"I wouldn't fly to the US at the moment"

PoohBears#1fan

DIS Veteran
Aggghhhh!!!! Sorry, but if I hear that sentence one more time......

I'm amazed at how many people are not booking holidays at the moment and refuse to fly due to the Iraq situation, I do understand that people are scared, but IMHO if we put our lives on hold then surely terrorism has won?

Anyone else being viewed as the villiage idiot (ok slight exaggeration ;)) for flying to the US this year?

OMG Jo yes.

But then I was slated the other day for saying that I may take one of those Turkey offers up - after all there are some really cheap deals out there and Olu Deniz in Turkey is beautiful. And before someone comes out with the Urghh "cashing in on the war sentence" all I can say is I'm supporting our tourist industry and if we all stop booking holidays then people are gonna start losing there jobs.

I think anybody NOT booking their holidays now looks like the village idiot (and I do live in a village). The travel companies have anticipated this downturn and are cancelling contracts left, right and centre. This means that supply is shrinking, and when these people realise the error of their ways, the demand will rise. This will only push prices higher.

And then, to quote Homer Simpson, DOHHH.....

I got someone who said to me the other day after i said "god i'd love to be in america this year!"
This person's reply: "Do you even watch the news?!"

Yes i do but i mean why put our lives on hold? if anything is to happen its to happen,and thats that!
I think security is as tight as it can be!

I also got told "god disney will be the first place terrorists strike etc" its all nonsence!

I personally dont care, we flew after 9/11 and in my eyes it was more a "risk" then as it is now! because back then we didnt know what terrorists was capable of,now we do! and people,especially america and airlines are aware of this!

I'm sick of it but saying that i do think people are still booking going off virgin who are booked up for june and july and into august! it's nice to know people are doing everyday duties and going on holidays etc.

Life goes on so they say!

Beth

Personally, I'd feel safer flying across the Atlantic than working in Central London.

Hang on, I do !!

We're flying to California in 10 days time and we aren't at all worried about terririst threats. Security at airports and other public venues will be as high as it has ever been, so although 100% safety can not be guaranteed I don't think that we are any more at risk than in 'non-war' times. My only concern is that we might find excessive levels of American patriotism to be a little wearing. Not that there's anything wrong with American patriotism, but it's just not the British way of doing things ;)

San Francisco and Disneyland here we come...

Regards

Rob

Something is more likely to happen to you on your way to work. So does that mean I should really stay at home "just in case"??? Hell no. I ignore most of these people and I can't wait until the 28th when we leave.

Dave

Exactly right Dave, a point I always quote to my mother who does like to worry! I've been close to three IRA bombs in London over the years, and countless bomb threats which caused huge transport disruption. Travelling to San Francisco and Los Angeles is at least as safe as communting into London, and possibly more so. Can't wait...

Regards

Rob

Was going to WDW on April 12th and am still going on April 12th!
Whatever is meant to be will be. I am certainly no staying at home, because of something that I have no control over. Carolyn

Nice to hear some sense for a change. I come into contact with a lot of engaged couples via work and the amount who haven't booked a honeymoon has really surprised me.

My DH also works in the city and is always telling me how he's more at risk there - makes me feel so much better about him spending so much time on the underground!!! LOL

DONT LET THE TERRORIST WIN, WE WERE IN MAGIC KINGDOM THE MORNING OF 9/11 AND WERE EVACUATED BACK TO OUR HOTEL(ALL STAR MOVIES). THE TIGHTENING OF SECURITY AROUND ALL RESORTS PARKS AND AIRPORTS WAS ALMOST INSTANT AND WE ARE FLYING BACK TO ORLANDO THIS MAY, CANT WAIT AND WE WOULD HONSETLY FEEL SAFER IN THE US AS OPPOSED TO LONDON. SO DONT WORRY!

Didn't stop me in February and certainly won't in June for three lovely weeks on the West coast.
Claire :D

4 Days to Go............4 Days to Go.......we cant wait to jump on the plane and head for WDW.....In my opinion I dont think there has ever been a safer time to fly, what with all the extra security. I know nothing can be guaranteed 100%, but I'd feel more uncomfortable travelling under the channel

I can only echo what everybody else has said, were going in 5 weeks time and cant wait, I just wish I had a pound for everytime somebody asked me if Im still going!

We Disers must be a differant breed from everybody else!!!!. LOL

Jules

We are still going - definitely. We are also looking for a cheapo deal to Cyprus in the next few weeks too. Loads of cheap hols available there now ;)

Our Italian friend was supposed to be joining us in Orlando from Rome (we 're off 6 weeks today :Pinkbounc :smooth: ) and it now looks like she won't as her Papa has thrown such an almighty wobbler about her flying during the war! And she's in her mid-30's!!

Can't add to the above comments other than agree - seems you've got more chance of being bitten by a nile virus carrying mozzie or the current SARS virus issue (which may have arrived in San Jose) than war related issues...:(

Unfortunately I have no holiday booked to Florida in the near future but nothing would stop me going.The security is tight and with the no fly zone over Disney it's as safe as anywhere.The war is happening in the opposite directon and London is as much a target as the US.My attitude is I could get knocked down walking to the local shop and not come back so if I 've got to go I'd rather be in the sunshine having a good time .Luckily none of the guests in my home -even the ones with children -seem to be too worried by the war.I think they feel they work long and hard to be able to get to Disney and nothing or no-one is going to stop them.

We are off in 20 days - can't wait, my fear is just about the flying in general, other than that I am happy and confident about going to the States.

Perhaps the question should be "Who isn't travelling because of their concerns with the war and terrorism in general ?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter