If you usually stay onsite... if you have to stay offsite where do you go?

Disneysince82

Mouseketeer
A family member of my mine is headed to DL next month on a short notice trip. They usually stay onsite(DLH & GCH) but are considering doing going off site this time. She knows I love to research for fun(I probably need a better hobby LOL) and asked me if I had any recommendations. She was was asking about the HOJO because she had seen so many post on Instagram about it. I noticed that it is pretty heavily promoted by a lot of Influencers, and also have noticed most of the DL ones post nonstop about it. Is it because they are getting comped stays or is it that good of a place? Ive never stayed at any HOJO, so I am just not really familiar with them. They are a family of 4 and plan to most likely do mid day breaks and are staying 5 days.

HoJo makes sense if the kids enjoy water play. if they’re not going to use the water facilities I think most here would agree that - while it’s perfectly fine - it’s not worth the extra cost vs some other options.
Unless things have changed they are not pool/water people, so I’m pretty sure the water play isn’t a big factor.

A family member of my mine is headed to DL next month on a short notice trip. They usually stay onsite(DLH & GCH) but are considering doing going off site this time. She knows I love to research for fun(I probably need a better hobby LOL) and asked me if I had any recommendations. She was was asking about the HOJO because she had seen so many post on Instagram about it. I noticed that it is pretty heavily promoted by a lot of Influencers, and also have noticed most of the DL ones post nonstop about it. Is it because they are getting comped stays or is it that good of a place? Ive never stayed at any HOJO, so I am just not really familiar with them. They are a family of 4 and plan to most likely do mid day breaks and are staying 5 days.
This is a VERY old (2011) thread for Walking Distance Hotel List
But it will give you an idea of what there is for off-site places.

If we aren't going to use the pool then we stay at the Desert Inn & Suites because they usually have the lowest rate.
If we plan pool time then we go for the Tropicana. Tropicana has a 5night discount.
Other popular options are Best Western Park Place Inn and Park Vue Inn.

Here are my $.25 cents worth on this subject, (it has gone up from $.02 cents worth because of inflation and higher interest rates etc)
HOJO was nice, offering discounts during that time but the walk whether is was midday or at the end of the day was a killer for us. Then we started staying at the BWPPI and it was like the clouds opened up and the sunshine came pouring thru even on a cloudless night in CA. We are from WA so you might get my drift on this.
It was so nice just to cross the street and you were home so to speak. While the pool is not great at the BWPPI it doesn't sound like that will be an issue but still nice to have as an option.
I have heard good things about Park Vue Inn and almost booked our stay there next Jan but opted for the Best Western Anaheim Plus.

Here are my $.25 cents worth on this subject, (it has gone up from $.02 cents worth because of inflation and higher interest rates etc)
HOJO was nice, offering discounts during that time but the walk whether is was midday or at the end of the day was a killer for us. Then we started staying at the BWPPI and it was like the clouds opened up and the sunshine came pouring thru even on a cloudless night in CA. We are from WA so you might get my drift on this.
It was so nice just to cross the street and you were home so to speak. While the pool is not great at the BWPPI it doesn't sound like that will be an issue but still nice to have as an option.
I have heard good things about Park Vue Inn and almost booked our stay there next Jan but opted for the Best Western Anaheim Plus.
I work in finance and am going to totally start sizing the $.25 line 🤣 I also grew up in the PNW so I get what you mean about rain!

I’ve heard good things about BWPPI & also Park Vue & Best Westen

My go to off site is the Fairfiled Inn...noting special but constantly predictably mediocre for when you just need a bed and shower. Everything else has been hit or miss for me unless you want a further walk like the Springfield Inn or Residence Inn...but I value proximity to the gates, My fav off site walkable is the Courtyard Inn but if I am paying that much would rather just stay at the PPH.

I’m halfway through a 5 night stay at Homewood Suites. Although I’m waiting to get through my stay to give it a ringing endorsement, I’m going to have to say I recommend it as an alternative option for someone looking for a larger (500+ square feet) “suite” like room that gives you fairly convenient access to the parks. Yes it’s not an easy walk directly from room to park, but having been sold using buses as part of the “Disney Experience” after a few trips to WDW, I can say I’m now more of a fan allowing someone to do a bit of the drive for me to get me to my room :)

Tonight when we lined up for the Toy Story bus there was someone complaining that “OMG we’ll be standing here for another 20 to 30 min….” A few of the larger double accordion busses later and the rather large line was done in about 5 min. Another perk is that the security lines in the AM are very short at the Toy Story busses and you can pre-clear at the lot before 11am so you are already though security when you hit the parks.

The hotel is okay and it does show some aging on some of the fabrics used (the retro orange used for the chairs and couches seems to be a very poor choice for wear resistance). The breakfast offered in the AM has been okay with some days better than others.

At well under 200 bucks a night on some discount sites, I think this will be a contender for a budget cash villa like room when we are low on our Grand Cal or Disneyland Tower DVC points….

I prefer the BWPPI and Desert Inn because they are mini-suites. That makes a big difference for us (we were going as a family of 5). They're also super close to the crosswalk. I'd stick with something easily walkable, personally, and that wouldn't be Hojo for me. It's nice but not worth the walk unless you want the water park feature.

BW are a bed+shower motel level places that challenges GC to location. -5min walk
Fairfield is more consistent motel -7-10min walk

Courtyard is nearest hotel level and great family 5 option -10min walk

'walking distance' -
Westin comes in next as close enough and nice enough - especially on DCA start days (follow the PP crowd in the back entrance) and return evening walks. 15min walk

RI/Springhill/Hyatt House - great suite options 15min walk

Toy story-Convention center: 15min bus + 5-7min walk
Homewood suites
Hyatt Place <---this is our family 4 adults offsite preference. Lots of space, breakfast included. Hop to ToyStory for AM and return rides.

I'm just back from a stay at Marriott Residence inn convention center. It's a great place to stay. I booked a one bedroom and was upgraded to a family suite (2 bedroom). We were a group of 3 adults and all slept in the main bedroom, but it was nice to have 2 bathrooms and different rooms for changing our clothes.

It offers a full breakfast every day with plenty of choices. We're on the fussy side and thought the breakfast was like eating at McDonald's. Coffee was great, though.

When staying offsite we’ll typically just stay at a marriot, due to their pretty much consistent reliability. We recently we just stayed at residence inn and before that had done the courtyard and westin, and we think the Westin was by the best so far.

If they’re used to staying onsite, will they be disappointed with a motel? I’m not a fan of motels and haven’t stayed in one in a really long time. I stayed at the HoJo one time about ten years ago and was VERY disappointed in it. Our number one offsite hotel is the Courtyard because my teen and toddler like the the waterpark, the rooms are HUGE compared to other hotels, and having two showers is a really nice. Next is the Westin, then the Residence Inn Convention Center. After that is the JW or Springhill Suites. I like the design of the room better at the JW, but the size of the rooms better at the Springhill.

The Hojo walk felt SO far to us when we stayed there. When we stayed across the street at the Best Western Anaheim Inn the walk back was so short, like 2 minutes. Your friend could consider the Candy Cane Inn. It's about a 10-15 minute walk, but has a designated shuttle. They renovated the entire hotel recently, and the grounds are super nice. It's set back from the road a bit.

We have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn when off site. easy walk to the parks, 10 minutes and you do not have to cross the major streets. As pp mentioned.....reliable shuttle is available as well. Nice grounds, nice rooms, pool, free parking, free ample breakfast, etc.

I prefer the BWPPI and Desert Inn because they are mini-suites. That makes a big difference for us (we were going as a family of 5). They're also super close to the crosswalk. I'd stick with something easily walkable, personally, and that wouldn't be Hojo for me. It's nice but not worth the walk unless you want the water park feature.
Spot on DizMe. While some feel HOJO is "just a few minutes further" but to you and me that few extra minutes is not worth it when you have some closer options. Especially now that my kids are young adults and the water feature is not a main attraction for us.

The Hojo walk felt SO far to us when we stayed there. When we stayed across the street at the Best Western Anaheim Inn the walk back was so short, like 2 minutes. Your friend could consider the Candy Cane Inn. It's about a 10-15 minute walk, but has a designated shuttle. They renovated the entire hotel recently, and the grounds are super nice. It's set back from the road a bit.
I know, right!
When we stayed at HOJO's I felt like I was walking for hours. Kept thinking I can do this, just. a. few. more. steps...

I know, right!
When we stayed at HOJO's I felt like I was walking for hours. Kept thinking I can do this, just. a. few. more. steps...
Yep, that's it exactly!

A long time ago, they used to have these special rates that included an "Entertainment Rate" (remember those Entertainment books that had categories for savings?), an AP rate, and I believe there was a DIS rate as well. I used to be able to get Hojo for $49/night back then, and sometimes it was $29 (if you were ok with the smaller rooms with the "eyebrow" windows). Those beds were small, but it was such a great price!

However, I got older, my kids grew up, and the Hojo rates continued to escalate. I didn't have to watch my budget as much and I stopped choosing Hojo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter