I Find It Hard to be Friendly with People With Opposing Views....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or perhaps more light is being shed on what is classified as racism; I think a lot of institutionalized, internalized racism is coming to the surface and perhaps some people now are having a hard time taking a good hard look at themselves.

It's not an either/or. Of course that exists as well. That doesn't change the fact false bigotry accusations are the new "thing", and it's typically used as a method of shutting down the dialogue.

It's not an either/or. Of course that exists as well. That doesn't change the fact false bigotry accusations are the new "thing", and it's typically used as a method of shutting down the dialogue.

Nobody is shutting down anything. Bigots are free to say whatever bigotry they wish. And anyone else is free to call it what it is.

Last edited:
Would this new definition of tolerance cover people who have said these exact words to me: "I cannot tolerate anyone who voted for X -- I just can't stand to be in the same room with them -- they don't deserve to breathe the same air"?

This is of course because X has said things that they think makes a person all kinds of "-ists". So by extension, anyone who voted for them is the same.

Even assume they are correct about X, is that covered by this new definition of tolerance? Or is that "guilt by association"? I'm wondering how far you feel this extends, I suppose.

The side conversation I was responding to had veered away from the "friendly" vs. "not friendly" discussion. I'm talking about the people who demand tolerance of racist, sexist, anti-gay, etc. actions. The type of people who say that because their religion says not to believe in same-sex marriage, then they should not have to issue marriage certificates for same-sex couples even though it's their job to do so, or claim that they should be able to deny their business's services to couples based on their sexual orientation. That kind of thing. I would absolutely never condone someone berating you like you described. I would, however, not be afraid to point out what I see wrong in the thinking of someone like my example.

To answer your specific question, I have seen bad behavior on both sides of the political spectrum, and I've heard and seen written the sentiment you described from both of those sides. Might I, personally, think of someone in a negative light based on who they voted for? Perhaps. Would I be rude to them? Never. I have family members on the opposite side of the political spectrum from me. We learned quickly that, in this climate, politics are 100% off the discussion table, lol.

These boards are set up for friendly discussions, not debates. I haven't read the whole thread, but the few posts I've seen are far from that. There are a lot of other forums that welcome debates and arguments. Let's stay away from hot topics, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter