• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you like Riviera now, what changed your mind?

We weren't sure about it before touring it and then we fell in love with it. The rooms are very much our style and I prefer the compactness of the resort and that the theming isn't over the top. The lobby certainly isn't enormous like Wilderness Lodge or GF, but it's also not too much smaller than Yacht/BC or Boardwalk. However, I don't stay at a particular resort based on the lobby though. I certainly appreciate it, but I'm not spending tons of time in the lobby. I'm also a Riviera owner.

Regarding people using the pool that don’t belong there....I have no issue taking a trip to the front desk and asking them to have someone do a random checking of magic bands. They used to do it quite often at other resorts at a time when people would use the resort pools when taking a break from the parks. Most pools didn’t have fences then either. And most pools now don’t have locked gates...only BLT, RIV and Stormalong. I could be wrong though.

Regarding people using the pool that don’t belong there....I have no issue taking a trip to the front desk and asking them to have someone do a random checking of magic bands. They used to do it quite often at other resorts at a time when people would use the resort pools when taking a break from the parks. Most pools didn’t have fences then either. And most pools now don’t have locked gates...only BLT, RIV and Stormalong. I could be wrong though.
BRV part of wilderness lodge requires a band as well.

I took a tour yesterday and really, really loved it. We were staying at Kidani (pools closed) so the compactness felt so relieving after all the walking we had to do at our resort. Rooms were beautiful.

Pools didn't seem to be a concern for me in terms of viewing them from the Skyliner. I could hardly even recognize that people were in the pool from the Skyliner, it's not exactly that close IMO.

We changed our minds after staying there. (At this point, I've stayed in every DVC on property and every room at RR except the grand villa.) We don't love over-the-top theming so we appreciate the subtle inclusion of Disney IP at RR. We like the above average take out and the easy access to CB's takeout. We love a casual meal in Bar Riva too (haven't eaten at Topolinos). We also think Sebastians is surprisingly good.

We like the casual evening vibe around the pools at night. We like the central location. We like that the busses aren't overly crowded. And we love the skyliner (a big surprise to us as well).

I agree there's an increasing problem with the feature pool. We saw families walking over in large groups from CB and waiting for people to open the gate so they could enter. I imagine this will get worse with the CB pool under refurbishment.

I don't understand the objection to the lobby ... doesn't Boardwalk have the same size lobby and everyone seems to love that resort? The lobby at BC is beautiful, but to my mind not very practical ... I hate having to walk through the large lobby coming from the pool or gym. Different strokes I guess.

Overall, I love the quiet vibe and 'easiness' of staying at RR ... easy to grab food or a coffee, easy to grab a bus or skyliner, easy to talk to someone at the front desk if needed, easy to find a place to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather, easy to get what you need without going outside in bad weather, etc. My two complaints would be the occasional confusion about busses when the skyliner is down and non-RR guests using the feature pool since it's too small to accommodate them.

I get it if people don't like it though. Some like a busier place. Some like to be closer to the action. My in-laws like 'condo' type places like SSR/OKW best. We thought we'd love Poly but decided we didn't after staying there last summer. We're going back to BLT this summer since we thought Poly was a nice place to visit but not to stay (for us). S'all good.

Love Riviera and if they ever let us use resale points to stay there we will stay more often! We have stayed there three times on cash reservations(during huge discounts) as add-on to our DVC points stays.

Definitely the best room design, space, and updates wise on property at the moment.

We changed our minds after staying there. (At this point, I've stayed in every DVC on property and every room at RR except the grand villa.) We don't love over-the-top theming so we appreciate the subtle inclusion of Disney IP at RR. We like the above average take out and the easy access to CB's takeout. We love a casual meal in Bar Riva too (haven't eaten at Topolinos). We also think Sebastians is surprisingly good.

We like the casual evening vibe around the pools at night. We like the central location. We like that the busses aren't overly crowded. And we love the skyliner (a big surprise to us as well).

I agree there's an increasing problem with the feature pool. We saw families walking over in large groups from CB and waiting for people to open the gate so they could enter. I imagine this will get worse with the CB pool under refurbishment.

I don't understand the objection to the lobby ... doesn't Boardwalk have the same size lobby and everyone seems to love that resort? The lobby at BC is beautiful, but to my mind not very practical ... I hate having to walk through the large lobby coming from the pool or gym. Different strokes I guess.

Overall, I love the quiet vibe and 'easiness' of staying at RR ... easy to grab food or a coffee, easy to grab a bus or skyliner, easy to talk to someone at the front desk if needed, easy to find a place to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather, easy to get what you need without going outside in bad weather, etc. My two complaints would be the occasional confusion about busses when the skyliner is down and non-RR guests using the feature pool since it's too small to accommodate them.

I get it if people don't like it though. Some like a busier place. Some like to be closer to the action. My in-laws like 'condo' type places like SSR/OKW best. We thought we'd love Poly but decided we didn't after staying there last summer. We're going back to BLT this summer since we thought Poly was a nice place to visit but not to stay (for us). S'all good.
The subtle theming was a big one for us, too. I don't necessarily mind the "over-the-top" theming of other resorts, but the reason we bought at RIV is because you are supposed to buy where you want to stay, and we were worried that many years of "lodge" or "African" theming would start to grate on my brain. That's less likely to happen at RIV, because the theming isn't in-your-face.

We love it and have gotten quite a few tower studios which are perfect for the times it's just us 2.

Think the worst thing is the skyline wait after Harmonious.

Really wish you could walk into Epcot near Africa, it's so close.

Have watched Harmonious a few time from the top, which is quite good since the music is piped in.

Riviera is not my style. We are Wilderness Lodge / Animal Kingdom Lodge / Grand Californian Villas kind of people - log cabins, wood & stone work, nature and animals.
That said, we did buy some Riviera points, site unseen, because I wanted to be able to book a weekend close to Epcot for Food & Wine Festival, especially once the kids are grown and my husband I might want to bop down for a long weekend, just the two of us. I REALLY wanted Beach Club, but much as I love the pool, DH doesn't want to own there because we're from MA (and it's themed to Cape Cod) AND we just couldn't stomach the 2042 expiration at the current resale prices (and BWV is also too much presently).

We finally got a chance to stay there last week. Do I love it more than CCV/BRV/AKV/GCV? No. But do I like it more than I thought I would? So much yes.
For one, the murals and artwork are gorgeous. The hotel is still not my jam, but the rooms are LARGE (we had a 2BR Lock-Off) and the kitchen nicely laid out (though I confess I prefer the corner style to to the gallery style), and we had a great view of Epcot from our Balcony and could watch the Epcot and MK fireworks (we checked in just as the MK fireworks started!). The resort was also small - another thing I confess I like - so getting around was easy, and much appreciated at the end of the day (unlike the walk of doom down the Kidani hallways, as we always seem to get a room down the end of the hall). I didn't get a chance to use the pool or the firepit, so I cannot comment on those.

But I REALLY loved the Skyliner. That access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios - and ability to walk around Caribbean Beach as well - was fantastic, and I did miss it once we moved to Boulder Ridge. That ease of access made me overlook the theming. I don't think we'll do LONG stays there, but I'm very happy to own enough for long weekends to focus on Epcot and HS as parks while there. (Admittedly, I wish there was a boat option. It's one thing I love about WL to MK, and YC/BC/BW to HS).

My only gripe is that the Skyliner stops running from Epcot to Riviera 1.5 hours after the park closes - which turned out to be 10:30pm for us. We learned the hard way, as we had done a late dinner after arriving at Beaches & Cream, and then took our friends (who had never been to Disney) around the Boardwalk to check it out. Kinda ruins the option of evenings at the Boardwalk, and there's no simply way back via Disney transportation. Thankfully one of our friends had their car there, and was able to shuttle us all home back to the Riviera.

I love Riviera and own 225 pts there. I don't mind the lobby in itself but I can't stand the tiny gift shop and the stupid staircase at the back. Store should be at least twice as large. It's truly laughable how small and limited it is and why not one large, expansive staircase?

Le Petit Cafe- best coffee on property! Try the cinnamon or almond cold brew. My daughter gets a lavender cold brew and loves it.

Primo Piatto is one of the best quick service locations on property- the overnight pays and pancakes for breakfast and chicken sandwich for lunch are delicious!

We’ve only stayed at Riviera once but find ourselves visiting there every trip (sometimes multiple times). I really thought we’d hate it, but we love it!

Le Petit Cafe- best coffee on property! Try the cinnamon or almond cold brew. My daughter gets a lavender cold brew and loves it.

Primo Piatto is one of the best quick service locations on property- the overnight pays and pancakes for breakfast and chicken sandwich for lunch are delicious!

We’ve only stayed at Riviera once but find ourselves visiting there every trip (sometimes multiple times). I really thought we’d hate it, but we love it!

I love the almond cold brew with this Italian liquor (can't remember the name) and it is heavenly...first thing I get as soon as I arrive!!! Looking forward to that Tuesday when I get there!!!

I love Riviera and own 225 pts there. I don't mind the lobby in itself but I can't stand the tiny gift shop and the stupid staircase at the back. Store should be at least twice as large. It's truly laughable how small and limited it is and why not one large, expansive staircase?
agree that staircase is ridiculous....very tough for just 2 people to pass....

I do wish that they controlled the access to the main pool better, though. When I was at RIV this past August, a party of 8 was getting very rowdy while drinking. As some went to Bar Riva for their "refills", I noticed that there was always at least one person left behind to open the gate for the others to reenter. When they finally said their goodbyes and was letting each other know where their rooms are, I heard Aruba and Jamaica and how taking the Skyliner back would be quicker than walking... On another day, a couple wearing Magicbands was stalking the entrance and piggybacked into the pool after someone scanned in. :guilty:

We hesitated due to the resale restrictions, but changed our minds on RIV when we realized how convenient the resort can be with everything (restaurant, coffee, quick serve, pool, the view) practically under one roof. Forgot our refillable mugs while at the pool? "I'll go back to the room and grab it." 10 minutes (tops) to get back! Can't say that at most other DVC resorts...I usually dread it if we forgot something in the room. It just makes for a nice resort-only stay, if we choose, and if we want to go to a Park, the Skyliner is right there!
I've seen this pool sneaking a few times at other places and it REALLY bugs me. Years ago at MK I listened to a large party try to decide if they were ready to head over to CR pool, and they were staying offsite!

• Wow
Reactions: EYL
few questions about Riveria--do all studio rooms have a balcony? Also, for the pull down trundle, what is the bug supposed to be from (movie)?

Loved it after staying there, even though DH feels it's a little noisy in the hallways (true).
I like the 'feel' of it and adore Primo Piatto. We are crazy about the skyliners so that, of course, helped my love for it. I liked GF but found it a little 'formal'. RR doesn't give me that feel at all. It's elegant in a peaceful way.

Did not feel a need to buy there because I don't like the limitations IF I would ever consider resale. Plus I love BCV / Poly that I already own and too old to buy more contracts. 5 is enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter