I had to un-decorate my room window!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just made it through this whole thread and have a few things to say.

I can understand why Disney would discourage this decorating for two reasons and both have already been stated. To reiterate:

1. Decorations are a beach to clean up. Some can even do permanent damage.

2. A lot of these windows certainly do make the hotels look trashy, imho and perhaps in Disney's too.

I know that many people disagree with me and I apologize if I'm offending the OP, but judging by the pic you posted, I think that window doesn't look particularly classy. And I'm not quite sure that inviting Jack Sparrow into your hotel room is particularly Disney-friendly. There I said it. I'm sorry if I sound harsh.

People aren't paying Disney prices for amateur theming, made up of dollar store and homemade decorations. And while I would simply look away, others might complain. Those complaints may be enough of a reason for Disney to ask you to take down your decorations.

Oh, and if you put a dry-erase board on any public door, I think you can be guarenteed that some smart aleck is going to write something insulting and/or inappropriate.

Now, several people have said that Disney has been contacted and they say that all decorating is fine. Well, we know that isn't true since the OP and at least one other person on this thread were asked to take theirs down. So, I'd be really interested in reading the actual official reply from Disney on this. Were specific questions asked about decorating? Maybe they don't have a problem in general with decorating but have certain rules around it.

Also, isn't it true that you are no longer allowed to decorate your door on DCL as well? Or at least there have been some sort of limits put on this? I thought I read something about that on the Cruise Board.

I just made it through this whole thread and have a few things to say.

I can understand why Disney would discourage this decorating for two reasons and both have already been stated. To reiterate:

1. Decorations are a beach to clean up. Some can even do permanent damage.

2. A lot of these windows certainly do make the hotels look trashy, imho and perhaps in Disney's too.

I know that many people disagree with me and I apologize if I'm offending the OP, but judging by the pic you posted, I think that window doesn't look particularly classy. And I'm not quite sure that inviting Jack Sparrow into your hotel room is particularly Disney-friendly. There I said it. I'm sorry if I sound harsh.

People aren't paying Disney prices for amateur theming, made up of dollar store and homemade decorations. And while I would simply look away, others might complain. Those complaints may be enough of a reason for Disney to ask you to take down your decorations.

Oh, and if you put a dry-erase board on any public door, I think you can be guarenteed that some smart aleck is going to write something insulting and/or inappropriate.

Now, several people have said that Disney has been contacted and they say that all decorating is fine. Well, we know that isn't true since the OP and at least one other person on this thread were asked to take theirs down. So, I'd be really interested in reading the actual official reply from Disney on this. Were specific questions asked about decorating? Maybe they don't have a problem in general with decorating but have certain rules around it.

Also, isn't it true that you are no longer allowed to decorate your door on DCL as well? Or at least there have been some sort of limits put on this? I thought I read something about that on the Cruise Board.

:worship: The voice of reason!

No just prefer the resorts not to look like a trailer park.

Thanks for the personal insult.

unnecessary irony

You sarcastically thank the person for the personal insult while digging at those who live in trailers. Nice!

I do not stand on either side of the window decorating. I leave it up to the person paying for the room and the mgt of the resort. But my kids sure loved walking by the rooms decorated a couple of weeks ago. So for seeing those smiles and giggles, ty.

I don't stay onsite so I don't really care if you decorate or not but this whole thing reminds me of the whole "hang your laundry on a clothesline is o.k. vs tacky" debate.

To the pp who questioned whether DCL allows doors to be decorated:
We just sailed on the magic over TG and there were plenty of doors decorated. We just had a few magnets on ours. Yes, some get a little crazy but nothing that bothered me.

Certainly no markers or tape to be seen anywhere.

this whole thing reminds me of the whole "hang your laundry on a clothesline is o.k. vs tacky" debate.

HOLD ON! Back up the train please!!!

Hanging laundry on the line is tacky? The majority of people in Germany (as in much of Europe) don't own dryers, so we use a clothes line (not on Sunday however) Since when is being environmentally concious 'tacky'?? I certainly hope that you don't expect me to wear damp undies. Crunchy from line drying, yes, but damp from washing, no thank you!

Hanging laundry on the line is tacky? The majority of people in Germany (as in much of Europe) don't own dryers, so we use a clothes line (not on Sunday however) Since when is being environmentally concious 'tacky'?? I certainly hope that you don't expect me to wear damp undies. Crunchy from line drying, yes, but damp from washing, no thank you![/QUOTE

Some people don't think it's appropriate to hang your underwear outside in view of the neighbors at least here in America...it doesn't bother me, but some people do find it tacky...

maybe some those people stay at deluxe resorts...away from the "trailer park" values

Well, we did have the strange man in the village who we always suspected was the reason various women would find a pair of undies missing from the washing line ;)

More often people use a small drying rack on the balcony as not many people own homes in Germany. But even in houses dryers are not common, and even those who own dryers air dry.

Even when in America I will use a washing machine but bring my damp clothes back to the room to dry them. No need to waste electricity when the air will dry them! :)

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that while it is okay to have differing opinions on this subject, please be respectful of other people's opinions. Per DIS posting guidelines, no personal attacks are allowed. This thread is already skating on thin ice, so lets please return to the original topic, and leave the insults/attacks out of it.

:worship: The voice of reason!

Wrong!

#1 Not all decorations are a "beach" to clean up. Window clings are no problem, neither is anything hung up with suction cups.

#2 I don't think the decorated windows look tacky. Maybe you do, but that is only an opinon, not a fact.

People complain about how the decorations make the resorts look tacky. How can a Mickey window cling make a resort tacky, but a family running around in matching Mickey tees and Mickey ears does not? How do those people not detract from the ambiance of the resort? (which is another comment always throw out). Maybe I should complain about all the Mickey tees taking away from the pure Disney themeing of the resort?

In fact, I find it silly to let what someone puts up on their windows have such a big impact on your own vacation. To paraphrase another thread out there, that is why God made your neck to turn. So you didn't have to look at something if you didn't want to. If you don't like what someone else is doing, yet what they are doing is perfectly legal, then don't look.

Hanging laundry on the line is tacky? The majority of people in Germany (as in much of Europe) don't own dryers, so we use a clothes line (not on Sunday however) Since when is being environmentally concious 'tacky'?? I certainly hope that you don't expect me to wear damp undies. Crunchy from line drying, yes, but damp from washing, no thank you!

Off topic I know, but...

Crunchy undies, Bavaria! :scared1: I don't think I could handle that! Crunchy towels and sheets, yes. Undies no!

We are kind of wierd over here in America. For some reason being you are only allowed to be environmentally friendly in a few ways. Metal water bottle? Ok. Reusable bags? Good. Crunchy undies? No!:rotfl2:

I didn't say I think it's tacky; I just said some people do. We've looked at "new construction" homes in FL several years ago that had a very strict list of things you can and can't do. Such as all fences had to be a matching style and they had a homeowners association, that owners paid a monthly fee for, that would even cut front lawns due to varying opinions of what proper grass height should be. No clothes lines were one of the rules.

Where I grew up (slightly rural, beginnings of suburbia) we always hung our clothes outside. It was a store bought tree type so we could hide the undies near the center so not all neighbors could see.
One summer when I was a teenager, my dad even disconnected the gas line to the dryer and told us we have all day to do our wash and to plan ahead to get it done on sunny days.:laughing: He was tired of us running the dryer while he was the only one at work all day.

I now live about 2 miles from my parents where the homes are much closer together, same town. I still have a clothes tree in my back yard and hang when I can. Most summer days it's so muggy it would take all day to dry one load. (Working FT I don't really have that much time. I do about 10 loads per weekend.)
My elderly neighbor approached me to tell me when these homes were first built, you weren't allowed to hang clothes outside. :rolleyes:
I told her when the laundry police come to arrest me, I'll stop. :headache:
The kicker is, it can't even be seen from the street. She came into my back yard and then griped about it. Arrrgh!!pirate: There are no homes behind us so who is it bothering? :confused3

Wrong!

#1 Not all decorations are a "beach" to clean up. Window clings are no problem, neither is anything hung up with suction cups.

#2 I don't think the decorated windows look tacky. Maybe you do, but that is only an opinon, not a fact.

People complain about how the decorations make the resorts look tacky. How can a Mickey window cling make a resort tacky, but a family running around in matching Mickey tees and Mickey ears does not? How do those people not detract from the ambiance of the resort? (which is another comment always throw out). Maybe I should complain about all the Mickey tees taking away from the pure Disney themeing of the resort?

In fact, I find it silly to let what someone puts up on their windows have such a big impact on your own vacation. To paraphrase another thread out there, that is why God made your neck to turn. So you didn't have to look at something if you didn't want to. If you don't like what someone else is doing, yet what they are doing is perfectly legal, then don't look.

My opinion is RIGHT for us. We don't pay deluxe rates to see the resort made to look tacky & cheap by a bagful of dollar store finds. I would like the resort to look lovely & uniform....I pay for the Disney atmosphere not somebody's idea of what taste is.
I will never know if my complaint helped the "decor" to come down but I was pleased to see management agreed & had it removed. I'm sure the family recovered or else decided to change hotels for their next stay.

I didn't say I think it's tacky; I just said some people do.

My apologies! (to you and to the moderator for veering off topic)

My lack of smileys did not indicate that I was trying to lighten the situation which was getting rather uncomfortable here by discussing my crunchy underwear. ;)

I in no way thought that you had an opinion on the subject nor did I take any offense at all - I just never realised that it was a topic of debate for some people! :) Thank you for explaining that.

And now I let you all return back to the discussion of tacky vs not tacky when it comes to window decorating...

I don't stay onsite so I don't really care if you decorate or not but this whole thing reminds me of the whole "hang your laundry on a clothesline is o.k. vs tacky" debate.

To the pp who questioned whether DCL allows doors to be decorated:
We just sailed on the magic over TG and there were plenty of doors decorated. We just had a few magnets on ours. Yes, some get a little crazy but nothing that bothered me.

Certainly no markers or tape to be seen anywhere.

I'm not sure that this has anything to do with clothes lines at all. :confused3

Are you still allowed fish extenders on DCL? I thought I had read about this rule changing.

Wrong!

{snip}

#1 Even with the basic decorating you mention like clings and suction cups, you still have to wash the window once they are taken down. However, what the OP posted and many of the other ways of decorating that are being used take a good amount of cleaning afterward.

#2 I only every stated the "tacky" comment as my opinion. I don't see where I stated it as fact. :confused3

#3 I clearly stated that it doesn't affect my vacation when I said that I just look the other way. So no need for a lecture.

I certainly didn't read all of the posts here, but wanted to add that I think you got asked to clean up because of the writing on the windows. Window clings and plush are fine, but not writing, paint, etc. That could cause permanent damage.

My opinion is RIGHT for us. We don't pay deluxe rates to see the resort made to look tacky & cheap by a bagful of dollar store finds. I would like the resort to look lovely & uniform....I pay for the Disney atmosphere not somebody's idea of what taste is.
I will never know if my complaint helped the "decor" to come down but I was pleased to see management agreed & had it removed. I'm sure the family recovered or else decided to change hotels for their next stay.

Why is it right to force your opinion of the window decorations on others? Why can you just not look the other way for the brief moment it takes you to walk by a window? :confused3 As you say, your opinion is right for you, but it is not right for everyone.

I don't buy the whole atmosphere being ruined argument. You don't see the people who stay at the Poly running around in grass skirts. You don't see the people at the Yacht Club in their blue and white stripes and deck shoes. You see them in their Mickey Ts and flip flops. Doesn't that detract from the atmosphere much more than a few window decorations on a window you pass briefly by? It just seems you want to force your likes/dislikes on others, and I have a real problem with that.

The fact is that many people decorate their windows, and only a couple have reported being asked to remove their decorations. I have decorated my window for the last 3 trips and have not heard a peep from management. So until Disney actually seems to have a real problem with it, you can bet I still plan on packing my decorations for my trip next year. :cool1:

Hi again everyone! Between the ongoing strong-worded posts and purpose of this thread being lost, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter