I have a lot of questions about going on a Disney Cruise

Mickey76

This is my happy place.
Hey, everyone, I was hoping that you could help me out. My girlfriend and I have been talkng about possibly taking a Disney Cruise next year, during the summer. She's been on the cruise before, but I have not. For all of you experts out there, please answer these questions:

1. What month of the summer is the best time to go? We'd probably do the Land and Sea package.

2. How are the prices? My girlfriend can't remember what she paid. We'd probably stay at a moderate hotel during the land portion and we'd like to have a room with an ocean view.

3. Which do you think is the better of the two ships, the Magic or the Wonder?

I have more questions but I can't remember what they are right now. I appreciate all of your help.

Mickey76 :D

1. What month of the summer is the best time to go? We'd probably do the Land and Sea package.

1. I don't usually recommend summer...very hot, crowded and the cost is more. We love cruising in the fall and we have cruised in Jan and loved it. The parks are also crowded in the summer. If you need to do summer, then I would choose mid-late August.

2. How are the prices? My girlfriend can't remember what she paid. We'd probably stay at a moderate hotel during the land portion and we'd like to have a room with an ocean view.

2. I feel the prices are reasonable for the service and quality that you get. You could find cheaper cruise prices with another line, but I feel that you pay for what you get and with Disney I feel confident I get my money's worth! :) You can get price quotes from DCL site or from Dreams Unlimited. DCL offers many ocean view rooms, some with portholes and some with open verandahs.

3. Which do you think is the better of the two ships, the Magic or the Wonder?

3. The Wonder is the ship that does the 3 and 4 night cruises with the Land and Sea Package. The Magic does the 7night itineraries. I love the Wonder. While the ships are almost identical, with some decorative differences, the atmosphere on the WOnder has always seemed different to me. Maybe it is because my first cruise was on that ship! I think they are both magnificent!

Any more ?'s, please ask! Hope you decide to give DCL a try! :)

When to go:
I think early to mid June would be best because:
1) Its the beginning of hurricane season and the probability of encountering one is less likely to occur
2) The WDW parks are less crowded
3) The temperatures and humidity is generally lower in June than August

But the real best time to go is in January or February because for most of the country the weather is cold and dreary, and a short vacation to the Bahamas or Caribbean during that time of year makes for a really nice break. And the weather is a little cooler and the humidity is down, making for a much nicer time being outside - and it's still warm enough to enjoy the ocean and pools.

Pricing:
I don't have a clue as to what the trip should cost. Others have made very compelling arguments against the Land/Sea package because you can book what you want and save some money and be on your own schedule as opposed to Disney's schedule. The flip side to this is that the Land/Sea package is very convenient because you only check in once and Disney takes care of your bags for you.

If you want to get ballpark prices of what the land/sea package will cost, go to www.disneycriuse.com and get an immediate quote there. The resort you stay in depends on what stateroom you choose on the ship. Then, shop around other web sites like Dreams, All Seas, or call AAA and look for the best price!

Thats the only question that I can help with....what I can say is that we did a land/sea in Oct 2002, and wish we would have done a 7 night, we loved it SOOO MUCH:bounce: Your money will be well spent on this wonderful, magical escape!

:D

Thanks for all the tips. We'd have to go during the summer, since we are both teachers and we need to save up for the trip (eliminating any chance to go over Christmas or Spring Break). I really want to go, being that it's been over a year since I last went to WDW and I've never been on a cruise before.

Mickey76 :D

if you are on a budget, booking your WDW accommodations separately from the cruise vs land and sea...there are many hotels in the Orlando area that are every bit as good as Disney's mid priced hotels, but for much less (check out Renaissance)...then you can have the flexibility of doing a 3 day cruise, and 3 days at WDW (one day each for MK, EPCOT, AK)...

The prices are going to be the worst because of your teaching schedule. (Dad is a teacher and I struggle each year to plan trips.)

I would check for the first possible summer date you can manage. Also, look at a 3 day cruise to get your feet wet since you have never cruised before. Spring break will only be good if you can stay away from April- too many kids and the prices will be higher. March would be a great time to go if your school lets out that early.

The prices are not going to be cheap, but you will definitely save if you book an off Disney hotel and then the cruise separately. However, the price will be worth it.

We are going on a 4 night starting Dec. 19, 2004. It is considered value season (not sure why, but I won't argue).

You may want to just glance through the cruises and the prices at AllSeasons. I have never used them (I use Dreams Unlimited), but this is a good site to go to and look at prices to compare different dates:

http://www.allseastravel.com/

DJ

We have never cruised before, but are considering this for our next vacation. I was wondering...what is/isn't included in the cost? Do we pay separately for food? Drinks? Entertainment? What about Castaway Cay?

Edited to add:
OKAY -- I just found my answer! (Duh! :rolleyes: ) I should've LOOKED for it before asking...sounds like something I'm always telling my kids! :eek:

I just talked to my travel agent today. I asked her the same questions I asked here and she told me much of the same thing, but she also told me that food is included. I'm really hyped about this possible vacation. I hope it works out.

Mickey76:D

I would stay away from the 3 day cruise...it is just way to short...the 4 day is even to short but at least you will have that one extra day onboard.

We've cruised in both June and July and they're great months to go. Since you teach in New York, your schools don't get out until the end of June, so I'd go for the beginning of July if available. This is early in the hurricane season and you will have a much greater chance of the weather being great without any storms brewing in the Ocean. Your February break is also a great time to cruise, though the weather can be cool and it can be downright cold here in Florida.

As for the price, the summer months are higher other than the holiday cruises. However, if you book early enough and check around for deals, you should be able to find something in your budget. I would book the land portion on your own as you should be able to save a great deal of money but shopping around.

As far as which boat I like, they're both great. I'd prefer to be on the Magic only because then I would be on a 7 night cruise versus a 4 night!

I know this is a weird question, but I still got to ask. How warm is the water at Castaway Cay? The farthest south I've been is Ft. Lauderdale and I remember the water being warm ( at least warm as far as ocean water goes). It doesn't matter to me if the water is cold, I'm just curious, that's all.

While it is almost possible to go and treat the cruise price as the cost of your vacation, don't underestimate the amount of money you may need to cruise. It isn't uncommon for people to leave with a thousand dollars spent on top of their cruise in excursions, spa treatments, tips, photos and the liquor/non-meal soda bill (etc., etc., etc.). I haven't cruised yet, so I can't really give you any idea - although my guess from these boards is that the thousand is a lot, but few people leave without having spend at least a couple hundred. Of all these things, you don't need to drink, you can stay on the boat when they land (or see Nassau yourself for cheap or go on an inexpensive excursion), you don't need to do spa treatments, etc. The only thing you really have to do is tip.

Dreams Unlimited has been very helpful to us. We filled out their web page with some basics and picked a date from the air. They came back with a quote and we came back with "we want to do this, between this and this date, can you give us some pricing for a four day cruise in this category" Tammy came back with a list of prices.

Has anyone ever booked the Family Reunion package? Was it worth the extra cost ($29 per person)?

Thanks,

Charles

We've been on the 7 day and are going again. I had never cruised before but loved the 7 day. With you both being teachers, check to see if the Swan and Dolphin have rates for Teachers at that time. My DH is a state employee so we get the government rate. I believe it is currently around $130 - not bad for being this close to Disney. If you wanted to do Land and Sea, book the Swan or Dolphin separately and then 3 or 4 day. Even though you have to check in twice, if you add the transfers, DCL will take care of your luggage (we didn't expect this and were surprised).

Mickey76....I see you are in Newburg.....we are downstate in Tappan, but my BIL lives in Monroe.

Since you are a teacher in New York you don't go back to school until after Labor Day, right??? Even though it is well into hurricane season, the later weeks in August are much cheaper than the first weeks of July because across the county a lot of students have already returned back to school.

I agree 100% with the posters about booking your WDW stay and cruise separately. Go for the 4 day cruise...you will not regret it.

A note about hurricane season and cruise ships.....a cruise has rarely ever been cancelled due to a hurricane or Tropical Storm. Cruise ships have the ability of steering away from bad weather....you may not make your original ports of call, but you will still have a vacation. If you were land based during a hurricane your vacation is pretty much ruined. So, in short don't worry too much about hurrican season...just go when the prices are best for you.

MJ

:D

Thank you to everyone who responded. I watched a special on the Travel Channel last night about the Disney Cruise and I hope to be going sometime next summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter