If you were building a new home, what would be your must haves?

Things I appreciate about my house:

outlets everywhere! - There is one in a hallway that I didn't understand when I moved here, but then realized I can plug the vacuum in there and reach every main room.

Things I would correct if I ever built my own:

separate AC zones for each floor! - Right now we have to freeze the main floor to make the upstairs comfortable for sleeping.

main floor storage!!!!

a screened back porch.

If it is a two story house make sure everything you need is on the main floor—BR, BA, laundry, etc.
Ah, no! The complete opposite of this.

Main floor gets a half bath, that's it. All bedrooms, full baths, and laundry upstairs. Downstairs is guest space, upstairs is family space.

We've built three houses, and I wish we would have thought about a 'pet room' with a large walk in shower for washing and feeding station, as TIKILYN mentioned up thread. Our laundry room serves the dual purpose now, but it's not optimal.
Fireplace(s) - we love a fire in the winter. We have a fireplace in the sitting room (where we spend most of our down time), a wood stove in finished basement, soon to be converted to a pellet stove, and a gas stove in the in-law suite for my father. I've never lived in a house without a fireplace.
Porch(s) - we are porch sitters, and have a 360 degree wrap around porch on the main level of the house, a walk out basement on the back to a covered patio, and a second floor small enclosed porch off the bedroom in the in-law suite. We love our porches and they bring us a lot of enjoyment.
We have outlets installed in the eves for Christmas lights.
This 1000%! we put a outlet up on the roof on the front of the house enabling us to plug in our big wreath over the holidays w/o cords being all over the place.

I regret not having a larger dining room, although in truth we don't use the one we have now. But for the few large family dinners I like to host over the course of the year it would be nice.

What I wish we would have done with our house (in no particular order):

* LEVEL lot. Probably about 80-90% of our yard slopes to one degree or another. Makes it hard to "play".
* More outdoor outlets. We have an outlet on our 2nd story deck, but not one outside the walkout basement.
* Multiple outlets near the eaves for Christmas lights. Switched from INSIDE the house (we did have one outlet placed and it's switched, but the switch is next to the outside garage door).
* A 2 1/2 (at least 2 1/4) car garage. Need just LITTLE more space.
* Easy attic access. Our builder wasn't allowed by code to put pull down stairs to the attic, they purchased the stairs and we installed them.
* Extra power (30A or 50A) outlets in the garage, ideally one on each side (thinking future plug in hybrids)
* Master shower should be large enough for two people. :love1:

Last edited:
I'd have a large walk in pantry for sure! An extra room for a home gym. Walk in closets in each room. Half bath far away from the living room. Nothing worse than feeling like everyone in the house can hear ya. A room over the garage that is finished to use as storage for Christmas stuff and all of the junk that you don't use but still want "just in case". As you can see, I have zero storage space lol.

I'd have a large walk in pantry for sure! An extra room for a home gym. Walk in closets in each room. Half bath far away from the living room. Nothing worse than feeling like everyone in the house can hear ya. A room over the garage that is finished to use as storage for Christmas stuff and all of the junk that you don't use but still want "just in case". As you can see, I have zero storage space lol.

We have a rather large home, 2800 sq, spread out over 3 floors. We have a grand total of 2 closets not located in bedrooms. That's it for storage space in this house. It continues to baffle me how the house is so big but has so little storage. We do not currently have a garage but are planning to add one at some point. I told DH when we build the garage I want to make it 2 stories and just have unfinished storage space on the second floor to get all that crap out of the house. He is unconvinced it is necessary. I bet he changes his tune when I threaten to start throwing out the boxes for his die cast NASCAR car collection because I have no where to put them and I'm sick of tripping over them.

Watching family age taught me the ability to accommodate recovery or home health care from procedures is a big thing so I agree with everyone who says wide doorways and wheelchair access (even temporary) that can accommodate a ramp on street level are important.
Put in hookup for a full bathroom on the main floor, maybe you have a laundry room that could be converted or even a space in the garage that can be set up to be converted to a freestanding shower, bathing was the biggest thing that landed a few people I know in a facility. My grandma was able to stay with us because our bathroom was up against a closet and the whole thing was able to be converted for bathing.
Tilt in windows, thought MIL was being silly when she did this but I get it now.
Taller toilet for knees with pull bars, seems a lot of people end up needing surgery or new hips and knees and this helps somehow.
Slots for holding cookware so you don't need to lift everything to get to a soup pot or whatever, arthritis makes it hard to move stuff around.

At least this stuff is on my list from observing others.

Last edited:
I don’t know how much you use your garage but I use mine like a shop - my goal is to have it heated and air conditioned as it’s like the 7 gables of hell and prohibitive for anyone doing anything in it. I plan also to install a mud room type area right before you go into house as no one uses front door in my house. This will also help with storage for those big Costco shopping trips
Another thing we have is an air compressor which required it’s own electric - another thing to consider if you are so inclined
For general information the garage will have to have its own unit to be in code in my area
I agree with laundry close to bedrooms as I HATE carrying it up and down stairs
As a person who has a spinal injury and has gotten older I can speak to issues with two story house (I have one) and the problems I face daily dealing with them - I can walk but I have issues - it’s a bunch of little things that make all the difference - counter heights / cabinet height - things that make you have to get a step stool - deep tubs etc
You want to think ahead and not have to remodel your house when you get older or God forbid something happens !!
Please keep us updated I’m so excited for you !!! Such great fun building your house !!! We expect pictures !!!

Ah, no! The complete opposite of this.

Main floor gets a half bath, that's it. All bedrooms, full baths, and laundry upstairs. Downstairs is guest space, upstairs is family space.

I have to disagree with this. Stairs can be a huge problem for people with mobility issues. Even a temporary circumstance--broken leg, knee replacement--can make those stairs impossible.

Instead, I encourage the OP to find a floor plan that's workable on (mostly) one level. Nothing wrong with attic or basement storage. Our current house was originally a ranch--the bedrooms (and 2 baths) are down a hallway, where guests wouldn't go. The master is the entire second floor, but there's a second master on the first floor--we plan to take out the tub and put in a large, walk-in shower in that bathroom.

I should also add that, in the south, people don't tend to keep their cars in the garage--it's typically used for storage and/or a workshop. The only time we park cars there is if we have a hurricane coming. Most of our neighbors couldn't even do that! But, the OP might want to plan for having a shop, if so desired. I would probably also put in an EV charging station--it's likely to be cheaper and easier as a new build, even if the OP has no immediate thoughts for an EV. (Are golf carts battery powered? A lot of communities use those, versus full-out vehicles.)

If I ever build a house I will include a sizable storage room on each level and use them to store holiday decorations, cleaning supplies, hide the kids’ gifts prior to Christmas/birthdays, etc. All the things that I either want to keep centrally located or don’t want to store in a sweltering attic or freezing garage.
we have a giant, long closet in the basement (was there when we bought the house) that we have all of that in. I want that on the main floor at our next house. I just had my husband add some hooks on the wall to hang off-season wreaths. My goal, though, is to have my tree on a dolly and just roll it out for Christmas and roll it back when i'm done.

For our retirement house...I'm wanting something smallish but with a detached garage/workshop in addition to the attached one....and then want to maybe add on a couple of offices. One for my husband and one for myself.

Last edited:
Single level home (if not single level, then master bedroom & bathroom on main level)
Bathrooms/showers with features to help as you age (zero walk in showers, built in seats, bars to help you get up, etc.)
Wider doorways
Security/alarm (built into house when house being built)
Tankless water heater
Attached 2 car garage
Generator (saw one advertised on TV, flat and placed on wall in garage...very cool. Don't know if it's any good, but it was cool)
Plenty out outlets and lights on ceilings (it's surprising how many homes I've seen with no lights in living room)
More accessible kitchen cabinets (I don't want to have to climb on a ladder anymore to reach things so high up)
Pantry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter