• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one of my first birthday emails with free food offers came in. It's for Shula's and is a free entrée.

So, I decided to check the menu. And their locations, because if I'm not mistaken, they used to have one in Baltimore. And NYC (at the Westin in Times Square - we ate there one trip). Both gone.

So that leaves me with Florida where there are lots of locations, and of course one is in the Dolphin and I can easily get over there from Boardwalk. Maybe I'll do it - I have time to do it during my February trip. Plus this is the last of this reward type. They are going to a new rewards format after May.

Of course the $139 Australian Lobster is excluded as is the 48 oz steak dinner, but I can get a nice filet or a chicken dish for free.

Happy Birthday! I just got my email the other day as well. We did this one year for my birthday and also used the bonus gift card deal. It ended up not being too terribly expensive for the 4 of us. We ordered 2 steaks, appetizers, sides, and desserts. We had plenty and so yummy!!

Busy morning on the phone with Hilton today but I got everything straight for our Japan stays now! I earned my second free weekend night the other day and called this morning to have that applied to our second night at the Hilton Osaka, which meant a refund of 70k points. I didn't go online to check on hotel availability beforehand, just called and rebooked it with the weekend night. Of course, after I hung up and went online to check my reservation, I realized that there was now standard room availability at the Conrad Osaka!! Previously there had only been premium room availability, which I couldn't use my weekend night certs for. So, of course, now I had to call back to rebook there with my certs for a better value (95k points per night)! After getting one very rude Hilton rep and hanging up on here, I called back and got someone super nice who moved my reservations and certs to the Conrad Osaka for two nights! That's a 190k point value!

While I was on the Hilton website, I also noticed that the Hilton Tokyo Bay had dropped the points amount for the nights I was there by 4k points each night. I rebooked that and canceled my current reservation and saved 12k points!

So now my reservations are:

June 13-15: Conrad Osaka for 95k/night, both nights booked on weekend night certificates.
June 15-18: Hilton Tokyo Bay for 65k/night, down from 69k/night, in a King Park View room.

Best part is that DH still has 222k Hilton points!
Can you see your free weekend nights on the website? I thought I could before but now can’t find them. I should have 2 I need to apply to our California trip.

I haven't done anything more than a night here or there with UR and have never cancelled or changed. Just booked 4 nights for spring break at the Royal Pacific/Universal Orlando.
Here's some questions.
Should I continually be checking to see if the rates go down?
If I find a cheaper rate/pt value, do I make another reservation and then just cancel the original?
How soon do the points get put back in the stash?
If I use UR to buy Universal tickets and decide to not go for whatever reason, I'm guessing the tickets are not able to be canceled. Is this correct?
Thank you!
Yay, love the Royal Pacific! Now for your questions:
Yes, you can check to see if it goes down.
If you have enough URs you can book first, then cancel. I tend to use up my URs quickly and don't have enough to do that so I have canceled and then rebooked.
The points are put back quickly (as in minutes)
Correct, you are given a nonrefundable ticket voucher.

Last edited:
No, it won’t earn 3x or count for travel credit directly from Disney. Yes UCT works for both.

Thanks, that’s what I thought. Might save my credit for something else and try for a gift card purchase instead. I usually have longer to build up my stash and I’m used to holding out for a 20%+ discount.

• VQ (Virtual Queue) and BGs (Boarding Groups) should still be in effect then.
  • The big unknown will be what time the park opens. Currently it shows 9am BUT I'd say a change to 8am or 7am is most likely.
  • You're going to want to be at the park 30-45 minutes before it opens (so if 8am then you want to get to the gate by 7:15 most likely). Then IMMEDIATELY at Park Opening you will be refreshing your app to snag a BG. The quicker you are the better BG you'll get.
  • BGs might be gone within 15-30 minutes of park opening - at that point they move to "backup BGs" which have a lesser chance of actually getting on the ride.
  • If you're also trying to ride MFSR at rope drop you may want to show up 75 minutes before park opening and be near the front of the pack heading that way.
There's more nuanced information out there than this but I wouldn't worry about any of it until a couple weeks from your trip. Everything I'm telling you now could change tomorrow.

As far as what day to go to the park...I don't think it really matters. I guess I'd say Thursday since it is not Fri/Sat and it's further away from Pres Day...
Is it better to stay away from going on a day with extra magic hours? I just noticed that in March the day we were thinking of for dhs has them. I know things could change by then of course too.

Hi, all. Seems I only pop on here every so often when we need to figure out a new strategy. But I always get good advice, so here I am again! I just reviewed our credit reports and did some research, but I'd love any feedback on our next steps.

We haven't had a minimum spend bonus to work on for a while, but have taken several trips on "leftovers" from our previous go-rounds. We're squeezing out one more with the scraps of points/rewards/deals we can - driving from MN to WDW over our daughter's Spring Break in March. We've got 11 nights of (reasonably nice) accommodations for about $550 total (there's three of us), so I'm satisfied with that, given that we just decided to do this and don't have time to get new bonuses before booking everything. But we are literally cleaning out all of our rewards programs to make this happen. And, since we're hoping to upgrade our Disney tickets to Annual Passes (so $$$, ugh), we really need to pile up some more rewards to cover hotels and travel for at least one more WDW trip later in 2020. We are in MN and mostly fly Delta (though we tried out super cheap fares on Frontier recently and I would do that again for a short trip!). We both have the Delta AmEx Platinum Business and get annual companion passes. There are 2 adults and a 7-year-old in our party, so at least we can get one freebie out of that. But our Skymiles balances are minimal right now (less than 20K/each).

Looking to figure out the next card for both myself and DH. I'll start with DH. I'm thinking maybe the Chase Ink Business Preferred for him because of the 80K UR point bonus. He does technically have a freelance business - not very active, but legitimate. He's only had three new cards in the last 2 years - one in March 2019 and two in July 2019 (one of which is Chase). He has an existing CSR that we can transfer URs to. He is mostly using his CSR now for everyday spending. Oh, also, I am taking classes and have a $2K+ tuition payment coming up, so I could put that on whatever card he gets, if that changes anything.

For myself, I'm looking at maybe the Hilton Business AmEx with 130K Hilton point offer (we stay at Hilton brands fairly often when we travel). I already had the CIP and converted it to a Chase Ink Business Cash after a year to avoid the annual fee. I have had my own business in the past and could always start it up again, so that seems to work fine (at least w/Chase) to get a biz card. Not sure if AmEx is any different. I, however, have opened 5 cards in the last 24 months. The oldest two were both on 4/6/18 (double dipped Chase Sapphires). I got a Hilton AmEx (free, personal) in Nov. 2018, along with a Barclay Arrival + at the same time. Last card is a bank cash back card in March 2019. Thinking I would wait until May to apply, due to this (and that gives us time to hit DH's spend first). I am mostly using my Barclay Arrival+ for everyday spending right now.

I can go through more of our cards/info as needed, but I think those are the most relevant things. If you'd direct me to something else for hotel and/or flexible travel rewards to help with WDW trips, please share. I am pretty sure I applied for the Cap One Venture about a year ago and got turned down. But both our credit scores are over 800, no issues, just slow-paced churning.

One other question. As I reviewed our cards, I realized that my CSP is probably no longer necessary. I have the CIC and that earns URs. I transfer all my URs to DH's CSR. Would you recommend I do a product change on my CSP? If so, to what? Would love to be rid of an annual fee.

Thanks for any feedback and happy travels in 2020!
I am always a fan of a CIP - you could also get one and cross-support to one for the other spouse!

When you pull the trigger please consider using a DISchurners support link 😊

Also, PCing a CSP to freedom or freedom unlimited is a very common move!

Is it better to stay away from going on a day with extra magic hours? I just noticed that in March the day we were thinking of for dhs has them. I know things could change by then of course too.
They’ve been moving all AM EMHs at DHS to evenings. Nobody knows if that will continue but I would bet they’ll keep doing that...

If that happens then it won’t really matter to you either way.

I am leaving in one week on our trip to Aruba. Airfare all on AA reward points for our family and brothers. I think I have a pretty low risk of being locked or shutdown but it is still nerve wracking. I check my account every day and do the receipt trick too. So far everything is fine. Crossing fingers it stays that way.

What is the receipt trick? I checked dischurners and didn't see anything about it, although I'm very reddit illiterate so I could totally be missing it.

Hi, all. Seems I only pop on here every so often when we need to figure out a new strategy. But I always get good advice, so here I am again! I just reviewed our credit reports and did some research, but I'd love any feedback on our next steps.

We haven't had a minimum spend bonus to work on for a while, but have taken several trips on "leftovers" from our previous go-rounds. We're squeezing out one more with the scraps of points/rewards/deals we can - driving from MN to WDW over our daughter's Spring Break in March. We've got 11 nights of (reasonably nice) accommodations for about $550 total (there's three of us), so I'm satisfied with that, given that we just decided to do this and don't have time to get new bonuses before booking everything. But we are literally cleaning out all of our rewards programs to make this happen. And, since we're hoping to upgrade our Disney tickets to Annual Passes (so $$$, ugh), we really need to pile up some more rewards to cover hotels and travel for at least one more WDW trip later in 2020. We are in MN and mostly fly Delta (though we tried out super cheap fares on Frontier recently and I would do that again for a short trip!). We both have the Delta AmEx Platinum Business and get annual companion passes. There are 2 adults and a 7-year-old in our party, so at least we can get one freebie out of that. But our Skymiles balances are minimal right now (less than 20K/each).

Looking to figure out the next card for both myself and DH. I'll start with DH. I'm thinking maybe the Chase Ink Business Preferred for him because of the 80K UR point bonus. He does technically have a freelance business - not very active, but legitimate. He's only had three new cards in the last 2 years - one in March 2019 and two in July 2019 (one of which is Chase). He has an existing CSR that we can transfer URs to. He is mostly using his CSR now for everyday spending. Oh, also, I am taking classes and have a $2K+ tuition payment coming up, so I could put that on whatever card he gets, if that changes anything.

For myself, I'm looking at maybe the Hilton Business AmEx with 130K Hilton point offer (we stay at Hilton brands fairly often when we travel). I already had the CIP and converted it to a Chase Ink Business Cash after a year to avoid the annual fee. I have had my own business in the past and could always start it up again, so that seems to work fine (at least w/Chase) to get a biz card. Not sure if AmEx is any different. I, however, have opened 5 cards in the last 24 months. The oldest two were both on 4/6/18 (double dipped Chase Sapphires). I got a Hilton AmEx (free, personal) in Nov. 2018, along with a Barclay Arrival + at the same time. Last card is a bank cash back card in March 2019. Thinking I would wait until May to apply, due to this (and that gives us time to hit DH's spend first). I am mostly using my Barclay Arrival+ for everyday spending right now.

I can go through more of our cards/info as needed, but I think those are the most relevant things. If you'd direct me to something else for hotel and/or flexible travel rewards to help with WDW trips, please share. I am pretty sure I applied for the Cap One Venture about a year ago and got turned down. But both our credit scores are over 800, no issues, just slow-paced churning.

One other question. As I reviewed our cards, I realized that my CSP is probably no longer necessary. I have the CIC and that earns URs. I transfer all my URs to DH's CSR. Would you recommend I do a product change on my CSP? If so, to what? Would love to be rid of an annual fee.

Thanks for any feedback and happy travels in 2020!
Hi old friend! I miss seeing you around the Dis! I was actually thinking of you earlier today as I was reading through some Aulani TRs.

I think a CIP for your DH is a good choice. You probably already know this but URs can no longer be used for Disney hotels. 80k URs is still a nice bonus.

I don’t think you’d have any issues getting a biz card from Amex. And then maybe after that you can have DH refer you for a CIP and then you’ll have another 100k URs. The timing should work well for you to be under 5/24 after hitting the spends for DHs CIP and your Hilton biz.

Can you see your free weekend nights on the website? I thought I could before but now can’t find them. I should have 2 I need to apply to our California trip.
I don't think so. I got a Surpass this year and got my 130,000 points but that's all I saw. I called Hilton honors and was told it does not show online, and I had to call to use it. (And it expires in early October so I had it for months before I called to check on it.)

Then I got an email 2 days ago that I had earned it and it expires 12/31/2020 so I'm confused!

I haven't been able to before, but I wasn't sure if it was because they were just taking a long time to post in the case of the first one, and because I was booking so fast after received the second one. FWIW, I received my second cert on Dec. 26 and booked my room today.

So one of my first birthday emails with free food offers came in. It's for Shula's and is a free entrée.

So, I decided to check the menu. And their locations, because if I'm not mistaken, they used to have one in Baltimore. And NYC (at the Westin in Times Square - we ate there one trip). Both gone.

So that leaves me with Florida where there are lots of locations, and of course one is in the Dolphin and I can easily get over there from Boardwalk. Maybe I'll do it - I have time to do it during my February trip. Plus this is the last of this reward type. They are going to a new rewards format after May.

Of course the $139 Australian Lobster is excluded as is the 48 oz steak dinner, but I can get a nice filet or a chicken dish for free.
We just went to Shula’s tonight for dinner. It was ok. For the price we paid, I don’t think it was worth it. I don’t think we were be heading back there. Plus they don’t take DGCs.

I don't think so. I got a Surpass this year and got my 130,000 points but that's all I saw. I called Hilton honors and was told it does not show online, and I had to call to use it. (And it expires in early October so I had it for months before I called to check on it.)

Then I got an email 2 days ago that I had earned it and it expires 12/31/2020 so I'm confused!
I haven't been able to before, but I wasn't sure if it was because they were just taking a long time to post in the case of the first one, and because I was booking so fast after received the second one. FWIW, I received my second cert on Dec. 26 and booked my room today.
Doh! Now I remember, they send an email. Looked in the correct email folder and both emails are there. I will call tomorrow to apply them. Our trip is in June, FN expire in July.

We just went to Shula’s tonight for dinner. It was ok. For the price we paid, I don’t think it was worth it. I don’t think we were be heading back there. Plus they don’t take DGCs.

What did you order? I'm curious because my entrée would be complimentary, and I would probably have a smaller filet, a glass of wine and maybe a coffee to finish. I would not order the dessert or sides as they are huge and I would probably have no one to share with. I did not see any appetizer that really appealed.

They’ve been moving all AM EMHs at DHS to evenings. Nobody knows if that will continue but I would bet they’ll keep doing that...

If that happens then it won’t really matter to you either way.
Oh good! We are going to be making FPS in a couple of weeks. So, I wanted to have a tentative plan before then. I’m going to keep our dhs day as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter