I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are meaning can you refer from the CIP, than no. Are you still deciding which card to get? CSR vs CSP? Or are you considering getting both with the modified double dip? Either way, you will want to get the cards in one name only, do not add spouse as an AU. If you get the CSP, then you can refer the spouse for their own CSP and get 10,000 referral points that way. The CSR currently does not have referrals. Or you can refer your spouse for the CIP. That is the most lucrative UR points wise. 80,000 for bonus plus 20,000 for referral.

Got it (I think). I can refer CIP to CIP but not CIP to CSP or CSR (not planning to get both - just haven’t decided which one for sure).

Hi! I got the CIP a month or so ago and am thinking about getting the CSR or CSP next. The CIP is in my name. Are there any strategies I could use when getting the CSR/CSP? For example, could I refer my DH and get the CSR/CSP in his name instead of mine and get bonus URs for the referral? It doesn’t matter to us who is the primary cardholder, and the other of us will be an AU. Thanks!!

Hi...since you have the CIP..you can only refer your DH to the same card...the CIP....you’d get 20kURs for the referral and he gets the 80k sign up bonus

If your interested in opening the CSR or CSP...or both with the MDD.....do so just in your name or your DH name...if you add each other as AUs it added to your 5/24 count.

I wouldn't avoid Marriott, it has the largest footprint, hotel wise and it sounds like your DH is alrady going to be staying there more than once this year. Even with some of the hiccups, I've stayed there without incident and haven't had any issues with the merger.

If you can meet the sign up bonus of $5k in 3 months that's 100.000 Marriott (fine, bonvoy) points plus the Amex Biz has no AF for the first year and will increase the points he earns if he uses the card. So with the waived first year AF, you can decide whether you like it, take it for a trial run as it were. Since it's a biz card, Chase won't see it and you have nothing to lose. That's only my opinion, of course.

You're right in noticing that there's a lot of consternation over the new Bonvoy program (and that atrocious name). But here's the problem...there just aren't that many hotel programs out there now. The major ones that you see discussed are: Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, & Hilton. Hyatt and IHG are nice but they have limited cards so your earning opportunities are also limited. (Of course you could transfer URs to one of these programs (or book hotels through the portal), but many people are already using their URs for other portions of the travel).

That really leaves Marriott and Hilton as the two major chains that CC Churners focus on. They both have numerous cards you can get with big time earning potential. (I readily will admit that I'm not up on all the Marriott restrictions between Chase/Amex and the various cards but it does seem like people are getting multiple large signup bonuses there). Marriott and Hilton also both let you combine points with spouses which doubles your earning potential in some respects.

Most of the complaints you see about Marriott are because things "aren't like they used to be". The customer service isn't as good, they've devalued the points, they've made it difficult to use old certificates, etc. For somebody who (a) stays at Marriott properties with some regularity and (b) is just jumping into their program - Bonvoy really isn't that bad. It's certainly on par with Hilton - they both have their merits and their drawbacks I'd say. If you know that you'll have a good use for the Marriott points, I'd consider jumping in there.

Thanks to you both for the input! I think using his conference stays to build points in a few currencies will give us more flexibility. April/May/June is an expensive three months for us with taxes, property taxes, and a couple of insurance bills all due, so the $5k won't be an issue. I'll have him go for it in a week or so. Fingers crossed for no popup.

I am bored at work and catching up and I’ve “churned” information in my head to where I’ve thoroughly confused myself re 5/24. I know for Chase business cards, they don’t count against 5/24 but you have to be under 5/24 to apply. Does this boil down to effectively you can only get 5 Chase cards - business or personal - in 24 months? Or is it that if I’m at 4/24, I can get as many Chase business cards as Chase will allow? And once I hit 5/34, I’m shut out of Chase business and personal until I get below it. I know this shouldn’t be a hard concept...my excuse is work has dulled my brain today.

Hi! I got the CIP a month or so ago and am thinking about getting the CSR or CSP next. The CIP is in my name. Are there any strategies I could use when getting the CSR/CSP? For example, could I refer my DH and get the CSR/CSP in his name instead of mine and get bonus URs for the referral? It doesn’t matter to us who is the primary cardholder, and the other of us will be an AU. Thanks!!

Got it (I think). I can refer CIP to CIP but not CIP to CSP or CSR (not planning to get both - just haven’t decided which one for sure).
I’d refer your husband to the CIP card. When you’re done with that spend then consider a CSP or CSR (or both via a modified double dip) in your name. You can add AUs on business cards but the general advice is DO NOT add AUs on personal cards as it adds to that person’s 5/24 count. :) You are learning the game fast my friend :)

So I've been following all of this talk about applying for multiple CIPs, and I'm seriously tempted to try to get another CIP for DH. He is currently at 3/24, and his current CIP hits its one-year anniversary on March 21. In an ideal world, I would wait until his CIP hits its anniversary, cancel and then have him re-apply after a little bit of "cooling off" time. Also, his last Chase card was the SW biz approved on 12/26, so I'd ideally wait until the end of March to give his Chase apps the recommended 3-month minimum spacing. My dilemma is this: The PIF date for our summer Africa trip is coming up, and it's the most expensive trip we've ever taken. I have a very generous credit line on my CSR, but it won't be enough to cover the full balance payment. I definitely want to earn 3x for every dollar of the balance payment on that trip. Right now in terms of paying off Africa, my gameplan is to hit DH's credit limit on his CIP first (since we aren't really using his CIP at all since now that I have my own CIP), then hit a good portion of the credit limit on my CIP (leaving room for eBay shipping fees since that seems like the only 3x category left on the CIP that we actually use), and put the balance on the CSR so we aren't hitting the full CSR CL and still have some flexibility to put dining and other misc. travel expenses on the CSR. What's niggling at me is the possibility of having DH apply for another CIP now (before cancelling his existing one and waiting a little bit) and being able to knock off the MSR in one payment by using that new CIP for the payment of part of our Africa balance. He currently has 3 Chase biz cards (CIP, CIC and SW Biz), so this would make a fourth for him under this SSN. I also don't want to risk a shutdown for him because his CIC is our only one currently, and it is our second biggest UR earning cow behind the CSR right now. So what does everyone think? Go for it? Is it it too risky that not only will he be denied, he'll also be shut down? Should I just go the conservative plan and wait until after I've used his CIP for part of our Africa payment, close it after its anniversary and then have him apply for another? At that point, I'm definitely less excited because I will need to come up with another way to meet that $5k MSR.

I’d think your fine applying for another CIP. There are DPs of people getting a second with the first open and your just about 3 months from his last Chase card...if needed I’d lower CLs on existing cards to increase the chance of a instant approval

I am bored at work and catching up and I’ve “churned” information in my head to where I’ve thoroughly confused myself re 5/24. I know for Chase business cards, they don’t count against 5/24 but you have to be under 5/24 to apply. Does this boil down to effectively you can only get 5 Chase cards - business or personal - in 24 months? Or is it that if I’m at 4/24, I can get as many Chase business cards as Chase will allow? And once I hit 5/34, I’m shut out of Chase business and personal until I get below it. I know this shouldn’t be a hard concept...my excuse is work has dulled my brain today.
The second statement is correct: If you’re 4/24 you can get as many Chase biz cards as they’ll give you! Once you hit 5/24 you are locked out of Chase completely.

It’s the second....at 4/24...you can apply for as many as Chase will allow...it’s recommended to space out applications 2-3 months apart

So I've been following all of this talk about applying for multiple CIPs, and I'm seriously tempted to try to get another CIP for DH. He is currently at 3/24, and his current CIP hits its one-year anniversary on March 21. In an ideal world, I would wait until his CIP hits its anniversary, cancel and then have him re-apply after a little bit of "cooling off" time. Also, his last Chase card was the SW biz approved on 12/26, so I'd ideally wait until the end of March to give his Chase apps the recommended 3-month minimum spacing. My dilemma is this: The PIF date for our summer Africa trip is coming up, and it's the most expensive trip we've ever taken. I have a very generous credit line on my CSR, but it won't be enough to cover the full balance payment. I definitely want to earn 3x for every dollar of the balance payment on that trip. Right now in terms of paying off Africa, my gameplan is to hit DH's credit limit on his CIP first (since we aren't really using his CIP at all since now that I have my own CIP), then hit a good portion of the credit limit on my CIP (leaving room for eBay shipping fees since that seems like the only 3x category left on the CIP that we actually use), and put the balance on the CSR so we aren't hitting the full CSR CL and still have some flexibility to put dining and other misc. travel expenses on the CSR. What's niggling at me is the possibility of having DH apply for another CIP now (before cancelling his existing one and waiting a little bit) and being able to knock off the MSR in one payment by using that new CIP for the payment of part of our Africa balance. He currently has 3 Chase biz cards (CIP, CIC and SW Biz), so this would make a fourth for him under this SSN. I also don't want to risk a shutdown for him because his CIC is our only one currently, and it is our second biggest UR earning cow behind the CSR right now. So what does everyone think? Go for it? Is it it too risky that not only will he be denied, he'll also be shut down? Should I just go the conservative plan and wait until after I've used his CIP for part of our Africa payment, close it after its anniversary and then have him apply for another? At that point, I'm definitely less excited because I will need to come up with another way to meet that $5k MSR.
Shutdown risk concerns are all a function of how much a shutdown would affect you...for somebody at 4/24 with no future Chase plans it’s insignificant. For somebody at 1/24 with a ton of Chase runway it’s a much larger risk. You’re somewhat in between those two hypothetical people.

Applying for a new CIP would provide a tremendous reward in terms of points. With 3x PLUS the bonus and referral you’re looking at 115,000 URs for 5k spend. That’s truly amazing.

Risk of denial is there but means little to you. Risk of shutdown is even smaller but would impact your CIC which you identify as a major earner. Only you can weigh the reward of 115k URs vs the risk of losing a CIC to shutdown. Keep in mind that many shutdowns were reversed and cards were left open when it occurs.

I can tell you if it were me, I’d take the risk. But I’m not telling YOU to take the risk since only you can determine if it’s worth it. 115k URs is A LOT more than 15k though...A LOT MORE!!

I'm a wreck. Just discovered a disgusting growth on my 12-year old pup's ear. Can't get her into the vet until tomorrow:( I need this dog around for a few more years!

So sorry! Maybe a fatty tumor? My mom's dog had an ugly small black growth near his shoulder recently. I can't remember what the vet called it, but whatever it was was not a big deal at all. She just drained it some and said it's not pretty but it doesn't cause any problems. I just took a weird lump off my one-year-old horse's back too, so I know the feeling!! Turned out to be nothing but perhaps an old injury or weirdly grown hair.

And follow up, just to make sure, the 5/24 is counting all cards from any issuer. It's not 5 personal Chase cards, it's 5 cards of any kind that show up on your credit report (some business cards report to your personal CR - NOT Chase or AmEx, so yes, you can keep getting Chase biz cards as many as they'll give you :) ) With your comment about the 5 Chase cards just wanted to make sure your brain was in the right gear when churning. :)

FYI I just got this email from Mastercard.

masterpass.png

I only used Masterpass when it was running a promo (Plastiq and Starbucks are the only two I can think of).

I’d think your fine applying for another CIP. There are DPs of people getting a second with the first open and your just about 3 months from his last Chase card...if needed I’d lower CLs on existing cards to increase the chance of a instant approval

Shutdown risk concerns are all a function of how much a shutdown would affect you...for somebody at 4/24 with no future Chase plans it’s insignificant. For somebody at 1/24 with a ton of Chase runway it’s a much larger risk. You’re somewhat in between those two hypothetical people.

Applying for a new CIP would provide a tremendous reward in terms of points. With 3x PLUS the bonus and referral you’re looking at 115,000 URs for 5k spend. That’s truly amazing.

Risk of denial is there but means little to you. Risk of shutdown is even smaller but would impact your CIC which you identify as a major earner. Only you can weigh the reward of 115k URs vs the risk of losing a CIC to shutdown. Keep in mind that many shutdowns were reversed and cards were left open when it occurs.

I can tell you if it were me, I’d take the risk. But I’m not telling YOU to take the risk since only you can determine if it’s worth it. 115k URs is A LOT more than 15k though...A LOT MORE!!

Thanks! I'm leaning toward going for it but might noodle on it a bit more (at least for a few more hours, lol). I think his shutdown risk is pretty low, and a denial is no harm, no foul at this point. He should be fine on overall credit lines with Chase as a percentage of household income, so no advance legwork to do there. The risk of losing his CIC gives me pause, but I should be in position to apply for my own in late April (and very worst case scenario is waiting until Oct. to product change my own CIP to a CIC if for some reason I'm denied for my own). Plus, I'm hoping if he is shut down for some unexpected reason that we'd be able to get him reinstated. Knowing I've got this payment looming and how many more points I could get with a second CIP is just so so tempting...

Contemplating whether I want another biz card. I'm 5/24 until april or may. I can't do a MSR over 2k and already have DL and Alaska. I'm going to need Hilton and DL (flying to asia, yeah yeah I know but they have lot's of nonstops and it'll work better with my friend) so MRs would also be ok, I only have the one Amex. Looking more to get points than perks since the trip isn't until 2021. Any thoughts?

So sorry! Maybe a fatty tumor? My mom's dog had an ugly small black growth near his shoulder recently. I can't remember what the vet called it, but whatever it was was not a big deal at all. She just drained it some and said it's not pretty but it doesn't cause any problems. I just took a weird lump off my one-year-old horse's back too, so I know the feeling!! Turned out to be nothing but perhaps an old injury or weirdly grown hair.
I certainly hope it's nothing serious. I probably won't know until next week. But it's seriously nasty looking and I don't think it was there last month because the groomer would have seen it but it's already the size of a cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter