I had to un-decorate my room window!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of glad.

I haven't read all of the thread yet, so I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but honestly....

I pay a lot of money for the DISNEY ambiance. To me, decorations on doors and windows are something you see in elementary schools and college dorms. It's NOT Disney Pixie Dust Ambience.

If you want to decorate your mirror or the inside of your door that's one thing. But I'm just as upset by decorated doors I pass in the hotel as I would be if you left a pile of dirty clothes in the hallway.
In total agreement with this. I'm sure some are well done, but I think taken to its natural conclusion (not discouraged), it could make the resorts look messy and trashy.

I personally have never decorated a door or window at WDW, and honestly haven't seen THAT many when I stay on property, but I did decorate my door on both Disney cruises with magnets (this seems to be quite a popular thing with DISers on the cruise), and most of us did a gift exchange which involves these things called "fish extenders" hanging off of the metal fish from the door. I've seen many more decorated doors on the ship versus at WDW, so those of you who don't enjoy door decorations might want to keep that in mind should you choose to cruise with Disney. :goodvibes

Just wanted to say that I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. And yes, even if they don't read the entire thread. I just felt the opinion stated that I responded to was a bit harsh, and I feel if the poster had read through all the threads, they may have worded their "opinion" a bit differently.

I still see nothing wrong with decorating your window, not at all. I do believe it can be done over the top and exagerated. And I most definately would never "write" with anything on their windows. I think this is where the original poster messed up and got into trouble.

And as a matter of fact, I have seen many times where the "Mouse keeping" CM's have seen and given very positive remarks to window decorations, and have many times added to them. Such as putting the guest stuffies in the window, hanging in the tied curtain. Or even placing a new small towel animal in the window along with decorations. This has happened to me both times I've decorated. So really don't think it's that big of an issue.

And yes, as you said, this too is my opinion.
Blessings as always,
Winnie

And see, I thought your post about "running over toes" was a bit harsh. The pp stated they enjoy the Disney ambiance, without all the "extra" artwork. They are on vacation same as you.
As far as CM's or Mousekeeping giving positive remarks about the decorations, they are not the ones who generally make the rules. It seems Management has issues with the decorations and Managers are asking they be removed. And for mousekeeping "adding" to the decorations, it is one thing to add a stuffed animal to a window and something else to write on a window.

I'm kind of glad.

I haven't read all of the thread yet, so I don't know if anyone agrees with me, but honestly....

I pay a lot of money for the DISNEY ambiance. To me, decorations on doors and windows are something you see in elementary schools and college dorms. It's NOT Disney Pixie Dust Ambience.

If you want to decorate your mirror or the inside of your door that's one thing. But I'm just as upset by decorated doors I pass in the hotel as I would be if you left a pile of dirty clothes in the hallway.

I absolutely agree-and I did read the entire thread!! I pick a hotel for the ambience and the Disney experience (and pay good money for it). I don't want to see tacky decorations all over the hotel. It seems very juvenile to me-if you were to stay at a Days Inn down the street you wouldn't decorate the door-why do it in Disney!??

Just a warning to all. We put a magnetic small white board on our door. It was from the $1 section at Target. For the first four days or so of our trip it was great. We got messages on it (have a magical day) (hope you have a great vacation ect..) Then we got a message with what can best be described as potty talk. Dh then wrote at the top of the board "Kid friendly messages only please" The next day was another potty talk message. We took down the board. It only takes one to mess it up doesn't it? Anyways...just a FYI. My kids loved having the white board. It helped them find the room and it was cute.

I absolutely agree-and I did read the entire thread!! I pick a hotel for the ambience and the Disney experience (and pay good money for it). I don't want to see tacky decorations all over the hotel. It seems very juvenile to me-if you were to stay at a Days Inn down the street you wouldn't decorate the door-why do it in Disney!??

Whoa! A bit juvenile? We're talking about DISNEY!

I respectfully must agree with OP about keeping decorations to a minimum or inside the the resort room for your own viewing pleasure. I have seen some cute stuffed animals in the room windows ( or towel animals) which made me smile......but I have never been too impressed with window and door decorations especially some that I have seen that kind of went overboard.
I don't wish to "step on anyones toes" but feel that the decorations are a personal thing and could just as easily be keep inside your guest room.

Whoa! A bit juvenile? We're talking about DISNEY!
But why does that mean that behaviour should be different because one is staying at a Disney resort? The high cost associated with decorating is the same whether at a Disney resort or a Hilton or a Days Inn.

There are reports of mirrors and windows having to be replaced due to decorating. Factor in the additional labour required, not to mention the need to paint and touch up, and I fully understand why Disney has had to put an end to this. The Disney resorts also have a high occupancy rate, making it difficult to take rooms out of inventory to repair items.

Any time a guest behaves in a fashion which results in additional cost to repair the room, they should be charged. I doubt that many here would complain if Disney charged a guest $350 for breaking a mirror due to horseplay; why should they not charge guests for willfully damaging property (even if they had good intentions?)

And yes, there are reports on other threads directly from CMs about the cost of repairs.

This was my first time decorating our window. My family and I loved it! It definitely helped us find our room especially when we were tired after a long day in the parks. Plus, it was my son's 8th birthday - and he found it extra special that the window said HAPPY BIRTHDAY. In fact, he thought the mousekeeping group had decorated it.

We will definitely do this again, if we stay at a value resort. However, I have to admit that I don't think I would decorate the outside of the room at a deluxe resort. We have stayed at AKL in the past (it's my favorite) and I just can't see decorating those doors or the balacony windows. The resort is beautiful and perfectly themed and I do think that the decorations might detract from it. However, the other posters are right in that if I don't like it - I don't have to look! Really its not that big of a deal - its Disney - Have Fun! But, the value resorts do have a fun and whimsical theme and decorating there seems to fit. (But this is just my opinion)

Happy Decorating to All! :goodvibes

But why does that mean that behaviour should be different because one is staying at a Disney resort? The high cost associated with decorating is the same whether at a Disney resort or a Hilton or a Days Inn.

There are reports of mirrors and windows having to be replaced due to decorating. Factor in the additional labour required, not to mention the need to paint and touch up, and I fully understand why Disney has had to put an end to this. The Disney resorts also have a high occupancy rate, making it difficult to take rooms out of inventory to repair items.

Any time a guest behaves in a fashion which results in additional cost to repair the room, they should be charged. I doubt that many here would complain if Disney charged a guest $350 for breaking a mirror due to horseplay; why should they not charge guests for willfully damaging property (even if they had good intentions?)

And yes, there are reports on other threads directly from CMs about the cost of repairs.

I thought it was out of line to imply someone is "very juvenile" (esp at a place that's pretty much all about kids, family, etc) because they have a different personal taste. Just because she doesn't like it, doesn't mean she should insult others. That has NOTHING to do with anything you posted about, so I don't quite understand why you quoted me here.

Also, I have been to numerous hotels in my life, in all parts of the country, and I have seen decorations! *gasp* :eek: Yes, decorations, at non Disney hotels! :scared1: And not low end hotels either! "Just Married" "Happy Birthday" etc! So appearently the behavior isn't all that different.

And, if you go to the "Decorating your resort room" thread there are several people who have just returned with no problems. Also, after personally contacting Disney, they said there are no problems. So I guess there's no "end to this."

Heaven forbid you act juvenile at a place where the main man is a giant mouse, and it is cool to wear a copy of his ears on your head!:rotfl2:

I get that some people do not like the window decorating. But at most of the disney resorts you hardly ever see each other's windows, just in passing. So is it really that big of a distraction from the "ambiance"? It is not like you can see them from the food court, the bus stop, or check in. Is it really so horrible that you can't just ignore them if you don't like them?

Ok I am going to play the devil's advocate here.:stir:. My family and I sometimes stay at the beach with a friend who owns a home. We love going to the beach and get very excited about it too :beach: :banana:. We plan and have everything mapped out like I do for Disney. Now that being said, I would NEVER even consider decorating the walls, windows or doors at my friends home :scared1:. I would probably never be asked to come back :sad2:. I was taught, and teach my children, to have respect for other's property. If it isn't yours you don't do anything to it that can cause damage. I don't see window clings causing damage, but the markers, tape and putting tacks in the windows to hold lights causes damage. Magnets on the doors can pull paint off. And as someone else posted, leaving a board on the door for comments may invite unwanted and unsavory comments :eek:. Remember, everyone at Disney isn't family friendly :confused3.

Ok I am going to play the devil's advocate here.:stir:. My family and I sometimes stay at the beach with a friend who owns a home. We love going to the beach and get very excited about it too :beach: :banana:. We plan and have everything mapped out like I do for Disney. Now that being said, I would NEVER even consider decorating the walls, windows or doors at my friends home :scared1:. I would probably never be asked to come back :sad2:. I was taught, and teach my children, to have respect for other's property. If it isn't yours you don't do anything to it that can cause damage. I don't see window clings causing damage, but the markers, tape and putting tacks in the windows to hold lights causes damage. Magnets on the doors can pull paint off. And as someone else posted, leaving a board on the door for comments may invite unwanted and unsavory comments :eek:. Remember, everyone at Disney isn't family friendly :confused3.

I agree with you completely except for one thing - I've never heard of magnetic door decorations pulling paint off or doing any kind of damage whatsoever to any surface.

WOW sorry to hear that, maybe it's a new policy or something I was at Pop in July and saw alot of decorated windows. So i'm not sure what's going on.:confused3

I agree with you completely except for one thing - I've never heard of magnetic door decorations pulling paint off or doing any kind of damage whatsoever to any surface.

It happened to my daughter's friend in the dorms at school. It was most likely due to all the coats of paint on the door? And cheap paint :confused: ...........:rotfl2:

DD9 and I decorated our window at Pop when we were there this month for our mother/daughter trip.

It was fun to do once but I don't think many people saw it because of our location.

It also took about 45 minutes to put up and take down which included cleaning the window before and after (it had been awhile since that window had been cleaned. Yuck.) so I doubt we'll ever do it again.

We put up window clings and strung mickey heads onto strings that we hung in the window.

While personally I have never decorated my window at a Disney (or any other) resort I have seen it done many times. I have seen it at both Value and Moderate priced Disney resorts I have stayed in, but not yet at any of the Deluxe resorts.

I see no harm in adding a strategically placed stuffed animal in the window, or some simple window clings (especially to help young children know which room is theirs) to add to the joy of the visitor in the room. I agree that using decorations that could cause damage is best left to use in one's own home and the responsibility for any clean up (and any resulting damage) lies with the guest that did the decorating in the first place.

Like with all decorating, everyone has their own idea of what looks nice and what appears to be overdone. As long as it is not offensive or inappropriate for young children, whether I feel it looks tacky or not is my opinion and I would hate to think that my opinion would ever ruin anyone else's happiness. So if you want to decorate, please do so, and you may find that the smiles you bring to the guests walking by or even to your own face are truly magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter