• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If RCID is dissolved, what happens with DVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the WDW DVC Resorts are physically located in Orange County. Vero Beach is in Indian River County and would be unaffected if this is successful.

The All Star Resorts and ESPNWWOS are about the only guest accessible facilities in Osceola County.
Thanks! We added on at VB recently and It left me wondering if this would affect it as well!

My question is if it goes through, can someone reestablish it later on? And how would that affect the DVC

The only way for it to be established again...at least from my understanding...is by the FL state legislatures deciding to strike a deal down the road. How this impacts DVC? In reality, most likely in taxes that are paid as owners of property located in Orange/Osceloa county to start.

The other impact is that without its own "government" for lack of a better word, all development would need to go through the county process for approval. I can see this being a big hurdle for projects like the Poly tower. Right now, the RCID does it all.

We shall see!

Again it would not affect DVC in any way as taxes are already paid to the state. The property would still be private property so Disney would still be in charge or parking lots etc.

If the RCID is dissolved, and the county has to pick up costs for fire, etc., those are very likely to increase property tax rates for all residents, which in turn, would raise the rate we pay as owners as well. So, I do think there could be a potential impact.

If the RCID is dissolved, and the county has to pick up costs for fire, etc., those are very likely to increase property tax rates for all residents, which in turn, would raise the rate we pay as owners as well. So, I do think there could be a potential impact.
I am afraid it seems it would definitely raise the taxes for those types of local services, but again I think local residents would have to approve, so potentially couldn't they keep the same rates and the services currently used at Disney would simply plummet to much less acceptable levels of service?

Does anyone know how the taxes collected from DVC compare to Orange county? If Disney is charging more to get their levels of service, it could mean a tax decrease if Orange county can't afford current levels of service.

I am afraid it seems it would definitely raise the taxes for those types of local services, but again I think local residents would have to approve, so potentially couldn't they keep the same rates and the services currently used at Disney would simply plummet to much less acceptable levels of service?

Does anyone know how the taxes collected from DVC compare to Orange county? If Disney is charging more to get their levels of service, it could mean a tax decrease if Orange county can't afford current levels of service.

Honestly, that is a great question and I am not sure. But I thought we paid our property taxes directly to Orange County? Not to RCID

Honestly, that is a great question and I am not sure. But I thought we paid our property taxes directly to Orange County? Not to RCID
I believe that because the resorts fall inside the RCID boundary, RCID adds their own line items on to the property tax bills for the resorts. Could possibly be listed as either City of Bay Lake or City of Lake Buena Vista on the property tax bill.

Before RCID is dissolved, I read that all residents in the RCID must approve the measure.
Based on what I read, that is only Disney employees that live in RCID. They will not approve the measure if brought to a vote.
(DVC does not count as residents of RCID.)

I believe that because the resorts fall inside the RCID boundary, RCID adds their own line items on to the property tax bills for the resorts. Could possibly be listed as either City of Bay Lake or City of Lake Buena Vista on the property tax bill.
My thought was cost for the services township typically provide that Disney provides today are somehow being passed along to us anyway. If township took over these duties I imagine our taxes would go up but it would be offset by decrease somewhere else (possibly in taxes as well as pointed out above).

I personally do not view this as a clear win or loss for dvc in terms of impact to current resorts. I do imagine it may add more red tape to Disney making new resorts though.

It feels like the government is making a strong push for Disney Stockholders, and the board to remove Chapek, and maybe others. This was really kind of gaffe on Disney's side. I have read in a number of places Chapek's days may be numbered at Disney, but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if Iger may even step back. As for the DVC, I personally thing if the RCID is abolished, it will cost members more money overall through taxes. I don't think it would be very good for the citizens of Orange and Osceloa counties.

Interesting question I'm curious about as well, however disney levels of emergency services have been sub par lately so I wouldn't really fear it getting worse

This is around 4 months old:
https://www.ems1.com/staffing/artic...ort-staffed-at-disney-world-s06WdJMkPRDAVhxG/

It feels like the government is making a strong push for Disney Stockholders, and the board to remove Chapek, and maybe others. This was really kind of gaffe on Disney's side. I have read in a number of places Chapek's days may be numbered at Disney, but who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if Iger may even step back. As for the DVC, I personally thing if the RCID is abolished, it will cost members more money overall through taxes. I don't think it would be very good for the citizens of Orange and Osceloa counties.

Very good take on things. Besides an overall talking point for the GOP to use for the midterms it can also be used to push out Chapek and install a guy more willing to play ball so to speak. This was definitely a misstep for ol' Bobby

I don't see this having much effect upon DVC as Florida hardly wants to maim its goose that lays golden tourism eggs.

Lots of hot air that will blow on by before much longer, leaving RCID intact, I suspect.

Nobody else wants to take on the financial burden of road construction and upkeep along with the other RCID services Disney is so well equipped to support.

Much to do about nothing from what I've read on it. Disney already pays property taxes to both counties, the RCID mainly give them autonomy concerning infrastructure. They can build as they see fit as they dont have to answer to the two counties zoning laws etc. Take that away and they are like any other developer, gotta go through the normal county approval for all that.

Walts dealing with anaheim county approval stuff is why they pushed so hard for RCID when building WDW in the first place.

Oh as far as the money side goes, both counties are D so the R in control dont much care if it hurts those counties, not their constituents anyway. Super petty but realistically doesnt hurt R when it comes to voting.

DVC is its own entity, but a lot of the cost for running WDW and resultant debt would be transferred to Orange and Osceola Counties. I'm sure the counties would like the mutually beneficial agreement to continue as would WDW. On the other hand, the counties would have much more say in what WDW did in the future as to expanding or opening new resorts, and more opportunities to levy additional taxes.

Chapek has no "street smarts" so he had better have some good lawyers working for the company.

Last edited:
The optimist in me thinks if they dissolve RCID taxes should stay the same, or go down. Essentially keep the services RCID has running now and reduce the admin costs.

Realistically it's probably the opposite effect and somehow the counties will need to generate more taxes while providing worse services. The extra "red tape" the news says Disney will have to go through to build stuff is depressing. If it passes, I'm sure its not over, assume Disney will suit up in court.

Want to add, I wish they'd explain the financial impact of stuff like this before they rush a vote so they can at least hear from stakeholders and constituents.

Last edited:
Interesting question I'm curious about as well, however disney levels of emergency services have been sub par lately so I wouldn't really fear it getting worse

This is around 4 months old:
https://www.ems1.com/staffing/artic...ort-staffed-at-disney-world-s06WdJMkPRDAVhxG/
I forgot about seeing that - it is sad. But, even with that delay their response times were good.
Last fall our local 911 was called for a heart attack situation and the local EMS was over 20 mintues out from the end of the call. We feel safer at Disney than at home, as our EMS situations there have always been answered within minutes. (as much as I don't like having to know that) If anyone put Disney on a county wide system like that it would be a tragedy.

IMO, it's an empty threat and will not happen. That idea will die a quick and quiet death as soon as the County taxpayers realize how much their taxes will go up to pay for Disney's fire & police departments and the maintenance of the roads and bridges and other County services.
I sure hope nothing happens and that this is just more political posturing (which is annoying). Agree it doesn't make financial sense for the counties to take over the costs Disney covers for fire, etc. Reedy Creek fire alone has 200 fire personnel (hoping my firefighter hubby will "retire" into that job someday. 😉) and the road maintenance alone would likely kill their budget! Great question about how it might impact DVC though - but my understanding is that all resorts charge a tax on rooms, so that would likely go up and since we don't pay that, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter