year or not, but thinking of it.

The midterm...blech...I just got back from a three-hour tutorial, where the TA explained 6-hours worth of lecture material... The course is mostly bio with a bit of chemistry and physics thrown in, all in an effort to explain the science of hearing, or "audition." Our professor's first language is not English. 'Nuff said. The TA, who speaks English quite fluently, basically teaches the course. I learn about 10% material in lectures, and 90% in tutorials with the TA.

Interesting course! I hate when a prof isn't good, though. Makes alllll the difference.

Obviously an oak tree.

...but it's mostly just me watching youtube videos of hair cells dancing to 1950's tunes and such:

Is it weird that I really enjoyed that? :laughing:

Not too bad. We waited about 15 minutes in the standby line, plus another 5 or so to sit in the middle section.

That's not bad at all. :)

I'm glad we did, too, because I found out later in the trip that the side sections—along with having a drunken view—aggravate my motion sickness. I wouldn't want Nathan's mom's first ride to make her sick.

Good move! And yes. "drunken view" is an apt description.

Oh..um...wow...ok, I guess I need to do a little work on my specificity in situations like this.

Fun lesson, though! I feel smarter!

You mean you actually read all that???? :lmao: :faint:

Almost makes up for how dumb my schoolwork makes me feel!

You're not dumb, you is special.

:rotfl:
Again with the specificity...oh dear.

Actually, no. I was being specific. I agree that viewing the aquarium is much more interesting than the ride itself. You do know that I've gone scuba diving in it a couple times, right? The highlight of that is interacting with Disney guests in the observation areas and the Coral Reef restaurant.

It was pretty good! We had fairly good experience the 2-3 times we ate here. Though there was a time that I got a rice bowl type dish and was told it wouldn't be spicy...DEFINITELY was. I mean, I know I'm a bit of a wimp, but Nathan was shocked when he tasted it at how spicy it was when I was told it wouldn't be at all. Otherwise we liked it. They've gotten rid of whatever weird ordering system they seemed to have in past, and now it seems to function like a typical quick service restaurant. Food quality and variety was decent and we had great CMs there. Not my favourite QS place, but I'd go back if I stayed here again.

Okay, good to know. It was one reason I didn't want to stay there in the past.

He'd been in every store with ears in every park and he kind of had a dead-in-the-eyes look about him at that point. :laughing:

That's not bad at all. :)

And by 15 minutes in the standby line, I meant 15 minutes in the FP line...ya know, seeing as we had a FP. But yes, still not too bad at all.

You mean you actually read all that???? :lmao: :faint:

I'm taking ANY excuse to procrastinate at this point. Seriously. Anything will do.

Actually, no. I was being specific. I agree that viewing the aquarium is much more interesting than the ride itself. You do know that I've gone scuba diving in it a couple times, right? The highlight of that is interacting with Disney guests in the observation areas and the Coral Reef restaurant.

Yes, right! Now that you mention that, I do recall reading of your scuba adventures somewhere. I think Nathan would enjoy getting his scuba certification. And he'd get a kick out of diving in the tank there! i always love seeing people in the tank the times we've eaten at Coral Reef.

If you do end up getting to the Con and you see a dirty-lookin' paint covered guy who's spray painting live, make sure to say hello and introduce yourself. He totally won't know who you are because he doesn't remember a thing I tell him about the Dis, but he might remember to tell me about it. :P

And by 15 minutes in the standby line, I meant 15 minutes in the FP line...ya know, seeing as we had a FP. But yes, still not too bad at all.

Yes, I remembered you said you were in the FP line. I totally missed (or assumed you meant FP) the word standby.

I'm taking ANY excuse to procrastinate at this point. Seriously. Anything will do.

Shall we keep commenting back and forth? I'm laid up in bed, lady. I got allllll day.

Yes, right! Now that you mention that, I do recall reading of your scuba adventures somewhere. I think Nathan would enjoy getting his scuba certification. And he'd get a kick out of diving in the tank there! i always love seeing people in the tank the times we've eaten at Coral Reef.

It was so much fun being in there!
But (for me, not everyone) the best part was interacting with the guests... especially the little kids. I'd play "patty cake" with them through the glass.
God I want to do that again.

If you do end up getting to the Con and you see a dirty-lookin' paint covered guy who's spray painting live, make sure to say hello and introduce yourself. He totally won't know who you are because he doesn't remember a thing I tell him about the Dis, but he might remember to tell me about it. :P

Good to know! Gives me more of an incentive to go now.
Hmmm... but don't tell him. If (Big "IF") I go, I'll look for him and make sure I ask for his name (unless he posts that?) Once I'm sure it's him, I'll just casually say "So how's Meghan these days?"

Shall we keep commenting back and forth? I'm laid up in bed, lady. I got allllll day.

e64lfuZ.gif

!!!!!

...No, I should probably get some work done...we have a pass mark of 70%, and I can't BS my way to that with this material...back to the books, I guess.

CmpCADO.gif

It was so much fun being in there!
But (for me, not everyone) the best part was interacting with the guests... especially the little kids. I'd play "patty cake" with them through the glass.
God I want to do that again.

That sounds like soo much fun! How adorable!

Good to know! Gives me more of an incentive to go now.
Hmmm... but don't tell him. If (Big "IF") I go, I'll look for him and make sure I ask for his name (unless he posts that?) Once I'm sure it's him, I'll just casually say "So how's Meghan these days?"

My lips are sealed, just in case you make it there! That would be hilarious, since Manitoba is one of the last places he'd expect to meet one of my friends. Once in a while it happens around the Maritimes, but that's about it. He usually doesn't have anything posted with his name. Sometimes he has business cards out, but I have a feeling he may be out at the moment and waiting for more. I can't seem to find a picture of his indoor setup right now, but it looks mostly like this, but without the tent and all the natural light:
o2wK0H2.jpg

You would be looking for this lovable (paint-overspray-covered, unshaven, scary-looking) goon:
N9QhRPM.jpg

MujS8xj.jpg

...No, I should probably get some work done...we have a pass mark of 70%, and I can't BS my way to that with this material...back to the books, I guess.

CmpCADO.gif

Awww... sucks.
But ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

My lips are sealed, just in case you make it there! That would be hilarious, since Manitoba is one of the last places he'd expect to meet one of my friends. Once in a while it happens around the Maritimes, but that's about it. He usually doesn't have anything posted with his name. Sometimes he has business cards out, but I have a feeling he may be out at the moment and waiting for more. I can't seem to find a picture of his indoor setup right now, but it looks mostly like this, but without the tent and all the natural light:

Okay! Got it!
Like I said, not even sure if I'm going. But if I do.... :)

You would be looking for this lovable (paint-overspray-covered, unshaven, scary-looking) goon:
N9QhRPM.jpg

Heh. Okay!

Also, I just noticed this on your TR thread too, about your unfortunate back injury. :( Sorry to hear! I hope you feel better very soon!

Thanks. Just need rest. And drugs that don't seem to really do much.

I prefer that part to the ride as well. Ride= cute; aquariums= amazing!

Agreed!

:confused3So don't get this!

I didn't either. I don't want to eat this Japanese food...so I'm gonna go outside and walk a few feet and eat this other lower quality Japanese food. And away from my family, because they dared to go somewhere with food I didn't like...until now.

Just gorgeous! I really love the look of that place!

It was lovely! They had a couple of different rooms decorated differently. It was very relaxing. And plenty of that fancy fruit-infused spa water, etc. :snooty:

Ok that IS just weird. Kinda a fine line there, and seems like it was a bit crossed.

People forget boundaries when it comes to weddings! It was strange. She was probably the worst...maybe. But it was like this with servers, other CMs, strangers you meet on a bus, etc. Half the time it was happy stories and well-wishes. The other half (or maybe more than half) it was horror stories and weird oversharing...

Basic Plan
Marathon Weekend Madness

Remember that time I said I'd be posting PTR-type updates for our upcoming winter trip on this thread? Well, we're nearing our FP+ windows (Oct. 28th & 31st), so I figured I'd better get on planning for and writing about this trip! If reading planning reports isn't your thing, feel free to skip the occasional post in green type.

WHEN:
Originally we'd planned to travel Dec. 29-Jan. 5, with my mom and grandmother joining us for Dec. 30-Jan. 5. As you may remember from my May TR, we sometimes cross the border and fly direct out of Maine into Orlando Sanford with Allegiant Air, and since we'll be close by after celebrating Christmas with family in New Brunswick, it seemed like the thing to do. But then I noticed that Allegiant also had a direct flight on Boxing Day and N was adamant that I book it. Twist my rubber arm. So we're flying in late on the 26th, spending a night in Sanford, and then arriving at Disney on the 27th. My mom and grandmother still join us on the 30th, and we'll still all fly home together Jan. 5.

WHERE:

Since my family is arriving later than us, N and I agreed on another split stay for this trip. Dec. 27-30 we'll be staying at Caribbean Beach Resort, which is new to N. I've been there once before. We're in a standard room, so I'm planning to call in and request one of the buildings that's a little less of a trek from the building with the grub... (Probably Jamaica 45...crossing my fingers on that one.) CBR is also massive and has some great paths/trails, so hopefully it'll give us incentive to do some jogging and stay in shape before the 5k at the end of our trip.
2UltDs0.gif

On Dec. 30, we all move to All Star Music to a family suite. I'm a little concerned about the fold-out beds since we're four adults, but I'm excited to give a suite a try for the first time. The suites also seem to be located in the Calypso and Jazz sections, which don't seem to be miles away from the main building. I'll be putting in a request for Calypso and crossing my fingers.

WHAT:
Our plans are still a little in flux, but we have an idea of which park we'll visit and what ADRs we've booked for most days. Here's the plan as it stands...

Dec. 27-29:
So far we've kept our plans loosey-goosey for these days. I doubt I'll manage to keep it that way, but I like the idea of having some flexibility here to do what we want. We're thinking we may go to Universal one of these days (possibly the 27th since I have no ADRs that day) and we've been considering getting APs to Universal since they're much cheaper than Disney's and it's very possible we may be back in Orlando for N's work before the year is out. We'll also probably hit DHS at some point in here since we don't have any plans there the rest of the trip. I also have a 9am breakfast at WCC and a 4:55pm dinner at Trail's End on the 28th, and I have an 8:25 breakfast at Kona and a 7:45pm dinner at 1900 Park Far (which I may cancel) for the 29th. I've been torn about booking Trail's End because of the location and how I've heard about people having long waits here, but it also has an awesome reputation for allergy-friendly dining, so I've got it booked for now.

Dec. 30:
Animal Kingdom
8:00am: Boma
My family arrives in the afternoon and will join us for...
6:50pm: Sanaa
We really enjoyed Sanaa on our Disneymoon (I'll get to that part eventually on here!) and I immediately thought of my mom. I sent her food pictures and she agreed she'd like to go in December.

Because, like, bread service though.
2nKlJIo.gif

Dec. 31:
I have nothing booked because we're all planning to go to Universal this day and get 1-day 2-park tickets. When we were there last, N got an itch to bring my mom back with us because she'll be able to be his ride buddy for some of the moderate-to-high intensity rides (like The Mummy, or possibly even Dragon Challenge) that I can't do. I'm planning to book a dinner reservation at Mythos when that availability opens up (usually a month or so in advance), and I'm also looking forward to eating in the Wizarding World again. Nom!

Jan. 1:
Animal Kingdom (second time for me and N, first for the other two)
8:30am: Boma (My mom booked this for us. I didn't disagree.)
Crossing my fingers for good luck with FP here since we won't be rushing in at rope drop. I'm hoping for FoP for Mom and N, and River Journey for me and Amma (my pet name for my grandmother.)
Originally N and I had planned on booking the Savour the Savannah tour for the four of us this evening as our Christmas gift to Mom and Amma, but when we called to book it wasn't showing any availability, even though the CM said he went in and checked and there should still have been at least 4 slots left on that tour (it should accept up to 12.) He said there were rumours that the tour may be changing, so if that were the case it might be blocked from being booked until that's decided. Or it could just be booked and we'd have to hope for a cancellation. Or his system was just not working. He told us to keep calling back, which we've been doing 1-2 times a week since with no luck yet. So our back-up plan if that doesn't work out is to take them somewhere else instead...
5:50pm: Jiko—if this is what we end up doing I won't be too disappointed because I've been wanting to check it out for a long time! N and I are very attached to AKL if you haven't noticed that by now. My folks love good food and good wine, so either option should be a great gift to them. :thumbsup2:drinking1

Jan. 2:
Magic Kingdom
8:00am: N and I go on the Marceline to the Magic Kingdom tour. We were torn between this and the Undiscovered Future World tour, but this one won by a slight margin.
6:00pm: 1900 Park Fare (I'll cancel this one if I keep the other one) This is another ADR I keep wanting to try—mostly for the character interactions—and never end up booking.
We've also currently got the Starlight Safari tour at AKL booked for this night, but I don't think we'll keep it. I just booked it since Savour the Savannah wasn't available during our trip, and this tour was all booked up on the 1st, so this seemed like the only night...but I'm not feelin' doing such a late tour at a remote resort when all of our mornings are early, etc. We'll see...

Jan. 3:
Epcot/Expo/Epcot
8:10am: Bon Voyage breakfast (finally fitting this one in!)
At some point we'll need to visit the runDisney Expo to pick up our race packets for the 5k the following day. Hours are 12-8 from what I can tell, so after chatting with @fallonkendra about it I'm thinking we'll probably go for just before when it opens.
4:20pm: Early dinner at Le Cellier. N requested this one since it's been one of his favourite meals the last few times we've been there. I also think he feels more at home being surrounded by Canadians. :rotfl:
At some point this day we're also trying for a Dismeet with the famous @fallonkendra and her soon-to-be husband, Lüke!! They will be at WDW for their wedding and honeymoon. (If you're not following her TR/PTR, you should! They do fun things and have cute cats and are planning a super-cool Disney wedding!). We've been hoping for a while for the chance to meet up. We're in the process of planning a possible FP+ overlap or something for this day. TBD.

Jan. 4:
Race/Magic Kingdom
Early o'clock: Marathon Weekend 5k. We've been slowly training for this since January. Disney is the only thing I could imagine motivating me to go outside and run. I really kind of hate to run. When I started training I was huffing and puffing after running 60 seconds in a row. Now I've got my 5k down to about 37 minutes. I'm no Speed Racer, but progress and fitness = awesome!
U3mQGUZ.gif

The window between racing and supper will be spent napping, guaranteed.
5:55pm: Skipper Canteen

Jan. 5: early a.m. flight home. I start classes again on the 8th.

Soo...that's it, folks! FP+ are coming up soon, so I need to get those sorted out. There are also a few things I'm considering changing...like making sure we have park ADRs for evenings I think the parks might hit first levels of closure due to holiday crowds, etc. We also have no plans to see any New Years fireworks, so if we decide that's a priority then I may need to book another ADR to make sure we can get into the park...or maybe we just won't...I don't know. None of us seemed to really be concerned about seeing a big nighttime show, even if it is the holidays... We're spending NYE at Universal anyway, so it would have to be the pre-NYE fireworks at MK on the 30th...gah. I don't know anything.
hZfIMqP.gif

I also haven't decided if I want to rent a car or not. Even driving to and from Sanford and having 1-2 trips to Universal and back, Uber and taxis would still work out to be a lot cheaper than a rental. But N and I have gotten used to the convenience of having a vehicle on our last two trips, so it seems hard to give that up when we know we're going to be doing a lot of driving around...I also have had a lot of bad motion sickness experiences in the back of taxis...but it's way more expensive and we're trying to keep the budget low for this trip...again: gah.

I'm also hoping I might catch @missjackiemcg, or @xlsm (who I just missed by a few days last spring!), or any other Dis-friends I may have forgotten about who will be visiting WDW during our stay! Hit me up if you'll be around and would like to say hi!!

Also, I need to plan at least one visit to Erin McKenna's NYC Bakery, because I'm still experiencing withdrawal after our August trip where I stuffed my face with cookies, cakes, and donuts what seemed like pretty much every day...

Up next: a return to your regularly-scheduled programming!

If reading planning reports isn't your thing, feel free to skip the occasional post in green type.

tbh.... they're not. But I did skim and a couple things...

we sometimes cross the border and fly direct out of Maine into Orlando Sanford with Allegiant Air

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with the exact same airline. I may sometime. How's flying into Sanford? I presume you rent a car? Or?

So we're flying in late on the 26th, spending a night in Sanford, and then arriving at Disney on the 27th.

Nice!

Also, I need to plan at least one visit to Erin McKenna's NYC Bakery, because I'm still experiencing withdrawal after our August trip where I stuffed my face with cookies, cakes, and donuts what seemed like pretty much every day...

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with the exact same airline. I may sometime. How's flying into Sanford? I presume you rent a car? Or?

I find Allegiant is pretty much the budget airline to end all budget airlines, but I've never flown any of the other smallish airlines like it that serve mostly holiday-type travel before, so I don't know how it compares in that regard. But it's definitely a little different than Air Canada/West Jet, which is what we usually fly. The planes we've been on have been small-ish, but not tin cans. And it may depend on the flight, but our experience is that they charge you for everything beyond a "personal item," including carry-on bags. On our last flight the flight attendant making the safety anouncements said something about how oxygen will flow from the mask, and seeing as it's Allegiant, they'll be charging for oxygen by the second, etc. :laughing: Otherwise, we've had good experiences. We've done the rental car thing (that's what we did last time) and also taken a taxi. I haven't decided yet whether we'll rent a car this time, or strictly use ubers/taxis. I've done the math, and it's cheaper not to rent a car for our whole stay. I guess it might be an option to rent just for our airport travel days and drop off at another location at Disney, but that seems like it would be a pain, and if we bother to rent a car then I want to have the benefits for our whole vacation. Tough call. Still deciding.

Fun fact though: last time we rented a car at Sanford—I think it was from Alamo? Not sure. It was included in a flight package we booked—we got in late that night, maybe 11pm, and even though we'd reserved an economy car in advance they didn't have anything smaller than a giant SUV or a pick-up left for us. It was absolutely this Seinfeld episode in real life:

Have you thought about Frontier? You can fly into MCO directly and use the ME. Also for my daughter and I, it came out about $100 cheaper than Allegiant for our December plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter