• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I recently had my 4th solo trip !!

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
I had such a fantastic time ! The more solo trips that I do, the more I get used to gabbing with *everyone* in line.

I stayed at The Swan for the 2nd time. I had a renovated room with a balcony. Everything was perfect except that the lock was broken on the balcony sliding door. I still felt secure enough, because I was on the 6th floor. I did not complain about the broken lock, but I did make a note of it in the evaluation questionaire. Those new beds are really heavenly !

If you have any questions.......fire away !

I was solo at DISCON. It was my 4th solo trip this year and like you, I just love touring the parks solo.

I was at the Dolphin because I prefer their king rooms but I heard lots of raves about those "heavenly" beds at the Swan.

Welcome back.

What places did you eat at solo this trip? I just took my fifth solo trip, and it does seem that the more solo trips you take, the more enjoyable they become (starting with the first solo trip being very enjoyable and yet it gets better). Didn't you used to stay at POR? Just curious, why do you prefer the Swan?

welcome back:D glad you had a good trip. i feel better every time someone posts about their great solo trips, as i'll be going solo for the very 1st time this spring:eek: i never ever thought about going solo before...but since losing my dh to cancer almost a year ago, and since ds and dd aren't able to go right now, i've decided i am going to do this. wdw is the last place dh and i had a vacation together, and it was our very 1st trip to wdw. our dd came too and we had a wonderful time. dd and i went together last may. i think i am mainly worried about meals. i really want to eat at least 1 meal a day in a sit down restaurant. were you solo for any sit-downs? any favorites for this? i would also like to do a character dinner and breakfast., but am worried i'll feel uncomfortable. i plan on bringing a diary and a book to read. any other suggestions?

katypop

nativetxn, I was one of the
people at the Prime Time Cafe when we had a DIS meet on Dec. 5th. I was at the other table for 10 at the same time you were seated. I had such a great time !!

Simba's Mom, you have a good memory!
I will always love POR, the room decor in the AB section is my very favorite.
However, I choose The Swan last year, and this year mainly because of the closeness to Epcot. Also, in the parks, the bus stops for POR is the farthest away! That makes a big difference to me when I'm SO tired after a day in the parks. I'm not getting any younger, here
( I'm 49 ). LOL !
I was also able to get the gov't discount, which is a huge plus. I probably would NOT stay there unless I had that discount.

Katypop....I am not interested in too many sit-down restaurants....except for breakfast. I always have a huge appetite for breakfast. Almost every breakfast, I had in the Swan, at Coral Cafe. I LOVE a buffet breakfast ! It usually means that I won't need a lunch.
This was a really great breakfast. I just brought with me my tiny notebook, and my park map of the day. I was seated reasonably close to the buffet, so I felt OK with leaving all my stuff at the table as I got my food. I did have one breakfast at Yacht Club Galley, and I found it was not nearly as good as I remembered it from a few years ago.

One thing to remember...If you have a meal by yourself, ALWAYS go to the bathroom just before you get seated.
If you go DURING the meal, you run the risk of having your table cleaned off for someone else to sit there. I learned that MANY years ago. LOL !

Katypop--2 of my favorite sit-down restaurants for solo-dining are the SciFi at MGM and 'Ohana at the Poly. There is always something going on or something to watch. (A real treat for me is dinner at the Coral Reef. It's pricey, but the food is wonderful and the view of the fish is awesome!) I never feel uncomfortable at all. The CM's have been great, too, and usually chat a little. I also like lunch at the Portobello at DTD if I can sit outside and leisurely dine and watch the water activity.

I did one character breakfast at the WL I got lots of attention from Eeyore and Tigger! It was fun! ;)

Solo trips are great!

I second that for Sc-Fi in MGM !
Two vacations alone I went to Sci-Fi and it was wonderful. I asked to have a whole car to myself, but they would not do that. instead they gave me the rear table of a three table "car". To my surprise, this didn't make me feel un-comfortable at all.

I leave in 40 days for my 5th SOLO trip also. Can hardly wait!;)

Claudia, thanks for the washroom hint LOL. i never would have thought of that...but i can see how it might happen!

MdmMim thanks for the suggestions, i have been to the SC-FI and although it was fun (rest of the family loves horror/sci fi movies) it is not really my "thing" LOL :rolleyes: i think coral reef might be a good choice though, expensive, but i'll only be paying for one this trip, one nice thing about going solo i guess.:D

Poohbear123 , i wish i were going in 40 days. i'll be looking forward to reading your trip report.:D

katypop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter