I think it's a Great Blue Heron!!

dandave

The more I travel, the more I appreciate coming ho
I sent this pic to the Audubon Society, so that they could help me ID this fantastic bird. They "think" it's a Great Blue Heron, but my pic is "fuzzy". Every time I tried to open the darned sliding glass door, though, I startled him. I finally got this shot through the closed glass.
Whatever he is, I think he is fantastic- and huge!!
I hope ya'll like him as much as I do!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3757&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500:D

These birds migrate up here, (N.E. Ohio,) and stay from May through October. They have a HUGE wing-span and are really something to see in flight!:D

Great Blue Heron
Ardea herodias

Description
39-52" (99-132 cm). W. 5'10" (1.8 m). A common large, mainly grayish heron with a pale or yellowish bill. Often mistaken for a Sandhill Crane, but flies with its neck folded, not extended like that of a crane. In southern Florida an all-white form, "Great White Heron," differs from Great Egret in being larger, with greenish-yellow rather than black legs.
Voice A harsh squawk.
Habitat Lakes, ponds, rivers, and marshes.
Nesting 3-7 pale greenish-blue eggs placed on a shallow platform of sticks lined with finer material, usually in a tree but sometimes on the ground or concealed in a reedbed. Nests in colonies.
Range
Breeds locally from coastal Alaska, south-central Canada, and Nova Scotia south to Mexico and West Indies. Winters as far north as southern Alaska, central United States, and southern New England. Also in Galapagos Islands.
Discussion
An adaptable bird whose large size enables it to feed on a variety of prey-from large fish and frogs to mice, small birds, and insects-the Great Blue has one of the widest ranges of any North American heron. This wide choice of food enables it to remain farther north during the winter than other species, wherever there is open water, although such lingering birds may fall victim to severe weather. Most Great Blues nest in colonies in tall trees; their presence is often unsuspected until the leaves fall and the groups of saucer-shaped nests are exposed to view. In late summer young herons disperse widely and may be encountered at small ponds, in mountain waters, or even in backyard pools-wherever fish are plentiful.

heron

Thank you, oleana!

I have a GB Heron story. Years ago a friend sent me one of those "this is not a chain e-mail, but pass it along and you'll get oodles of good things happen to you," note. It was regarding something I felt WAS a good story, and I passed it on. I took Buster for a walk, and 1/2 way through, I looked up and a Great Blue Heron was flying overhead. Now, I live in a suburb of Dayton OH, and this is RARE, the first that I had seen in my neighborhood.

In my 11 years here, I have seen them flying over occasionally, there must be ponds or creeks that they frequent nearby, but that was my first, and I always think of the story and my friend who sent it to me.

Bobbi:D

When I first caught a glimpse of him, I almost dropped my coffee cup. I never expected to see something that large playing in my "pond". I swear he was the size of a small child. I'm used to little birds. :teeth:

I have a small goldfish pond, and if ever one found it, bye-bye goldfish.

I'm so glad you spotted one and passed it along.

Bobbi;)

Wasn't it Mamu that had a blue heron clean out her little goldfish pond?

Oh yea, great blue heron. They are so beautiful. I think it's a great pic that you took. I never have much luck taking pics of them by the time I get close enough and focused they spot me and fly away.
Great to look at but as Bobbi said they are great at cleaning out fish ponds. My neighbor lost all of her koi to them. My ponds are so small it wouldn't take long to get all of my goldfish so I keep an eye out for them.

Ohhhh oleana, that was before my time here!

However, in the heat of summer and a drought, my pond became a refuge for no fewer than 3 garter snakes, and I still have golfish. However, viewing the pond in the heat of the summer hasn't been the same for me ever since.

Bobbi

We have them all over out here. Our marsh has had a pair nesting in it the past couple of years. The wierdest thing to see is when they fly up in a tree. We saw one land in a tree last summer, and I never knew before that they could do that.

Oh yes! Thats the guy.

Beautiful bird but I put them in the category as the woodchuck. They eat and eat till there's nothing left.

We have two of these lovely birds in our back yard. Ours are not shy. They have always stayed in the back yard. Last year I planted a very large area with grass seed inside our circle drive and these birds acted like they were at one of disneys buffet's. One morning as my DD was leaving for work she honked her horn to scare them off and they didn't even look up. They are a lot of fun to watch when they start dancing around each other. They are back this year and we are enjoying them. I have a small pond I put in last year and i'm hoping they leave the fish alone. susan

What a great pic! :) How cool, to have a GBH right in your own backyard! We see them regularly up at the cottage. :)

Bobbi, nice story and link, thank you. :)

Welcome to the F&G board, Poohs Pal. :) Your GBHs sound pretty brazen!! You'll have to let us know if they leave your fish alone! :)

Poohs Pal, Hi! My GBH hasn't been around in a while, but it's pretty dry here in my neck of Florida right now (so no tadpole pond).
Yours sound really confident. I guess if I were that large a bird looking at all the wee little little doves, robins, and such, however, I'd be pretty confident, as well. Mine must have an inferiority complex. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter