I think I may need a wheelchair

disneymom3

<font color=green> I think I could adjust!! <br><f
I have issues with my knees. Every medical professional says I have crepitation which is causing weakness and a lot of pain on and off. Right now it is very on and we leave in 12 days. I do not want to slow my family down to a crawl or a not walking anywhere therefore sitting on a bench mode, but at the same time, I don't feel that I have a specific disability and would worry that the parks may run out of wheelchairs etc.

Do they have a lot? Has anyone who cannot do without one ever not been able to get one?

I just want to balance the needs of all involved. Mainly I want a second opinoin about surgery, but I am not getting that until after our trip!

They do have quite a few wheelchairs, so unless people go during the busiest times of the year, they usually don't run out of wheelchairs.
If you are staying at a WDW resort, you may want to see if they have a wheelchair to lend (check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread for more information).
You might also want to look into renting an ECV (motorized scooter). That would allow you a lot more independence and no one would have to push you.

Thanks Sue. DH suggested an EVC but I am afraid I would run over little children with it. Quite possibly my own! (That would actually be best if you have to run some over, I guess!!) Maybe I should practice at Walmart.

We are not staying onsite, but have requested a ground floor or elevator access building in the resort we are at.

Has your doctor mentioned Synvisc? Its an injection that cushions bad knees and helps relieve pain. Its not a cure, but does give you some more "mileage" from your knees until you can take more permanent measures, such as surgery. My firend's mother had several of those injections until she was able to plan a knee replacement. worth talking to your doctor about, or do a Google if your doctor isn't familiar with it.

Sadly, my doc seems to be an idiot. After he told me to go to physical therapy instead and the PT told me that what we were doing was not going to help with the pain, just make my legs stronger and after I talked to two of my sisters and a friend who had the exact same prob and had surgery and are now doing great, I have determined that I need to get a second opinion. The problem is that I messed around with him for too long and now we leave in 12 days and I have this issue.

I know though, that it is minor and will go away, so I don't want to be a whiner.

I am sorry to hear you are in so much pain. If you are there more then a few days you may want to rent one at a off site place it will be cheaper and you can take it with you back to your hotel. I hope you have fun :-)
((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))
Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter