I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BUT I will say my time is now spent like 90-10 HERE because of how much more fun the discussion is. I love our little group!

Thanks EVERYBODY for making this an awesome place to discuss our hobbies (and other random things that intersect it like FIRE, budgeting, horse braiding...etc. lol!) I honestly was going to start listing names of everybody I love here but then I was thinking there's like 20 or more of you, lol!

I've been trying to go on the reddit churning sub this past week so I could learn more. BUT I just get so turned off there by how people treat each other and I don't really find myself wanting to read through the threads.

This group is so different...kind, welcoming, tolerant of OT chatter, helpful...like how friends are and how conversation amongst friends 'rolls'. And that is how I feel when I come into this thread; it's like I am among friends rather than random people online. I completely enjoy learning from all here and trying to help where I can and just sharing about whatever stuff we are up to with this 'hobby' :)

Last edited:
I've been trying to go on the reddit churning sub this past week so I could learn more. BUT I just get so turned off there by how people treat each other and I don't really find myself wanting to read through the threads.

This group is so different...kind, welcoming, tolerant of OT chatter, helpful...like how friends are and how conversation amongst friends 'rolls'. And that is how I feel when I come into this thread; it's like I am among friends rather than random people online. I completely enjoy learning from all here and trying to help where I can and just sharing about whatever stuff we are up to with this 'hobby' :)

I couldn't agree more!!! This is an AMAZING group. Everyone is so helpful and welcoming to new posters. We do go off on tangents at times but I think it is a way to get to know each other a bit better and a good thing. I have to admit I check in 4-5 times a day when I can to see what my friends are up to and what information they are sharing. I don't post often but read every post. I still feel quite new to the churning game. Well, off to work. Have a good day my friends.

what about Marriott Biz? I am thinkin about hitting both personal and biz at once...

edit: now theres a 120k Marriott Points. 12k spendings no AF, 7500 AU
or 75k Marriott Points. 3k spendings no AF.

tough choice... :|

Is the 120k personal or business? We are about to add a bathroom to our house so I bet I can hit that $12k quick.

Hi all! I am new to this thread, but love Disboards, Disney, and churning. I would love to earn enough for an Alaskan cruise ($12K!) in 2 1/2 years.

Right now, I do some mild card churning. I am currently working on 3 Delta Amex cards and a couple Amex Blue Cash cards.

I just discovered bank account churning last year. Made about $2K, although it was more painful than credit card churning.

Anything I am missing besides bank accounts and credit cards? A friend just clued me in on prescription transfers and that I could make about $25/month with that.

Any resources you could point me to for MS? That is something I have never done or really understood if it is worth it, but I recently funded a new bank account with $2K from my Chase and it got me thinking!

Hope this is appropriate for the thread- let me know if it isn’t!
Well, here's one thing.... keep looking for discounts on that cruise! we took a 'small' AK cruise last spring...it was 7 nights, Seattle R/T and a screamin' deal! We are 4 adults, one cabin, ocean view, BOGO deal- used 2 CSR card openings to reduce the cost by $900 after that, plus I think we got $50 onboard credit for booking where we did....total cost for an AMAZING week was like $900 before all taxes incl. for 4 people(those taxes always getcha lol) anyway my point is look to combine a discount price with cc options. (also used a free hotel night in port the night before,and airline travel points to fly into port for free) I've never cruised before,and I hadn't realized how good the deals can be for an all inclusive great vacation!

Can someone advise on the discover it? I'm thinking about this one just to change things up a bit

Wanted to chime in with appreciation for this group as well! At this point I'm pretty quiet, following along trying to learn all I can. If I would have come across reddit first, I would have been scared off for sure!
So far I'm loving this new hobby. Since September we've accumulated around 375k UR points...when we meet our spend on 2nd this batch we'll be around 500k and my credit score has gone up significantly. I'm so glad I came across this group! Thank you all!

Can someone advise on the discover it? I'm thinking about this one just to change things up a bit

I just got the Discover IT. It has 5x rotating categories. This quarter it is gas and wholesale clubs. IT will double your cash back for the first year, so it is really like getting 10% back. You will get 5x initially and then the other 5% after the first year.

Other categories later this year include groceries, restaurants and amazon.
It is a great cash back card if you shop the categories. And for the first year it is essential 2% back on everything else and there is no annual fee.

I just got the Discover IT. It has 5x rotating categories. This quarter it is gas and wholesale clubs. IT will double your cash back for the first year, so it is really like getting 10% back. You will get 5x initially and then the other 5% after the first year.

It is a great cash back card if you shop the categories. And for the first year it is essential 2% back on everything else and there is no annual fee.

They also have their own rebate portal - "Discover Deals." Anything you earn there will get doubled for your first year as well. Additionally, cash back can be redeemed for discounted gift cards at 10-20% off. We love our Discover cards!

I've been on FlyerTalk since 2010 and have exactly 23 posts, reddit since last year and have one public post as a DP when CSR came out. I feel the same way. I like everyone here and how helpful everyone is with one another. It is why I am completely open with everyone on this thread.

I couldn't agree more!!! This is an AMAZING group. Everyone is so helpful and welcoming to new posters. We do go off on tangents at times but I think it is a way to get to know each other a bit better and a good thing. I have to admit I check in 4-5 times a day when I can to see what my friends are up to and what information they are sharing. I don't post often but read every post. I still feel quite new to the churning game. Well, off to work. Have a good day my friends.

Have a good day too!

Wanted to chime in with appreciation for this group as well! At this point I'm pretty quiet, following along trying to learn all I can. If I would have come across reddit first, I would have been scared off for sure!
So far I'm loving this new hobby. Since September we've accumulated around 375k UR points...when we meet our spend on 2nd this batch we'll be around 500k and my credit score has gone up significantly. I'm so glad I came across this group! Thank you all!

That is awesome! Well done!

If you are Chicago based, you should get a United card, not American. United has great flights, direct to Hawaii from ORD. There's a couple different bonuses on the United cards right now (via Chase).
I see United has that, but for domestic united end up costing more for main compare to American. Their taxes make it more somehow or I am missing the times to check.

so...this card seems like a no brainer to get! right? I like cashback.... if I want the IT and the SPG biz, which should I go for first? I'd like to do them both quickly

My huge scare this morning: I received an email from Singapore Airlines telling me my flight was changed :scared1: The email stated I was now in a First Standard from JHK-SIN and Business standard from SIN-HKG. I called up KrisFlyer to explain this was so not acceptable because I'm thinking my aspirational suites flight is not happening. It was explained to me that First Standard is the suites (whew) but the SIN-HKG flight changed planes. Now after spending 500,000 KF miles (300,000 SPG, 25,000 TYP and 100,000 MR give or take) for this flight I was not about to slum it in business from SIN-HKG. So I asked if there was any other way to get me on a different flight in an A380 with suite availability. Naturally, I am hoping to get lucky and go from the old suites class ...

singaporesuites.jpg

to the new redesigned A380 suites class and get to experience both!

new singapore suite.jpg

No such luck. Anyhow, the folks at KrisFlyer are super helpful and nice and were able to get me on another flight an hour later and in the same double bed seats. Silver lining - more lounge time. No sooner did I hang up the phone I received the email with my new confirmation. Talk about a scare though when I read that email. I thought I was going to cry!

Last edited:
I see United has that, but for domestic united end up costing more for main compare to American. Their taxes make it more somehow or I am missing the times to check.

Taxes should be $5.60 for a domestic ticket, per person each way. That is for economy or business/first.

so...this card seems like a no brainer to get! right? I like cashback.... if I want the IT and the SPG biz, which should I go for first? I'd like to do them both quickly

It was a no brainer for me. After getting too many (never enough) Chase UR points, I researched cashback cards. It came down to the Amex BlueCash or Discover IT for me since I wanted a no fee card. The Amex Blue Cash was very appealing and I may still get it at some point. But I liked the idea of the rotating 5% categories and the doubling of cash back for the first year, so I went with Discover.

I cannot comment on which card you should get first. Part of that decision should be the rewards you are most interested in, I guess.

If you are a member of dischurners on reddit, please use one of the links there for any card you decide to go for. If you are not part of dischuners, consider joining - lots of information there too.

My huge scare this morning: I received an email from Singapore Airlines telling me my flight was changed :scared1: The email stated I was now in a First Standard from JHK-SIN and Business standard from SIN-HKG. I called up KrisFlyer to explain this was so not acceptable because I'm thinking my aspirational suites flight is not happening. It was explained to me that First Standard is the suites (whew) but the SIN-HKG flight changed planes. Now after spending 500,000 KF miles (300,000 SPG, 25,000 TYP and 100,000 MR give or take) for this flight I was not about to slum it in business from SIN-HKG. So I asked if there was any other way to get me on a different flight in an A380 with suite availability. Naturally, I am hoping to get lucky and go from the old suites class ...

View attachment 298423

to the new redesigned A380 suites class and get to experience both!

View attachment 298424

No such luck. Anyhow, the folks at KrisFlyer are super helpful and nice and were able to get me on another flight an hour later and in the same double bed seats. Silver lining - more lounge time. No sooner did I hang up the phone I received the email with my new confirmation. Talk about a scare though when I read that email. I thought I was going to cry!
Thanks for sharing love reading about all your travels! One day I’ll get the chance to fly in a suite at least that’s a goal :-)
Glad to hear it all worked out.

It is for me! I really enjoyed using it the first year since the bonus categories were 10% back. Also, unlike Chase they have released the entire 2018 quarterly bonus schedule so you can look at it and decide when the best time to obtain it is. Their categories are all very easy for me to utilize, too (warehouse, grocery, restaurant and warehouse/amazon this year).

I'd say if you know you have a big spend coming up knock out the spg then get the discover but it's really your call :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter