I made these Mickey Head Ornaments and tree topper!~Share what you've made.

This is seriously one of the coolest things I've come across on here!!! I've been looking everywhere for some cheap ornaments to take to put on our tree we're taking in December but couldnt find what I wanted. I was dying to get those Mickey head ornaments they have at the Christmas store but didn't want to pay that much, so these are PERFECT!!!!!!!! I'm going to try to make some this weekend!! I can't tell you how excited I was to find this thread!!!

That tree looks awesome!!!!!!!!

Question to OP: I've tried using spray paint on styrofoam before, but the paint eats away at the styrofoam......Is there anything special you used?
Thanks!
BTW: I went to Targt today and they're starting to put out their Christmas items. Some of their "specialty" lights are just AWESOME! The ones I liked the most were these silicone starbursts that had a multi-colored light inside, they were supercool.....

I just used a metallic based spray. Didn't have any issue with the styrofoam being eaten.

This is seriously one of the coolest things I've come across on here!!! I've been looking everywhere for some cheap ornaments to take to put on our tree we're taking in December but couldnt find what I wanted. I was dying to get those Mickey head ornaments they have at the Christmas store but didn't want to pay that much, so these are PERFECT!!!!!!!! I'm going to try to make some this weekend!! I can't tell you how excited I was to find this thread!!!

Thanks!!!!! That put a nice big smile on my face. Post pictures of what you made okay?

Very, very, VERY cute! Thanks so much for sharing the pics and the directions! I'll have to make these!

Ok I told you I was going to do this, and I finished them this afternoon! I was so impressed with what you did I had to copy. They were really easy, it was a bit difficult trying to get them painted easy, and I messed up the first few w/too much paint and spraying too close, but once I got the hang of it EASY, and I am NOT crafty. Excuse the pics from my camera phone...

orn2.jpg

closer up

or.jpg

These I actually bought sticks of balls on wire, and then just cut them apart and made the heads. VERY easy, they were super cheap at Michael's!

orn.jpg

And then the topper.

oo.jpg

Thank you again for sharing this idea, I NEVER would have come up with this myself. Oh and I also mentioned you in my PreTR, hope you don't mind!

Wow those turned out very nice. I'm glad you took this on and made it possible.

Just spreading the magic............:goodvibes

VERY CUTE!! What did you use on the little ones to get them sparkley?

Just like OP, yours look like something fresh out of the store :cutie: - Please post pics when you get the tree up:goodvibes

where do you find the little hanger thingy on top? sorry dont know the real name..and did you use glue or toothpicks for the ears...they really are pretty,i'm gonna give it a shot..

i just thought of another question...did you paint the styrofoam balls before you put them together or after they're already mickey heads???

I am having trouble with the spray paint eating the styrofoam. What kind of spray paint did you use?

i just thought of another question...did you paint the styrofoam balls before you put them together or after they're already mickey heads???

I painted them after I assembled them. I placed them on newspaper in the garage. I would spray a side, let it dry and then turn them over until all areas were covered.

I am having trouble with the spray paint eating the styrofoam. What kind of spray paint did you use?

I used KRYLON crafters spray paint. I just looked at the can and it said on the can, "safe for used with styrofoam".

Had I realized there would be an issue with the paint eating the styrofoam I would have posted this earlier

I love the ornaments and tree topper. I think I will make a tree topper for our tree this year! Thanks for the hint on the type of spray paint..I would not have thought of it.

Was the spray paint a glitter paint?

I love the ornaments and tree topper. I think I will make a tree topper for our tree this year! Thanks for the hint on the type of spray paint..I would not have thought of it.

Was the spray paint a glitter paint?

I originally started with gold. Then on a second trip to JoAnn's I saw they had glitter spray too and both that and made both.

The glitter spray doesn't spray evenly. I had patches where there was a ton of glitter. So, be careful. Then the glitter would stop coming out and only the color. I think I didn't shake the can enough.

where do you find the little hanger thingy on top? sorry dont know the real name..and did you use glue or toothpicks for the ears...they really are pretty,i'm gonna give it a shot..

I didn't realize I missed this question. I posted on page 1, post # 9 how I made this part. Very easy.

I just started making these, thanks so much for the idea!

I am making two for friends of ours as gifts they love Disney too. :)

I am using the smooth styrofoam balls (the ones that look like that stuff stereo euipment is packed in), and craft paint put on with a brush, and loose glitter I will put on with glue. Then I got some glitter glue I am going to write their last name with. I hope it works.

I just started making these, thanks so much for the idea!

I am making two for friends of ours as gifts they love Disney too. :)

I am using the smooth styrofoam balls (the ones that look like that stuff stereo euipment is packed in), and craft paint put on with a brush, and loose glitter I will put on with glue. Then I got some glitter glue I am going to write their last name with. I hope it works.

I hope that you would post a picture of how these turn out. I'd really like to see them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter