ID for Children?

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
We will be going in Sept with our DD5 and DS almost 3. DD has been twice and is very good at staying very close to us and being very attentive. It will be DS first trip. He, on the other hand, likes to take his time and look at everything around him. He also doesn't seem concerned if we're out of his eyesight (I tested him a couple of times by intentionally moving away from him while keeping him in sight and he didn't seem concerned at all). We'll have strollers for both of them and are very good at keeping them very close to us. However, in a big park, I want to have a back up plan in case one of them gets lost. What are some quick ways of putting IDs on their clothes? Do people put a piece of masking tape on inside of bottom of shirt etc.? Would you put your name and hotel phone number, or their name? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Jo

My favorite idea for ID on kids is to use dog tags that you create yourself on machines in stores such as wal-mart. You can put your name, resort and I think the most important, your cell phone number.That way you can be notified right away when a CM spots your lost child. These tags can be laced into the childrens shoes! Even your three year old can be taught to show the CM his shoe if he is lost. I hope you never need these but better safe than sorry.

jordans mom

Your local DMV will provide you with state ID's for your kids if you take them down with their birthcertificates. I keep them with me. Additionally, my kids carry cards (which I have laminated) with their names, our names, our resort, and the names and numbers of an emergency contact back home. that way if they are found, they are easily helped, and if they are lost i have all their information on me as well.

fisher price makes a beeper type thing which we use at wdw as well. there are two parts which activate when seperated. you wear one and your child wears one. if they get to far apart, they go off. if hes close enough not to have set it off, but you cant see him you can set his off and follow the sound. if its taken off yours will sound off as well. I got mine from jcpenny catalog.

I've done the masking tape thing in the past, but my DD said it rubbed her skin and she didn't like it.

You can get "shoe pockets" that attach to tennis shoe laces. I use them when I go for a walk or run and that's where I put my ID and 50 cents for a phone. We'll transfer that shoe pocket to my 7 yo DD. I'll include my name, my cell phone number, and our resort information. She does a great job of staying close by and we've never needed her personal ID pack, but I feel better knowing we're all set in case of a problem.

I ordered a pet id tag for my nephew online. Go to a search engine and put in "pet tags" and tons of sites come up. I can't remember which one I used now. It was only $4.25, including tax and shipping. I will either lace it into his shoes, info side down, or the days he wears sandals, I'll safety pin it inside his shorts pocket. He will have just turned 5 years old, so he'll know to show it to a CM if he's lost.

Also, when we get to our first park on the first day of our trip we "introduce" ourselves to a CM (that doesn't seem too busy). We say something like "Hi John (or whatever name is on their name tag), I'm (Name) and this is (Name). This is our first day here and we're going over what to do it (Name) gets lost." The CMs are always great about it and seem to know exactly what you're doing and join right in the conversation. Then we point out the CMs name tag, and then the next few CMs have the same tag, etc., so he realizes if he gets lost he's supposed to go to a CM.

I'm probably overprotective, but I don't think the child's name should show in anyway, so that a stranger can't call them by name. My nephew will know to go to a CM and say "Hi, I am (name) and I am lost" and show them his tag. My tag is six lines and this is what fit on it:
If I am lost call
Aunt Renee Quinn
Cell xxx-xxx-xxxx
or xxx-xxx-xxxx
we are staying at
Boardwalk Villas

That way they have our resort (should my cell phone not work for some reason, or my sisters, which is the second number on the tag) and MY name, which is the name the reservation is in.

Sorry this is so long!

Originally posted by stacy6552
fisher price makes a beeper type thing which we use at wdw as well. there are two parts which activate when seperated. you wear one and your child wears one. if they get to far apart, they go off. if hes close enough not to have set it off, but you cant see him you can set his off and follow the sound. if its taken off yours will sound off as well. I got mine from jcpenny catalog.

I second the Fisher Price Child Locator. We've got one and we just love it. DD likes it because she has her own "beeper" :D Haven't had a chance to use ours at DL or WDW yet but have used it at the Mall of America in Mpls and it worked just fine there. We got ours at Amazon but I'm unable to locate it now. Do a search on ebay for Fisher Price Child Locator. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2045950481 They're pretty cheap on ebay. $8.99 I think we payed $35 for ours.

This year I made up small ID tags 1/2" x 1"on the computer - using itsy bitsy font sizes, lamanated them (using dollar tree finds- 3M self laminating kits) and poked holes to lace them on shoes/sandals. They have all the emergency info and even had room on one side for small Disney characters - cheap and effective.

I printed IDs from a website called: www.kinderstart.com I downloaded pictures of the kids, entered their personal information as in height, weight, age, etc. and printed them. Once I printed them, I typed on the back where we will be staying and a cell phone number. I then laminated them and the kids will carry one for themselves and I will carry one of each of them. Hope this helps.

Hi
We got the guest of honour badges for the kids with their names on it and put the resort name on the back
I remember a thread about getting lanyards, I think it was one they use to hold fishing licences in and putting a card with info on it. Of course we also gave our kids the talk about looking for a CM if "we" got lost, and made sure to point them out when we got to the parks.
Mary Lou

I make up a few address label type stickers before we leave with my name, resort name, and cell phone number and I stick them on her back so she can't peel it off. I have one for each day or change of clothes.

Just today, we were at a picnic and had to have wrist bands to get in. I put our cell phone number on our DS7's and sure enough, he couldn't find us, so he went to an employee and asked if they could call us. It worked like a charm. Gave him the added security of having us just a phone call away and saved lots of tear (both of ours). For our upcoming trip, I will make some "dog tags" for both of the kids with our cell phone number on there. Not sure I want their names on them because you never know who might be reading them. Will also check into the Fisher Price beeper idea....I like that for our DS2 who tends to have a "mind of his own"!

Originally posted by cgcw
. Will also check into the Fisher Price beeper idea....I like that for our DS2 who tends to have a "mind of his own"! [/B]

I have used the beeper on my past 2 trips to disney. I love it. i have 2 boys 13 months apart and that came in very handy. I also used the leashed on them, but I don't think I will get away with that this time. My older boy will be 5 and has asked me not to use it on him anymore. Just remember to give your half of the unit to someone else if you pop into a restroom or store without your child. I forgot to do that a few times, both of us were beeping like crazy! LOL

Originally posted by breana902

Just remember to give your half of the unit to someone else if you pop into a restroom or store without your child. I forgot to do that a few times, both of us were beeping like crazy! LOL

HEHEHEHEHE I thought I was the only one that did that!!!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter