I never saw Avatar, so........

Watch it before you go?

That's a radical suggestion...

It is a good movie, and visually dazzling. We're going to watch it again before we go, to remind ourselves about the source material.

It's actually a pretty cool experience when you watch a movie and then you see the same thing right in front of you in the theme park! I had that feeling when I went to Cars Land, and the Potter lands at Universal.

I never saw it either, and have zero desire to. Yes, go enjoy the rides and take them in. FoP is a fun ride even not knowing who the characters are. NRJ is also neat to look at.

It's also been at least 30 years since I've seen Pan (and I didn't like it then), don't remember the last time I saw anything with Pooh, last saw Little Mermaid 15+ years ago, etc...but still very much enjoy the rides.
Exactly.
What is it about Avatar that makes this come up so much more than any other movie? You rarely hear/see people ask
I have seen Winnie the Pooh movie, will I understand that ride? Or same for Dumbo and Pete's Silly Sideshow or any number of other lands/rides.

I asked my son what I needed to know about Avatar to appreciate Pandora. He said "Think 'Ferngully' in outer space".

I found you really don't need to know much about the movie to enjoy the rides.
I see that so often. I do wonder, have more people seen Ferngully than Avatar?
I mean, we have, we are huge Ferngully fans. We even picked music from Ferngully when we were choosing some music for one of DD's solo dances years ago.
I never even connected the two movies until folks here started two, strangely.
But I sure never thought of Ferngully as a popular cartoon. Wasn't a blockbuster, that's for sure.

A friend said she and her family had never seen it but she did not care at all - she thought it was "the most amazing ride I have ever been on" and she's been on everything at Disney and US.

What is it about Avatar that makes this come up so much more than any other movie?
I think it's because it isn't just one ride. It's the whole section of the park. We'll probably see the question arise again before Galaxy's Edge opens - "What Star Wars movie(s) should I watch so that I'll appreciate the new land? I've never seen any of them."

Exactly.
What is it about Avatar that makes this come up so much more than any other movie? You rarely hear/see people ask
I have seen Winnie the Pooh movie, will I understand that ride? Or same for Dumbo and Pete's Silly Sideshow or any number of other lands/rides.

I can't speak for others, but the reason I asked it is because it is an entirely different land with different creatures. Pooh and Dumbo are on earth and although there are no "real" talking Teddy bears, Piglets, etc. or talking and flying elephants, at least those bears, pigs, and elephants do exist.

I can't speak for others, but the reason I asked it is because it is an entirely different land with different creatures. Pooh and Dumbo are on earth and although there are no "real" talking Teddy bears, Piglets, etc. or talking and flying elephants, at least those bears, pigs, and elephants do exist.

I totally agree with you and feel the same way. Also, some people just get more enjoyment on knowing the back history while others could care less. It's all personal preference.

I can say that while I have not been yet (next week!!!!!), watching Avatar did get my kids REALLY excited about going on FOP. And even DH, he can't wait to see how they have recreated the landscape from the film. Now he wants to go back at night, too.

I see that so often. I do wonder, have more people seen Ferngully than Avatar?
I mean, we have, we are huge Ferngully fans. We even picked music from Ferngully when we were choosing some music for one of DD's solo dances years ago.
I never even connected the two movies until folks here started two, strangely.
But I sure never thought of Ferngully as a popular cartoon. Wasn't a blockbuster, that's for sure.
I don't know. I had asked my youngest son the question and he's the one who replied with the Ferngully reference. We have Ferngully (we got it for our older children when it came out) and it was released before he was even born. I was surprised he knew the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter