I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I put a deposit on a cruise, I could redeem 50k points ($500) against it. Then after accruing more points, I could make a payment & redeem points against a new charge? The transaction needs to be less than 120 days right, not the points are only good for 120 days? Just trying to make sure I understand
you can redeem for the 1st 500 but it takes a while to get enough to make that next $100 spend as you have to spend $5000 to get enough to make a $100 payment. 5000 x 2pts per dollar = 10000 pts or $100.00 credit available.

So if I put a deposit on a cruise, I could redeem 50k points ($500) against it. Then after accruing more points, I could make a payment & redeem points against a new charge? The transaction needs to be less than 120 days right, not the points are only good for 120 days? Just trying to make sure I understand

Correct, the transaction only stays on your list of eligible travel expenses for 120 days. After that time, you still have your points, but you can't spend any of them towards that expired transaction. @disneedee has a good point about keeping in mind how long it might take you to accrue the 10,000 points needed to redeem against a new charge. It depends on how quickly you think you'll rack up additional points.

In my case, if I have 50,000 points, I'll pay $432 towards my hotel bill, which earns me 864 points. Then I'll redeem 43,200 points to wipe away the $432 hotel charge and get a 5% redemption bonus of 2,160 points. This leaves me with a balance of 9,824 points. I'll make a second payment of $101 towards my hotel, which earns me 202 points. Once those points post, I'll have a total of 10,026 points, which I'll redeem towards the $101 transaction. I'll be left with 501 points in my account after I receive the 5% redemption bonus.

Correct, the transaction only stays on your list of eligible travel expenses for 120 days. After that time, you still have your points, but you can't spend any of them towards that expired transaction. @disneedee has a good point about keeping in mind how long it might take you to accrue the 10,000 points needed to redeem against a new charge. It depends on how quickly you think you'll rack up additional points.

In my case, if I have 50,000 points, I'll pay $432 towards my hotel bill, which earns me 864 points. Then I'll redeem 43,200 points to wipe away the $432 hotel charge and get a 5% redemption bonus of 2,160 points. This leaves me with a balance of 9,824 points. I'll make a second payment of $101 towards my hotel, which earns me 202 points. Once those points post, I'll have a total of 10,026 points, which I'll redeem towards the $101 transaction. I'll be left with 501 points in my account after I receive the 5% redemption bonus.
I'm planning for 2109, so looking at this as one option. Thanks for explaining thoroughly

Ok let me see if I've thought this through correctly. So I get the card, make 3k in purchase for the bonus, now have 56,000 points. Now I charge a $1000 cruise deposit on the card, now I have 58,000 points. Redeem 50k points, but get back 5% (2500). Added to the 8000 points left, I now have 10500 points for another $100 redemption, leaving me 525 points. Is that right?

Ok let me see if I've thought this through correctly. So I get the card, make 3k in purchase for the bonus, now have 56,000 points. Now I charge a $1000 cruise deposit on the card, now I have 58,000 points. Redeem 50k points, but get back 5% (2500). Added to the 8000 points left, I now have 10500 points for another $100 redemption, leaving me 525 points. Is that right?

Yep, you got it. The only thing I'd add is that you'll have to make another eligible travel expense of at least $100 in order to have something to use that last 10k in points on. The $100 travel expense would generate another 200 in points so you'd end up with 10700.

Yep, you got it. The only thing I'd add is that you'll have to make another eligible travel expense of at least $100 in order to have something to use that last 10k in points on. The $100 travel expense would generate another 200 in points so you'd end up with 10700.
Great! I'm thinking making payments on a cruise, and if I'm getting it all correct, I can make multiple payments with credit cards and can use Arrival Plus to make a couple payments.

Anyone have the phone number for Disney wholesale handy? We are less than a week from leaving and I changed our resort lol...SO, after the herculean effort I went through to get our conf number the first time, I need to get another number and don't want to be Hercules again :)

Just thought I'd share a mini travel hacking success. We are doing the Southern California: Disney Backstage, Hollywood and Disneyland Adventures by Disney trip next August. We plan to head down to SoCal two nights early to do a day at Universal Studios Hollywood. Reservations opened up a couple of weeks ago for the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, which is right across the street from Universal Studios. Anticipating wanting to make this reservation, I had gotten the Hilton Amex Surpass card with a 100,000 point sign-up bonus. When reservations for the hotel for our dates opened up, no points bookings were showing up so I went ahead and reserved a room just to have it. I chose a corner king corner room with sofa bed because we are a family of four. Cash cost: $811.52. I had called the hotel to find out about points bookings and was told those would likely open up in a couple of weeks. That was today. This morning, I booked a 2-queen room for 100,000 points for two nights (50,000 points per night) and cancelled my cash ressie. While I realize the two rooms aren't quite apples to apples, I'm still treating this as an $800+ savings from travel hacking. Plan accomplished :)
We stayed at that Hilton earlier this year. Location is great! We also booked a standard room with points and got upgraded to the corner king because of our status with the Hilton card. It's a great room! Hope you get upgraded too!

We stayed at that Hilton earlier this year. Location is great! We also booked a standard room with points and got upgraded to the corner king because of our status with the Hilton card. It's a great room! Hope you get upgraded too!

Thanks. I was thinking an upgrade might be possible due to the card and Gold status. Glad to know they happen!

***Never mind! Went through to check out the taxes/fees and it was more than the total for the room. ***

Last edited:
Question about Barclay's points (btw this last bit of the thread has been SO helpful!!) We have two cards, and each have about 56,000 points. I was planning to use them to buy park tickets.

A) Can I combine the points to one account, then use one card to purchase tickets and use the travel redemption?

B) Does anybody know for sure if ParkSavers will code as travel? They have deeper savings than Undercover Tourist. Thanks!!

So I got the 10x from Chase for my Walmart purchase on one card. Just wondering if I should give it a try for my other Freedom card. After seeing that it took a bit of time as well as reading how others are having issues with it, I'm not sure if I place the order today if there will be enough time for it to be posted by the 31st. Would hate to have to sit with $250 of gift cards that I didn't get the 10x points for...

I just looked at my dates on the Chase portal and found a room with half-board available too. I have no idea what this is. The taxes and fees would make it $150 more than my current reservation with Disney. Is that worth it for two people for three days?

I just looked at my dates on the Chase portal and found a room with half-board available too. I have no idea what this is. The taxes and fees would make it $150 more than my current reservation with Disney. Is that worth it for two people for three days?

If you are talking about DLP, half board is their dining plan. I think, though I would look into it more because this is going off my memory from research, that half board includes a quick service breakfast in the parks (pretty sure the voucher is only good in park) and then other qs meals, but I can't remember if it's lunch and dinner or just one. You would be best asking on the DLP board if that's a good price increase.

If you are talking about DLP, half board is their dining plan. I think, though I would look into it more because this is going off my memory from research, that half board includes a quick service breakfast in the parks (pretty sure the voucher is only good in park) and then other qs meals, but I can't remember if it's lunch and dinner or just one. You would be best asking on the DLP board if that's a good price increase.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The resort I am looking at is All Star Sports. I have not heard of the half board terms for Disney world.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The resort I am looking at is All Star Sports. I have not heard of the half board terms for Disney world.
I believe half board is the QSDP which is 2QS meals, 2snacks, and a mug per person, per day. So if you would normally spend more than $150 on those things then yes it's a good deal.

When I was looking it was going to cost me close to $500 for the same thing for me and 4yo ds for 4 nights. I know we wouldn't come close to spending that on food so it wasn't a good deal for us.

I believe half board is the QSDP which is 2QS meals, 2snacks, and a mug per person, per day. So if you would normally spend more than $150 on those things then yes it's a good deal.

When I was looking it was going to cost me close to $500 for the same thing for me and 4yo ds for 4 nights. I know we wouldn't come close to spending that on food so it wasn't a good deal for us.

Oops the fees are actually higher it would be about $300 more for me for the three nights. I called Disney they had no idea what the Half Board was so then I called Chase and she said it was Breakfast and Dinner at the hotel??? Pretty strange. For the price increase and me not being 100% sure it's the quick service plan I will just book a regular room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter