I Need A Green Thumb. I Think I Killed My Mom's Flower...

AKL_Megs

DIS Veteran
My parents are out of town so I am "plant-sitting" my mom's potted flowers. I have a whole assortment here, and all of them are doing just fine except for this one Gerbera Daisy. It's in really bad shape.

I had all of the flowers in direct sunlight, but then this rabbit that lives around our apartment complex came by and decided to eat most of the flowers off of this particular Gerbera Daisy and another red one that I am watching :sad2: , so I moved them to higher (and scarier) ground (the front stoop of our building) so now they only get indirect sunlight. It's been really, really hot here (sunny and in the 90's even into the night with no rain) so I have been watering them every evening when I get home from work. Like I said, the other flowers are doing just fine, except for this poor pathetic Gerbera Daisy...

Image001-1.jpg

As you can see, it's all wilted. The soil is really, really saturated with water from two nights ago (I didn't water it last night), even though it's been in direct sunlight all day today in the 90 degree weather. The flowers and foliage are very soft and flexible to the touch.

I don't know if I've been over-watering it or under-watering it or not having it in the right sunlight or what. :confused3 I don't know if I can bring it back to life or not, but wonder how I can if it is possible. My parents come home Saturday, so I have five days to work with!!! I'm hoping there is a Green Thumb out there who can help me get this poor flower on the road to recovery

Aw, hon, that's so sad! I don't hold out too much hope for it.
First, you've lost the flowers, so cut them off.
It looks like it probably got dried out one day, then saturated the next. This is not good.
Let it dry out, but keep it out of the direct sun for a while. If there's any hope of life, you don't want to stress it too much.
Does the pot have drainage? Is it a pot within a cachepot (with no holes on the bottom)? Is there standing water in the pot? That has to be remedied, if the water can't drain out, the roots will drown.
If the plant dries out some, and some of the little leaves in the center start to look like they'll recover, try giving it a feeding to help it along...but DON'T overwater again. The roots need to regrow.

Honestly, 5 days isn't enough to get the plant looking good again. You might consider replacing it...maybe they won't notice.

Aw, hon, that's so sad! I don't hold out too much hope for it.
First, you've lost the flowers, so cut them off.
It looks like it probably got dried out one day, then saturated the next. This is not good.
Let it dry out, but keep it out of the direct sun for a while. If there's any hope of life, you don't want to stress it too much.
Does the pot have drainage? Is it a pot within a cachepot (with no holes on the bottom)? Is there standing water in the pot? That has to be remedied, if the water can't drain out, the roots will drown.
If the plant dries out some, and some of the little leaves in the center start to look like they'll recover, try giving it a feeding to help it along...but DON'T overwater again. The roots need to regrow.

Honestly, 5 days isn't enough to get the plant looking good again. You might consider replacing it...maybe they won't notice.
Thanks! I think I am going to give up on it. It's still just as sad today. I'll end it's misery and maybe go out and find a flower to "welcome my parents home" that my mom likes more than the daisy, and maybe she won't notice... :confused3 :rotfl: ;) Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter