I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know not many here have the Hyatt card but is/has anyone upgraded? I don't see much incentive to do it other thank the 2k in points for just a purchase. But the af is $20 more.

The original card is staying right? So I could upgrade, decide it's not worth it and then downgrade it or get a retention when the af comes due. 2k for $20 plus a small purchas seems good.

The only thing I'm interested in is the extra points for paying a gym membership but I don't think my gym let's you use a cc. When I joined it had to be a bank withdrawal. I'll have to ask. It's only 10 bucks a month anyway, yay planet fitness.

I didn’t upgrade, but applied for the new card. Finally got it in the mail today. It has been almost 2 weeks since approval. I think that is longest I have waited on a card. If anyone wants to apply for the new card I did finally get the ref link to work and is up on dischurners. Shameless plug.....

I had wondered if anyone found a good workaround for Planet Fitness. I hate the bank withdrawals. Only the new membership fee could be paid by CC.

Plastiq question... I have never used this, however I just found out my Mom signed up for a new Chase card while she was in a branch two months ago and didn't really care about the bonus since she knew she could not make the spend. However I figured she could use Plastiq to pay some student loans.

I found this following statement on a site "Payments made through Plastiq may be subject to a lower cash advance limit (typically ~20% of your total card limit). Your transaction will otherwise be treated with full rewards, and not incur any additional fees."

Do you still need to lower your cash advance limit first? Also any advice I can provide her on how to setup the payment for a student loan would be helpful too.

Just got my concert tickets for Nashville.

Looked at the Hyatt Downtown and they only had accessible rooms on points for the weekend, but I could book a regular king for just saturday so I did that. I might watch to see if Friday opens up, but if DH cant take the earlier flight we won't land until 11:30pm anyways so I might just do the airport Hyatt.

Quick DP - Just bought WDW tickets using UR. I called Chase travel and spoke with Candice. I told her I wanted to buy WDW tickets directly from Disney and not a third part. Less than 10 min later I got the confirmation # and was able to link to my Disney experience!:tigger:
I asked if it was possible to buy party tickets as well and she said it is! So in a couple weeks I will be calling her back and getting out Halloween Party tickets!:earboy2:
That was such an easy experience! I am very impressed!
Buy the way I just got those points deposited in my account last week! I guess I am a earn and burn them as fast as I can :moped:

Just got my concert tickets for Nashville.

Looked at the Hyatt Downtown and they only had accessible rooms on points for the weekend, but I could book a regular king for just saturday so I did that. I might watch to see if Friday opens up, but if DH cant take the earlier flight we won't land until 11:30pm anyways so I might just do the airport Hyatt.

Thats funny you just posted b/c I was just down in Nashville picking up DS8 from hockey camp. I was eating lunch with the other 2 kids killing time and across the street was a marriott springhill suites. I thought to myself, wonder if amalone ended up getting those concert tickets. lol I didn't even realize it was today!

Plastiq question... I have never used this, however I just found out my Mom signed up for a new Chase card while she was in a branch two months ago and didn't really care about the bonus since she knew she could not make the spend. However I figured she could use Plastiq to pay some student loans.

I found this following statement on a site "Payments made through Plastiq may be subject to a lower cash advance limit (typically ~20% of your total card limit). Your transaction will otherwise be treated with full rewards, and not incur any additional fees."

Do you still need to lower your cash advance limit first? Also any advice I can provide her on how to setup the payment for a student loan would be helpful too.

Which Chase card, and what’s the CL?

I think it’s always a good idea to SM Chase to lower the cash advance limit to the lowest amount allowed. It doesn’t take too much time, and once Chase has confirmed with you, the new limit is effective immediately.

Plastiq supposedly resolved the issue with its transactions coding as a cash advance on Visa cards months ago, but I haven’t tested or read what effect the new limits on Visa consumer cards have had on Plastiq payments. I believe depending on your consumer Visas (Plastiq posted a list when this change was announced), either you can’t use it on Plastiq, your payment will be limited to 20% of CL but not code as a cash advance, or it’ll have no effect at all. See https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes

Student loan payments are supported on Visa cards, but will incur a 2.5% fee. Most people tolerate the fee when using the CIP because the CIP earns back 3x UR on Plastiq, making it a small moneymaker. Some use Plastiq to help hit MSRs, where the reward is usually upwards of 10x. I wonder if it might not be more economical to use your mom’s Visa card to buy Mastercard Gift Cards (load $500 with a $5.95 fee is only 1.19%), load them into Masterpass, then make payments towards the student loan (or even mortgage!, since Mastercards can be used to pay student loans and mortgages) in $250 increments to take advantage of the current fee free promo til 9/30/18. See https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004303093-Masterpass-Promotion-

Ok so update- in less than a week I got 3 cards off my credit report! I thought it would take much longer. Thank you all for the advice. I confirmed with all the credit bureaus that they no longer see these cards. :thumbsup2 I am now at 3/24.

I also lowered my credit line with my Disney VISA so I should be all good to go there... I am way under.

SO... I still have time to possibly get the CSR before I have to book my rental on early next week. However, I am also fine to wait for the double dip. My latest dilemma though is that my refinance went through on my credit report and as a result, my credit score has dropped a little. I was in the 800's and now I am at 799. Experian says what is hurting my score is trying to get too much new credit recently (thinking that must be mortgage related... can't be the one CIP application?)

I am nervous to apply and get denied again. Should I wait a few more weeks and hope that my credit boosts back up or should I be ok to go for the CSR alone, or double dip in a few weeks? I am so ready to join the fun!!! But just want to be smart and not get denied again.

I am in the same boat. Applied for CIP and was denied because too much open credit etc. Last card I had on record was Chase Marriott Business in February but they looked at that. We had just closed on a refi so thinking that might play a part and the Rep mentioned our HELOC we had. (Which we just paid off). So, waiting for a few months for all the that to be off the credit reports and I just went in and lowered all my cards. Will reapply in a few months and hopefully will go through. I will also be able to double dip the CSR/CSP in January but may need to wait until I have more expenses to put on it. Have not tried any MSing on cards as of yet. So, all organic spend.

So going to be closing my SW in the next week or so...

But I applied for the Ink Business Unlimited last Thursday got the 30 day notice. And couldn't wait so I called their status line the next day...yep Friday the 13th...But I did find out I was approved :flower1: And got the card today :tongue: Now I can pay my insurance utility bills and a few other things...

I think I'll let this be my last business card with Chase...

I didn’t upgrade, but applied for the new card. Finally got it in the mail today. It has been almost 2 weeks since approval. I think that is longest I have waited on a card. If anyone wants to apply for the new card I did finally get the ref link to work and is up on dischurners. Shameless plug.....

I had wondered if anyone found a good workaround for Planet Fitness. I hate the bank withdrawals. Only the new membership fee could be paid by CC.

Are you meaning you can't pay your monthly fee with a credit card? When I was a member there, my fee always went to Amex PRG.

Thats funny you just posted b/c I was just down in Nashville picking up DS8 from hockey camp. I was eating lunch with the other 2 kids killing time and across the street was a marriott springhill suites. I thought to myself, wonder if amalone ended up getting those concert tickets. lol I didn't even realize it was today!
I splurged on the top level seats too. This will be my belated birthday celebration.0

The only thing I hate is that I thought I was just going for sale on the Symphony site but I ended up on Ticketmaster and I didnt get an extra points or get to use my new Hilton biz :(

An update on my incorrectly awarded Marriott Travel Package (transferred to United instead of Alaska). I was on hold for over an hour today and a supervisor filled out a ticket to have it corrected. He has to put it up the chain and I should hear something in 24-36 hours. They are supposed to call. Anyone want to give me odds on that happening? Anyway, they were very apologetic, but it's frustrating that it can't be instantly corrected. I voiced my concern that things would get even more messed up, and he assured me there were notes in my account.

Anyway, what are the current thoughts on using the floating certificates? Mine is a Category 6. I have two choices:
(1) Make a reservation with dates that I'm pretty sure of, possibly having to move a day or two back or forward
(2) Wait and hope that when August 1st hits, the Category 6 turns into either a Category 5 certificate or instant redemption of 75k+ points.

What would you guys do?

I don't have much advice but SPG lurker struck again, and still suggests attaching it to a reservation
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/90f27u/daily_discussion_thread_july_20_2018/e2qiufz/

He could be genuinely out for your best interest or he could be pushing it cuz it's easier for the program to not have to deal with them after (for the better or worse). This time he makes a distinction between "pre-defined category" certs and "floater" certs. So I'm now not sure what a floater cert is? I thought that meant an in general way to describe anything not already attached. But there must be something else out there. Are the pre-defined category certs just the one night freebies and the travel certs are the floaters? Possibly. If so I don't think that bodes well for the "equivalent points" for a N&F since his words are "to maximize their usage" by attaching them before the merger.

I haven't jumped over to the FT thread to read the full conversation before and after that comment, just what was on reddit.

Not a fan of the new SW card. I am an early boarding person, as I usually seek the exit rows for the additional leg space. I traveled quite a bit for work last year and earned A-list status, so I've gotten spoiled to being able to board early. I was hoping for an auto EBCI with this card, even if it had a higher fee.

I am in the same boat. Applied for CIP and was denied because too much open credit etc. Last card I had on record was Chase Marriott Business in February but they looked at that. We had just closed on a refi so thinking that might play a part and the Rep mentioned our HELOC we had. (Which we just paid off). So, waiting for a few months for all the that to be off the credit reports and I just went in and lowered all my cards. Will reapply in a few months and hopefully will go through. I will also be able to double dip the CSR/CSP in January but may need to wait until I have more expenses to put on it. Have not tried any MSing on cards as of yet. So, all organic spend.

We just opened a Heloc. I am very concerned about it affecting our ability to get new cards. We did both get a new card right after closing on it, my CIP and my DH got the new Hyatt, but I think the Heloc had not hit our credit reports yet at that time, so I am glad we got them when we did. Don't have plans to open a new card until Decemberish when I was hoping to get the SW card and a business SW. Hoping it will be OK to open then.

Are you meaning you can't pay your monthly fee with a credit card? When I was a member there, my fee always went to Amex PRG.

Nope, I can not pay monthly fee with card. I just found this:

The method in which members are able to pay for their monthly membership varies by location, but many Planet Fitness clubs accept payment through checking accounts only. We require an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) through checking accounts for your convenience: This allows us to be able to continue your membership without interruption or the hassle of updating your payment information if your credit cards are lost/stolen, invalid or expired.

So I guess it is location specific.

Correct, but the IHG cards are named Select and Premier. (i'd like to complain about too many cards, but that would kind of limit the game then...)

@hsmamato2 did you check if the cert was reissued as a 40k cap? if you upgraded to premier already not sure how easy it would be to get an unrestricted back, but if still select that should be easy to argue as a mistake, if that's what happened.
Interesting..... I'll have to call again. He did say it had the old expire date of march 2019... and no upgrade on the card

I know not many here have the Hyatt card but is/has anyone upgraded? I don't see much incentive to do it other thank the 2k in points for just a purchase. But the af is $20 more.

The original card is staying right? So I could upgrade, decide it's not worth it and then downgrade it or get a retention when the af comes due. 2k for $20 plus a small purchas seems good.

The only thing I'm interested in is the extra points for paying a gym membership but I don't think my gym let's you use a cc. When I joined it had to be a bank withdrawal. I'll have to ask. It's only 10 bucks a month anyway, yay planet fitness.

Planet Fitness is all bank withdrawal now, so far as I know. We got notice late last year/earlier this year(?) that it'd need to be changed so hubby tried to give them his debit card and they said no, had to set up with routing and checking #. He said no back and we're just waiting for them to stop the CC charge. The guy said they were going to stop in a few months but AFAIK the CC's still being charged. We're taking that 10 cents all the way to the bank :laughing:
(our location is not the most reliable, management changes constantly and they outright stole money from me. but since it's so cheap it would have cost me way more to pursue it than just put them on my sh*t list. unfortunately they're stupidly close and hubby needs certain machines that i'm not putting in my house, so he stuck with them and is just riding it out until they cut off the CC. then we'll try a new company)

I was wondering how long it takes to transfer points from SPG to Marriott? Also, is there any restrictions as to how many times you can transfer? Continuing on my nights/flights quest :goodvibes

My SPG biz stmt closed on the 18th, and I see the points in my SPG account today. So far no double points on my SPG points purchase, but luckily I gave myself enough buffer that I'm ok if I don't get them. Hoping they'll post in a few days though. The next step is waiting for my Marriott biz stmt to close and receiving my 75k point bonus and my base spend. I met the MSR several days ago so hopefully (fingers crossed) there isn't a delay in receiving the bonus. Hopefully I'll just squeak by in time to buy the N/F before 8/1.

Which Chase card, and what’s the CL?

I think it’s always a good idea to SM Chase to lower the cash advance limit to the lowest amount allowed. It doesn’t take too much time, and once Chase has confirmed with you, the new limit is effective immediately.

Plastiq supposedly resolved the issue with its transactions coding as a cash advance on Visa cards months ago, but I haven’t tested or read what effect the new limits on Visa consumer cards have had on Plastiq payments. I believe depending on your consumer Visas (Plastiq posted a list when this change was announced), either you can’t use it on Plastiq, your payment will be limited to 20% of CL but not code as a cash advance, or it’ll have no effect at all. See https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005215254-Visa-Personal-Card-Changes

Student loan payments are supported on Visa cards, but will incur a 2.5% fee. Most people tolerate the fee when using the CIP because the CIP earns back 3x UR on Plastiq, making it a small moneymaker. Some use Plastiq to help hit MSRs, where the reward is usually upwards of 10x. I wonder if it might not be more economical to use your mom’s Visa card to buy Mastercard Gift Cards (load $500 with a $5.95 fee is only 1.19%), load them into Masterpass, then make payments towards the student loan (or even mortgage!, since Mastercards can be used to pay student loans and mortgages) in $250 increments to take advantage of the current fee free promo til 9/30/18. See https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004303093-Masterpass-Promotion-

Its the CSP. I am not sure of the CL I will have to ask her. What is the lowest amount for the CA, is it $100?

Yeah its not the CIP/CIC so my plan of using Gyft is out the window. LOL. Tho not sure I could handle another Gyft experience and remain sane. She needs Disney gift cards but does not have a SAMs membership and won't hassle with too many steps, also prob for the same reason the Mastercard gift card thing won't fly. I did offer to pay some of my bills and send her a check but that wont account for all of her spend.

If she opened it 2 months ago sounds like you need to act quick to get more spend on there. The Plastic site was very easy and walked you through what you needed to do. It does say on there it will warn you if you will occur a cash advance fee, if you trust that. I didn't think to lower mine, but I have the CIP, so not sure if that is different. I did notice on my CIP bill my cash advance is set at $1800 and I paid a $300 dentist bill through Plastiq and no cash advance was made.

Do you know how much spend she has left and when it needs to be met? Maybe she could do a bank fund. I believe PNC and BMO were the easy ones with visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter