"I brushed my teeth, and I don't have cooties." An August DFTW and Disneymoon TR

As long as I was old enough to sing along with television ads, I've had a dream to visit somewhere very special. I'll give you a hint...

They come from a land of ice and snow,
Now belugas have a home in Arctic Cove!

...No? Okay, how about this one??

There's a place I know in Ontario,
Where the sea lions kiss, so the story goes!

...How about now?

...No?

Guys!! Everyone loves Marineland!!

:laughing: I knew exactly what you were talking about as soon as I read the first lines of the jingle. I too grew up/still see ads for Marineland frequently. I sometimes catch myself humming it. I've never been though despite visiting Niagara Falls several times.

My dad and uncle both worked at a shipyard. The noise at the workplace was so damaging that a class action suit was filed. When talking about it, my dad would ask "Any news about the hearing?" and my uncle would answer "What?" or "I haven't heard"

:sad2:

:laughing: gotta have a sense of humour.

Score! :thumbsup2 Awesome photos with the princesses, too :goodvibes

Thanks!! It was definitely worth trying once. Walking in to an empty Epcot is lovely. :lovestruc

Mine, too!!! I love Epcot in full bloom ;)

:lovestruc:lovestruc

O. M. G. I would have had this one all by myself :rotfl2:

It was a monster!! So delicious. We really had to put in some effort to finish it, even after each only eating half a lunch. But if I'd been by myself...definitely still would have taken a crack at it!

WORTH IT! What a gorgeous shot! :goodvibes

Thank you!! Epcot's so photogenic!

Yay! I hope you channeled me :laughing:

I did think of you when I was solo-ing it up! I was remembering your life lesson about knowing you haven't found the right person until you are more excited to do Disney with them than alone. :goodvibes

Most. Amazing. Ride. Photo. Ever.

I'm pretty proud of this one. :laughing:

What?! So jealous! But I'm glad you got to ride PotC at the last minute so your last experience of the trip wasn't a breakdown :laughing:

I know! The kids behind me were complaining about ending their night with a ride evac, and I couldn't manage to convince them that this was actually super cool.

Ugh, this is just the worst. I like it when I'm picked up before I see all the happy people getting into the bus lines :laughing: "Lucky" for me I have 6am flight home in May so I'll be picked up in plenty of time to avoid that :laughing:

Oh yeah, lucky you!! :laughing:

Oh my goodness Meghan, I didn’t know you had posted the rest of your trip. I enjoyed reading it this morning at the crack of dawn after losing an hour of sleep, lol!

I did a little bit of flash-posting there for a while! :laughing: Uggh...I'm still not quite adjusted from the time change. And I still have yet to figure out how to reset my car's clock. :confused3

We canceled our Akershus ppo this trip because of changes. I am glad you got a ppo GG for August, that breakfast is one of my favorites. I just reviewed our B&C lunch. I am glad you all liked yours. All your restaurant reviews were great.

I'm really looking forward to it! I've steered clear in past because I'm super sensitive to motion sickness and have gotten a little swimmy in rotating restaurants in past, but I've heard such great things that I thought it would be fun to try at least once.

Your last night looks like you had a great time in MK, we could have hung out. We were there that evening as well.

I should have thought to send you a message! But you're right, it was a great time anyway!

I remember that day was crazy with ride breakdowns and crazy long FP lines! Cool and scary for you with the ride evacuation on Splash.

It was a wild day, you're right.

Andi and I had to get evacuated from Voyage under the sea a few years ago. We literally sat in front of Ursula in our clamshell for 15 minutes until a lady behind us started screaming and having a panic attack so they came around and evacuated everyone. I was worried about the poor lady, she was really panicking!

Wow! Sounds a little scary! I get a bit claustrophobic, so I can understand how this could definitely set someone off if they were really sensitive.

I love your Mary Poppins bag, so cute! Did you see the cute MP dress in Cherry lane? I thought it was so pretty.

Thanks! It was a great purchase! And I did see the dress, and a few accessories there. Thought they were adorable! :goodvibes

They come from a land of ice and snow,
Now belugas have a home in Arctic Cove!

...No? Okay, how about this one??

There's a place I know in Ontario,
Where the sea lions kiss, so the story goes!

...How about now?

...No?

Guys!! Everyone loves Marineland!!

Okay, I'm sure not everyone loves Marineland. (I don't know much about their practices, either, and I'm scared to do too much research for fear of my childhood dreams being crushed. I know not every zoo on the street cares as much for conservation as Disney seems to.) But all I know is that their marketing was pretty stellar, their jingles catchy, and they had me hooked by the age of five! So I FINALLY get to go to Marineland.

BrXDwu7.gif

Alright...now who's never heard of this place before? *all TR readers raise hands*. I guess my Canada is showing... :blush:

We'll also only be an hour or so away from African Lion Safari, but I suspect most of you don't know what that is either. :laughing:

Alright, that's all the good news I have for now. Back to the books! Replies to come soon...

Ahh! I have to say I love that "your Canada is showing" best new expression ever!! I am in Ontario, so yes, definitely know the jingle. Having been a few times, will just caution you to please, PLEASE manage your expectations!! I get needing to go due to advertising (basically the reason we went to 90% off the offsite US restaurants we did in Florida) but be warned that it is pretty sad and I haven't been in 10 years and don't think it has gotten better with age...

African Lion Safari, on the other hand, is actually pretty amazing! I would take it over Marineland hands-down any day of the week. If you can fit it in, definitely worth a visit! Also, unlike AK, you can usually see the lions :)

Yay! I started planning a memorial day weekend trip... and then remembered my cousin gets married that saturday.

I've been looking at going to Niagara falls! We stayed on the Canadian side when I was 10 and I remember having a great time... zack's never been . I don't know Marineland though :P

Casey would so totally want both of these!

Bless Walmart, always keepin' it classy! :laughing:

Isn't this great! We get so many last minute ADR's, I think they may actually be more plentiful then availability at 180 day :-)

Really though! When everyone else is cancelling all those ADRs at the last minute, it's the perfect time to swoop in.

Glad you all were able to enjoy it. We've only done it once and like you I was less than impressed with the food. GG is definitely the better food option!

I'm definitely glad I tried it once, but I don't think I'd go back unless I have princess-obsessed kids to bring someday. Looking forward to GG for sure! I've heard great things!

Good choice on sharing. Their sundaes are definitely ginormous!!!! We've never done the No Way Jose (I have a peanut allergy) but we've really enjoyed all the others. Jason and casey are huge PB fans so I'm hopeful they try this one day as I hear so many good things about it. Just no kissing me afterwards :P

They're massive!! I highly recommend the No Way Jose for your fam (obviously NOT for you!!) I'm a big PB fan, and it doesn't disappoint. I've only ever had the dairy free version, but the soy-based ice cream they use is really similar to real ice cream in both taste and texture, and I'm the sure the regular one is even better.

We love GFC breakfast so glad to hear you both enjoyed. Though definitely odd on your server.

The quality of the food was great. The quality of the service...was just strange. I would definitely go back though.

I can't believe the line for a photopass picture is so long! That seems crazy.

It's an awesome picture, but wild how popular it's become!

A. Great you got one last ride (its' my favorite too) but B. So totally jealous you got to be evacuated. It's on my bucket list too. Though that is crazy that people weren't listening to instructions. I get being panicked by it but I can guarantee you are making more panic by not listening.

It was cool to be able to finally see what the whole process is like! And I agree! It's hard to see clearly when you're in panic mode, but safety in those situations is the most important thing.

What a wonderful solo night! So happy you to to experience so much magic.

It was a memorable night!

I took one quite similar to this too! Love that view!

Epcot is so photogenic :lovestruc

She's the best Ariel I've seen in a long time!

She was lovely! Both in looks, and personality. Very "bubbly" :thumbsup2

:rotfl:

I love when sparkling is offered! Totally prefer it.

I drink a lot of club soda with lemon at home. (Prefer to save my calories for things I can actually eat! :laughing:) So sparkling water was a lovely choice.

:sad1: So sad it's gone.

::yes:: :sad1:

Omg so much exciting news! If only you were making your first pilgrimage at end of May because I'd be working then but I understand the need for F&G. Best of luck on your test tomorrow! :thumbsup2

I'm just rolling in the exciting news these day! (Which is great because it's helping me find a reason to push through school, which is mostly made up of just stressful and lousy news. :laughing:) I definitely do hope to get to the west coast someday, but sadly, it won't be this summer.

And thanks! The test went well! I had a bit of time to relax yesterday, and now I'm on to paper writing and more studying, etc. All about balance. :)

Sorry, what?

:laughing:

Actually...
I was at my folks' place a couple days ago. They're both in their mid 80s. I was there with one of my DDs who said something to my mom that she didn't catch.
My mom shook her head and said "I'm sorry. I don't hear as well as I use to."
My dad pipes up and says "She's getting hard of hearing."

I started to laugh. I said. "You know what the very first thing you said to me when we got here tonight was? It was "What?""

My dad prides himself on having really good hearing... except he really, really doesn't. Worked with power saws (handheld and extremely loud bench saws) all his life.

Yeah, this doesn't sound surprising at all! Textbook case of noise-induced hearing loss. You see this a lot with people who've worked in those kinds of noisy work environments, or who've worked security for places like concerts or clubs. They should all be trained and encouraged to use hearing protection, but more often than not that doesn't happen. It's also becoming more of a concern for my generation because we all listen to loud music through earbud headphones all the time!

Good luck!

Thanks! It went well. Now I'm on to the next thing, writing a few papers...but obviously I'm not doing that at the moment since I'm here... :blush:

Such sacrifices you make! You're an angel!

Right?! Sometimes I even surprise myself with my generosity. The things you do for love.

Been there. Wrote a TR about that. ::yes::

I may have to look into that for some inspiration!

Heard of it?? I've been to it! It was on Kay's "must go" list when she was little. I took her when she was... I think it was 8 years old.
Somewhere I have a photo of her touching a Beluga.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, even just so I can put that little girl's dream to rest.

Very exciting, yay! More Disney. Ahh Marine Land, what?? I have never heard of it:tongue:. Is it like Sea World??

Very exciting, indeed! And yeah, it would be a similar concept to Sea World. Just think Sea World...but less. :laughing:

My dd wants to visit the African Lion Safari so bad. Every time we drive to my in laws she asks if we can stop.

I'm pretty interested in this, too! My mom went as a little excursion they offered on a work conference trip once, and she said it was pretty neat. Not the same level as something like Busch Gardens, but still definitely worth seeing.

My dad and uncle both worked at a shipyard. The noise at the workplace was so damaging that a class action suit was filed. When talking about it, my dad would ask "Any news about the hearing?" and my uncle would answer "What?" or "I haven't heard anything"

:sad2:

Wow!! Yes, it's a big problem! Noise-induced hearing loss is super common. I would definitely expect it somewhere like a shipyard, and they should have been having all their employees wear hearing protection. Sadly, that's not usually something that happens.

Those princess pictures are adorable, but Aurora looks a little crazy :bitelip: I tried quoting just the one picture, but I couldn't figure out how :sad2:

Thanks!! And yes, Aurora had the crazy eyes for sure! Not even just in the picture, but in person in her interaction with us, too! She was just a little too excited...

Wow! Gorgeous :love::love::love: Totally worth the wait :goodvibes

Thanks! Epcot is so beautiful in the spring, it makes me smile. :lovestruc

I LOVE that! D & B really needs to stop making such cute purses or we'll all be broke!

Agreed!! Stop tempting me!

No pictures of you on the horse? I was waiting...:sad1:

Sorry! We had to put our cameras and things in lockers, or at least secure them somewhere like pockets while we were riding. I probably could have asked a CM for a picture, but I didn't bother. But I'm a little disappointed not to have any photographic evidence too!

Silver lining! I have never been evacuated from a ride! Kind of cool!

Absolutely! It was neat to see how it was done. Even if it was a bit of a lengthy process.

Great shot. I've never seen that myself, but definitely on my bucket list.

Thanks! Yes, the kiss goodnight really had a nice magical sentimental feel to it. :)

That is exciting! Congrats!

Thanks!! I'm really looking forward to getting back so much sooner than expected. :cool1:

Hoping all went well with your test.

I'm excited to hear about your May plans and your visit to places on your childhood wishlist!

No, I haven't heard of Marineland or African Lion Safari (not to be confused with Lion Country Safari in Florida, I assume).

:fish::simba:

Thanks! My test ended up going very well.

I'm really excited to get into our May adventures, too! You're correct, African Lion Safari is different. It's in Ontario near Hamilton. Hoping to fit both those things in while we're in the area in May!

Yay for having some solo Disney time coming up!

I can't say I have heard of Marineland but I am excited for you!

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to all the exciting things spring has to offer now!

:laughing: I knew exactly what you were talking about as soon as I read the first lines of the jingle. I too grew up/still see ads for Marineland frequently. I sometimes catch myself humming it. I've never been though despite visiting Niagara Falls several times.

It's SUCH a catchy song!! I'm looking forward to finally seeing it, even if only to satisfy the kid in me who always wanted to go.

We go to MegaCon every year. We love it! What will your husband be doing?

Nice!! Maybe I'll see you there :) Nathan is a spray paint artist and he works as a vendor (at MegaCon, and other conventions/shows like it) painting custom paintings for people in about 3 minutes. It's really neat to watch. I believe last year was his first year at MegaCon, though he's done a couple of different cons in the area, and he's heading back for this year. I, however, will have the much more impressive and important job of doing things like removing stickers from canvas boards, shaking up paint cans, going on food runs, etc. :laughing:

Ahh! I have to say I love that "your Canada is showing" best new expression ever!! I am in Ontario, so yes, definitely know the jingle. Having been a few times, will just caution you to please, PLEASE manage your expectations!! I get needing to go due to advertising (basically the reason we went to 90% off the offsite US restaurants we did in Florida) but be warned that it is pretty sad and I haven't been in 10 years and don't think it has gotten better with age...

Good advice, thank you!! I will try to keep my bar very low. :laughing: With all the years I spent belting the jingle at the top of my lungs, it just feels like something that needs to be done!

African Lion Safari, on the other hand, is actually pretty amazing! I would take it over Marineland hands-down any day of the week. If you can fit it in, definitely worth a visit! Also, unlike AK, you can usually see the lions :)

Good to know!! I'd really like to make time for this. We'll be within walking distance of Marineland, but African Lion Safari will be a little more out of the way. Worth it though, I think. My mom has been once on an excursion from a work conference trip, and she said they had a great day there!

Yay! I started planning a memorial day weekend trip... and then remembered my cousin gets married that saturday.

I've been looking at going to Niagara falls! We stayed on the Canadian side when I was 10 and I remember having a great time... zack's never been . I don't know Marineland though :P

Hmmm...sounds like maybe you'll be busy over Memorial Day weekend. :laughing:

I feel like a terrible Canadian for saying it, but I've still never been to Niagara Falls! But Nathan really likes it there. I'm looking forward to it!

How'd it go?

Hmmm, do you mean the test, or getting back to do replies? Because we got our test marks back already this morning, and apparently I got 100%, so that went great! (It was multiple choice, and only worth 15%, but the material was tough, so still a win!) The replies, however, didn't go as well since I'm only getting around to them now. :laughing:

Such a sacrificial heart you have! ;)

Thanks! It's amazing what you're willing to do for love. Sometimes I still surprise even myself with the things I do for that man. It'll be a burden to have to stick around Florida, but somehow I'll manage.

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!! :banana:

So many exciting things to come this spring!! :hyper:

Yeah, this doesn't sound surprising at all! Textbook case of noise-induced hearing loss.

::yes::

You see this a lot with people who've worked in those kinds of noisy work environments, or who've worked security for places like concerts or clubs. They should all be trained and encouraged to use hearing protection, but more often than not that doesn't happen.

Back then it was a pride thing, too.
No one wore them. You couldn't. Aren't you a man?
He once climbed a crane.... You know those reaaaaaaaaly tall ones? And then he walked out to the cab. No safety rope or nothing.

Because that's just what you did.

It's also becoming more of a concern for my generation because we all listen to loud music through earbud headphones all the time!

"your generation"

Uh, huh.... says the guy who just took those earbuds out a second ago.

Thanks! It went well.

Great!! :)

Now I'm on to the next thing, writing a few papers...but obviously I'm not doing that at the moment since I'm here... :blush:

#priorities

Right?! Sometimes I even surprise myself with my generosity. The things you do for love.

Now that I wholeheartedly agree with.

I may have to look into that for some inspiration!

You know which one it is?
Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers

I'm looking forward to seeing it, even just so I can put that little girl's dream to rest.

::yes::

apparently I got 100%

Whoa! Meghan!! Way to go!!!!

Back then it was a pride thing, too.
No one wore them. You couldn't. Aren't you a man?
He once climbed a crane.... You know those reaaaaaaaaly tall ones? And then he walked out to the cab. No safety rope or nothing.

Because that's just what you did.

I believe that! I know a few gentlemen who were working "back then" who would have had a similar attitude. And it was the time of no helmets, no seatbelts, riding in the back of pick-up trucks, etc. But that crane story... :eek:

"your generation"

Uh, huh.... says the guy who just took those earbuds out a second ago.

:laughing: Oops!

Thanks!! Well, with a title like that, I just might need to read a bit...

Whoa! Meghan!! Way to go!!!!

Thanks!! Apparently I'm highly skilled in the matters of measuring acoustic reflexes and otoacoustic emission responses (which are basically sounds PRODUCED by your ears! Like, your ears don't just hear sound...they also MAKE sound! #mindblown.)

I believe that! I know a few gentlemen who were working "back then" who would have had a similar attitude. And it was the time of no helmets, no seatbelts, riding in the back of pick-up trucks, etc.

I remember riding... not in the backseat with no seatbelt on (there were no seatbelts) but above the back seat... in the space between the back seat and the rear window.
What could possibly go wrong???

But that crane story... :eek:

I know. I'd pee myself. Literally.

Thanks!! Well, with a title like that, I just might need to read a bit...

You can skip stuff. But there is Niagara Falls stuff in there.
Sorry... no Marineland. Different trip. Different kid.

Thanks!! Apparently I'm highly skilled in the matters of measuring acoustic reflexes and otoacoustic emission responses

Me too!!! I do that all the time!

no I don't.

(which are basically sounds PRODUCED by your ears! Like, your ears don't just hear sound...they also MAKE sound! #mindblown.)

Sure. I can make my ears make sounds. No one else could hear them I wouldn't think, but... I can make at least two sounds. Can move them too. Not sure how common (or un-common) that is.

I've secured 2-3 solo Disney days
YAY!!!!!

on the Canadian-border-side of Niagara Falls, a lovely tourist trap
I LOVE the Canadian border side of Niagara Falls - all those tourist traps are my jam :thumbsup2::yes::

So I FINALLY get to go to Marineland.
Yay you!!! So excited for you!

I guess my Canada is showing... :blush:
:rotfl2:

Back to the books!
I hear that. I'm working on a project this weekend that is currently at 64 PPT slides deep, with lots more to go :sad2:

I did think of you when I was solo-ing it up! I was remembering your life lesson about knowing you haven't found the right person until you are more excited to do Disney with them than alone. :goodvibes
Awwww, yep, that's right! :hug:

I hear that. I'm working on a project this weekend that is currently at 64 PPT slides deep, with lots more to go :sad2:

Holy smokes!! Good luck!! I've got a 10-page paper to research and write this weekend. It's not due for a while, so I've got a bit of a cushion, but if I don't get it done this weekend I'm unsure when it'll get done...since there are lots more near-due assignments where that one came from! :headache:

I've got a 10-page paper to research and write this weekend.
Good luck with your paper! :thumbsup2

It's not due for a while, so I've got a bit of a cushion, but if I don't get it done this weekend I'm unsure when it'll get done...since there are lots more near-due assignments where that one came from! :headache:
Time managements skills are a great thing to have, aren't they?! Your future self will thank you ::yes:: I'm already starting to think about my post-graduation Disney celebration trip I'll be taking :laughing:

I have fallen way behind again and haven't quite caught up yet. I'm up to your Hoop Dee Doo Revue dinner!

Uhmmmm, this might possibly be my favorite giraffe picture posted on a trip report!!! That's an amazing shot.

I ended up ordering mainly kids' meals this trip, and it was a SUPER idea!!!

I started doing this last summer, and it's such a better deal! When I saw Landon and Evie getting two sides with their entree, along with a drink, I realized I was missing a great savings opportunity. Glad it worked out well for you, as well!

Sorry to hear Jiko was a big letdown. But thankfully Rose and Crown and Boma made up for that.

I had no idea that if you got a red tray at the Backlot you got a free dessert. Interesting!

Your Splash shirt is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter