I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally :offtopic: but, I hope someone here will have advice. We are planning to drive to Lynchburg, VA tomorrow morning from the Baltimore area, leaving at 7:30ish. The route has us going around 495 and then taking I66 to Gainesville and picking up Route 29 to Lynchburg. We can't be late, LOL.
My questions are
1. Will 495 be too crazy on Saturday morning due to the Cherry Blossom Festival?
2. How is Route 29 through VA? Is it a restricted access 4 lane highway or will be be slowing down through every small town?

I’d try google maps and put in the time you’re leaving. Should give you a reasonable range. Then add a buffer. I drove from Richmond to dca last Saturday and google maps told me 110-150 minutes. It was three hours. And I only know 29 to C’ville. Once you’re south of there I’m not sure (I’ve never had any desire to go south of there!).

Totally :offtopic: but, I hope someone here will have advice. We are planning to drive to Lynchburg, VA tomorrow morning from the Baltimore area, leaving at 7:30ish. The route has us going around 495 and then taking I66 to Gainesville and picking up Route 29 to Lynchburg. We can't be late, LOL.
My questions are
1. Will 495 be too crazy on Saturday morning due to the Cherry Blossom Festival?
2. How is Route 29 through VA? Is it a restricted access 4 lane highway or will be be slowing down through every small town?

I’d try google maps and put in the time you’re leaving. Should give you a reasonable range. Then add a buffer. I drove from Richmond to dca last Saturday and google maps told me 110-150 minutes. It was three hours. And I only know 29 to C’ville. Once you’re south of there I’m not sure (I’ve never had any desire to go south of there!).

I know that 29 right outside of Lynchburg is a fairly big highway, but looking at Google Maps it looks like you go through some smaller areas. I don't see any stoplights from a brief glance between there and Charlottesville, but I imagine it is probably mostly 55 MPH zones.

I have done WAZE and Google Maps but I feel the Cherry Blossom Festival is a wild card. It's a Saturday and the weather is warm and the blossoms are peaking.... But I have never been there for that so I don't know how much it affects 495.

I know that 29 right outside of Lynchburg is a fairly big highway, but looking at Google Maps it looks like you go through some smaller areas. I don't see any stoplights from a brief glance between there and Charlottesville, but I imagine it is probably mostly 55 MPH zones.
I was hoping you had driven that road with your horses, lol

Well I've made my $2500 Disney payment and once it posts I'll cash out my 250,000 URs! After that, I will have cashed out 400,000 in URs for this trip, plus transferred 52,000 URs to SW for flights (which I was reimbursed in cash for by family for four of the six flights). I'll have 120,000 URs once my CIP SUB posts, plus I have $1875 in Disney GCs right now. That'll put me juuuuuust shy of paying the trip off, but I also want to add memory maker and Halloween party tickets, so I need to accumulate some more GCs for that.

I have done WAZE and Google Maps but I feel the Cherry Blossom Festival is a wild card. It's a Saturday and the weather is warm and the blossoms are peaking.... But I have never been there for that so I don't know how much it affects 495.
It seems like it shouldn’t affect it much but I’d allow at least six hours.

I was hoping you had driven that road with your horses, lol

Haha! No, unfortunately I've only driven a very small portion of it from right outside Lynchburg to get off on Route 130 to drive to a horse show in Lexington. It's been several years since I've been through there, but the highway looked almost brand new at the time.

Last edited:
DH is staying at a Hampton Inn in a little podunk town for a horse show. I booked him last night's stay and then he decided a couple weeks later that he wanted to stay a second night, but the rates jumped way up if I wanted to change the reservation from one night to two nights. So I booked him two separate one night stays in the same room type and told him just to ask if he could keep his room. I texted him just now to ask if they let him keep his room and he responded "Yes. I'm not giving up the jacuzzi." :rotfl: Apparently they upgraded him because of our gold status. There's no way he's gotten in that thing, but I thought that was pretty funny!

OUCH! :headache:
@amalone1013, let me borrow your hammer. :badpc:

United Eliminating Award Charts and Close-in Booking Fees - VFTW

United MileagePlus Abolishes Award Charts - OMAAT

United’s Award Chart is Extinct – Here’s What Awards Now Cost - TPG

I'm still digesting the news, but it's not good. MileagePlus redemption rates on United will be dynamic, and there will no longer be a minimum or maximum price for awards. Changes effective 11/15/19.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I wanna say some really bad words but I'm going to just borrow @amalone1013 's hammer as well :badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc:

I had us on track to have 320K UR on hand by September so that I could book business class for Australia. Sigh. I don't know if I should continue with UR-->United or switch to another idea.

Last edited:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I wanna say some really bad words but I'm going to just borrow @amalone1013 's hammer as well :badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc::badpc:

I had us on track to have 320K UR on hand by September so that I could book business class for Australia. Sigh. I don't know if I should continue with UR-->United or switch to another idea.

Tell my wife! She wants to fly Polaris in a 787 to Japan. We may have to slum it on ANA.

OUCH! :headache:
@amalone1013, let me borrow your hammer. :badpc:

United Eliminating Award Charts and Close-in Booking Fees - VFTW

United MileagePlus Abolishes Award Charts - OMAAT

United’s Award Chart is Extinct – Here’s What Awards Now Cost - TPG

I'm still digesting the news, but it's not good. MileagePlus redemption rates on United will be dynamic, and there will no longer be a minimum or maximum price for awards. Changes effective 11/15/19.

DISLIKE DISLIKE DISLIKE

Ugh, I'm expecting DH's 75K United Biz card miles to post in a few days, for whatever those are worth going forward. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter