I need to do Disney on the cheap

S

SpottyDog

Ok, I've had enough! The thought of not goin back till Nov 2003's doin me head in so I told the wife last night we'd go back next March as long as we can do it on the cheap this time.

Since she's determined to do the Osborne's, that'll be two trips in a year (and certain bankruptcy) and I can see that Annual Passes will make a saving there. So I want all yer money savin and penny pinchin ideas to make V's dream come true and make at least a feeble effort to stay solvent(ish). It'll replace all the stuff we lost in the crash, anyway.

I know loads of yers book cheap flights - but how. And if goin via somewhere else is cheaper- which route?

We've always booked an all-in package before. Which bits should we do ourselves and how much will I save?

That sort of stuff, please.

Ta.

start with checking out the teletext for charter flights we had the same problem can we cant we afford it so after checking out teletext page 222 i managed to get really cheap flights leaving glasgow aug 22nd for 2 wks for £289 each thats with thomas cook (orchard travel) then check out some good hotel sights on line eg weeklytop10-orlando.com, hotelkingdom.com,hotelmartusa.com.valuetrips.com ect ect best of luck hope this helps .
ps also try travelcitydirect on teletext and ask for any flight allocations

I knew it would get you in the end! All this talk of "What do you do when you don't do Disney?" Knew it couldn't last! ;)

We always book separately, but I'm not the best person to help you with 'cheap'. Although we always try to get what we do book as cheaply as we can find it, we have quite a few things we won't compromise on, e.g. must be a Virgin or BA flight. And we always book the car directly with Dollar, because dh is fussy about what car he has (they use Chrysler and Dodge), but it definitely isn't the cheapest way of doing it. I'd be interest in hearing of cheaper ways to book Dollar cars, guys.

We have APs for WDW and US. Fiona R posted a thread about the AAA price of $99 for US recently. We have found that we seem to get the best deal on flights by 'phoning around at the 11 month window (for scheduled flights). So now really! My advice is to just phone everywhere until you find the cheapest - it won't always be the same place. In the past we've used Virgin Travelstore, Flightbookers and Expedia. And ask for quotes for flights only and fly-drive - sometimes the fly-drive price works out cheaper than flights plus separate car hire, sometimes it doesn't. We've found that we get better quotes by phone than online.

Not really much practical help from me, but I just wanted to join in your excitement!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Morning Dave,

I've not found any flights/flydrive cheaper than Eclipse (which is the direct selling arm of First Choice) - Air 2000 usually. However, for March next year they only go from Gatwick or Manchester - 27 Feb to 2 April £329 from Gatwick and £315 from Manchester - 2 week flydrive. To Sanford of course.

When you mention the Osbornes - is that the lights in MGM around Xmas time? 28 November to 11 December Gatwick £319 and Manchester £299 for two weeks. One week is cheaper by just the price of the car hire for one week - 4 door compact £16.

Their brochure request line is 08702 432 432 (ask for their Flights brochure - they do all sorts) and their booking line is 08705 329 326.

Also I have always found booking a hotel direct is cheaper than a package, although I know that some people have not found this. Perhaps I have missed the bargains!

I take it you have remembered about the car insurance with NatWest and/or Amex. Or may be it was you who suggested it in the first place. Sorry, if it was.

ROFLOL

I've been reading your trip reports and posts and it did look like there was some sulking/depression going on about not going back until 2003.

Being psychologist type person I was giving you another two weeks before you started planning but obviously the crisis came sooner!

Why don't you stay offsite? We've got two weeks booked in June for £2800 with 4 scheduled flights, condo at Wyndham palms, car hire, insurance, orlando flextickets, airport carparking, one night in Heathrow and one night at MCO hotel (cos of late flight).

All booked seperately.

Scheduled flights can be lousy times if you are making a connection in US but they mean you go through immigration at your first stop rather than in Orlando - so it's straight through the airport at MCO. Also loads more leg room on planes. Also because of late flights you sometimes have to go a day early! Oh dear.

BTW stop looking for cheap deals and get on with your reports I want to know what happens next, I've already read the ones you posted last night.

Karyn xxx

Dave, We got flights from Glasgow for £230 this Feb with Icelandair, The flights were fine and didnt have to check in at Glasgow until 11 am so you could drive up that morning! It means you get there pretty late though. We would certainly use them again. Continental are pretty reasonable too - change in Newark.
Try www.opodo.com or maybe co.uk? they are coming up with some good prices although I havent looked for March.
Happy hunting.

Like your style Dave - you old softie!! :D :D

Will you be looking for on site or off? A villa may be a good alternative as a cheaper option?

Cant help with much else but will put my thinking cap on :D

Dave,

We had same " problem " Dec 2000, just about had the money for a trip but not for a package ........ so we booked it all seperate, like deb I like my favorites so here's what we did.

Flight - expedia - virgin departing 1st dec returning 10th cost £219 pp ( but if we booked when we first seen it £199)

Accomodation - virgin holidays - if you book a flight thro with virgin atlantic (with any travel agent) you can book accomodation thro virgin holidays for the "extra night price" in their brochure.
We booked 4 nights in Wyndam Palace at Downtown Disney £ 472 then 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge( our favorite - just had to go there at Christmas )thro Disney Club can't remember exactly but got a great price.

Car - dollar - thro www.floridacarhire.com, great dollar cars but incredible price.

Park Tickets - had bought annual passes in august for trip in march so got great value using them 3 times !

grand total came to around £ 850 - £ 900 per person - remember both hotels 5 star, one @ downtown the other in disney, so this could be done much cheaper if you want.

We had a great holiday - weather in 80's, parks very quiet and I reckon we saved about £ 600 or £ 700 per person. It took about a week of stress to book it all thro all the different places but it was well worth it ....... hope you succeed, and have fun !!;)

David:)

Dave I always book a my villa from our local ad mag, then I ring round and book flydrives, but I like to fly Virgin.Page 222 on itv text only do Florida and usually have some good bargains
This year the Villa I have booked is owned by someone a couple of miles from us, and I booked my flydrives with Virgin Travel Store, I got 10% discount for early booking.

Dave, Airline Network sometimes have pretty reasonable flights and accommodation, and although the flights are schedule you often only pay a deposit only at the time of booking. You then pay the balance 8 weeks before departure. Now if you are really brave you could try Priceline. Carolyn

Scotfan - I see that you flew Icelandair the other month. We stay in Livingston and are checking out prices for a possible 7 day trip in December and Icelandair are certainly coming in the cheapest. What were your thoughts on the flight? Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

A suggested stategy that I have used before with some success, particularly if you are planning to go at a busy time such as school holidays is:-

1) Book Flight as early as possible many are bookable around 11 months out

2) Book hotel that can be cancelled with no cost, this way you can be sure of accommodation whilst you look for bargains nearer the time.

For flights I have used the following in the past:-

www.faresavers.co.uk
www.usairtours.co.uk
Expedia

Direct bookings for good but not too expensive hotel chains in Orlando
www.choicehotels.com
www.hawthorn.com

I have also heard of people getting really good hotel rates using an Entertainment card which is available at www.entertainment.com. You can book without having a card but need it at check in. Be aware that the current card & book expire at start November 2002 so if you go this route you'll need the 2003 edition when it comes out.

Dave,

Blimey, mate.........back for 3 seconds and already post WDW depression has set in!!

How to do it cheap.............well, you know me, mate ...it's cheap or nowt.

In 2000 we flew out late November ( weekend following Thanksgiving ) and caught both Osborne Lights and the Christmas decorations at WDW and Universal ...brilliant.

If you're really determined about the above then you need to book up for ASAP after Thanksgiving week, the parks are ultra quiet then, a big bonus. Try Holiday Hypermarket on Team Valley.........we got our last flights ( October 2001 ) plus car hire and insurance there, and it came to under £1200. Are you prepared to stay off-site??....'cos i know you love ASMo..........We rented a 4 -bedroom villa with pool for £50 a night, if you're happy with 2 or 3 bedrooms you'll score for about £40 a night. The villa was excellent and within 15 minutes to WDW.

So, including car insurance, flights and accomodation you should get away with under £2000 IF you're prepared to stay off site, maybe cheaper if you're flexible on dates.

It would certainly be teaching yer granny to suck eggs if I tried to advise you about tickets and eating out!!!!!!!........so i won't!!!!

If you want some details on getting villas you know where I am, mate.

mike

Hi Dave

Have to admit we felt the same this year. (we planned on going next Easter) When it got to Feb we gave in and rung our usual agent "Travel City Direct" (0870 990 4826) who have always come up with the best prices for us.
This time however they didn't seem that good so we tried some places on the 'net.
Cheapestflights.co.uk (0870 753 7990 (Spoke to Ian Lazarus)) got us a fantastic two week deal flying AA from Manchester via Chicago for £289 (Adults) & £179 (Child), An I4 car (Dollar) for £318 fully inc. and a 3 bed, 2 bath Villa with pool at Hampton Lakes for £698. So thats all 4 of us for just 2K.
They also matched the cheapest price we could find for the theme park tickets (£135 for an adult 5 park Flexi ticket)

We go this Saturday and can't wait. :sunny:

Hope this helps.

Paul :)

Two years ago Brenda & I went in March, the first time we have been on our own without the offspring. We flew with Airtours from Newcastle but didn't book till 3 days before we went. We paid £251 each for Flydrive (ins £169 extra). We booked direct with Airtours and started to try and book the flight as far back as November (4 months earlier). The price then was around £500 so we decided to wait and keep an eye on the prices. By February the price actually went up to £550. I kept phoning up every week but the price didn't budge. I telephoned on the Monday (before we flew on the Friday) and the price was still £550 and I was told there were only 6 seats left the plane. I telephoned again on Tuesday and the price dropped to £301 but now only 4 seats left. They also offered us £100 off the car insurance so we booked at that price. The total was £602 for the flights plus £69 for all inc car ins/taxes. We only went for 1 week, the price for 2 weeks was £50 cheaper but we didn't have any more holidays to take.(I know we should have gone on the sick!!)

The flight was full and as it was the only flight from Newcastle during the Winter we were happy with the deal but it was nervewracking not knowing whether we were going or not for a long time.

We always stay offsite either in Timeshare or private villas. At that time of year you can rent a superb villa for around £400 per week or an apartment for less than £300. Checkout the Private Villas Brochure, there are hundreds of villas in there. I can also give you a contact in Chester le Street who rents out Villas in Kissimmee, we stayed in one of his last year.

We eat out most of the time but when we fancy eating in we go to Publix Supermarkets to stock up on food and drink. You can get three days supply on what you would spend on a meal for four in a restaurant.

Hope this helps

21 days to go and counting
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information. This 'll keep V quiet fer weeks while she trawls through all the links (I hope ;) )

Lookin forward to reportin back when the research's done.

Dave,

I have nothing useful to add,I just wanted to say I was wondering if you would crack;) I know I did:) I couldn't wait my usual two years and am going this October for the first time a year after the last holiday not two!

Is it essential you stay onsite? I remember there were some brilliant prices on MouseSavers last year for ASMO if you quoted a code found on there.I quess that is well over now?

Hi Dave
I have to go during school holidays so have not been able to take advantage of really cheap flights but we have had some good deals through Trailfinders www.trailfinders.co.uk
I would definitely recommend using Priceline for your accommodation. We have had some great hotels from them for rock bottom prices. They also do car hire and flights but I have never used them for these.
Good luck
Tracy

......... Have nothing very useful to add to all the excellent advice, except ...... I hear you ........ and I understand - it just didn't take very long before those post Florida blues set in ;)

For May, we held out on our airfares until they came down and our best deal was a BA flight with Virgin Travelstore - yes, they do sell other airlines. It was cheaper to book on-line than call - they did not charge for CC on-line or P/P and the tickets arrived two days later. Since we were rather specific with our dates, we couldn't get a good deal for the charters for a week.

It's a great mission to be on :D and I wish you well with it :)

Shirleybob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter